Why the long delays at RDCs etc?

Wheel Nut
FROM HERE
:
… every other post I read seems to involve a 6 hour delay at an RDC, ports or while stuffing a container. The others seem to involve waiting in a canteen while the inept planner allocates a truck and a job.

Is it down to inept planners who send the driver too early when a simple phone call to check on the situation at the delivery/collection point will solve the problem or is it something to do with the management of the delivery/collection point :question: :question:

You mean to say, ROG, that this is a topic that isn’t covered in depth in Mind Driving (aka the bible of ROG) :wink:

But seriously, I don’t think its ever something that will change, simply too many variables. Everything has to be checked in and checked out at both ends, drivers get there late, some get there early, some get there dead on time but with problems with their paperwork, or load, or the forkie’s on his break. A 5 minute delay at the beginning of the week can end up being 4 hours before the day is 8 hours by the end of day two.

If one staff member is off sick, or turns up 10 minutes late it all knocks on.

There are some places where there are never delays, on the whole these are those places that have less deliveries, or have only the same people in and out each day, or have HUGE staff levels and 100% guaranteed cover, and no idiots/timewasters/language problems/computer problems etc etc etc.

As much as we all moan about it, its not desireable for anyone to be stuck waiting, or rushed off their feet either way, if it was controlable, and the people cared enough, it would be.

Its just not one of those things that can be “fixed” I think.

Alex

ROG:

Wheel Nut
FROM HERE
:
… every other post I read seems to involve a 6 hour delay at an RDC, ports or while stuffing a container. The others seem to involve waiting in a canteen while the inept planner allocates a truck and a job.

Is it down to inept planners who send the driver too early when a simple phone call to check on the situation at the delivery/collection point will solve the problem or is it something to do with the management of the delivery/collection point :question: :question:

I think the reasons for it Rog is that the RDC get free storage and the last man to try to do anything about it lost his business. Discussed at length on these forums at the time.

tnn.co.uk/UKNews/plonearticl … 8838458324

I wonder how many hauliers raise a separate invoice for demurrage, and more importantly how many get paid

I go to a all of them for Culina to be fair it evens it self out over time I tend to get more quick or reasonable tip time than long one’s. OK Xmas and peak times is a pain but if you see how much women can put in them trolleys so a lot needs to go into RDC’s. But if you are polite and need to get tipped quick for a good reason ask if its possible. A sneering attitude and they will make you wait.
The problem with most drivers on salary they just want to get finished in record time and use all the excuses they can find. And don’t you think goods in staff have heard them all. Remember we all have bad days but try not to take it out on other people doing their job i would hate a goods in job.

Wheel Nut:
I wonder how many hauliers raise a separate invoice for demurrage, and more importantly how many get paid

Do you think that would help to prevent some of these waiting times ?

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

Do you think that would help to prevent some of these waiting times ?

It may when the accounts notice how much they are paying hauliers and it affects the chairmans bonus. The problem was getting the old paper tickets signed and I have blocked more than one gate trying to get a long delay signed for. Now with the electronic security systems, gatepasses and printed delivery notes, this should not be such an issue.

I would like to hear Interlogs take on this and let him explain why it takes over 2 hours to unload 26 pallets and maybe the same again to count them.