RDC's

I had to go to a supermarket RDC in Coventry yesterday. Only delivering 5 pallets, but to cut a long story short it took 3 hours, which apparantly was the average tipping time.
The reason claimed the RDC staff was they were basically overloaded by too many deliveries, much to the annoyence of many a driver who’d seen their schedules blown to crap.

Now the RDC had book in times. I’ve also read many postings on here of how RDCs often turn you away if your roll up late or early, & on the other hand it’s quite common to be left waiting 3-6 hours to be tipped (or even loaded).

When I got back my gaffer was rather miffed (not with me, but the RDC). As he had got to pay me around an extra 3 hours in OT, because of my hanging around, the job as far as he was concerened was hardly worth doing. ( I dare say the price he’d charged was based on me being in & out fairly quickly).

I was wandering though, how many hauliers charge RDC waiting times ?, when they delay their trucks so cronically espeically when you consider most operate these strict delivery times.
When you consider the amount of lost drops caused by being stuck at RDC’s, &
If you did a lot of RDC work, it could kill your buisness simply from the amount of lost deliveries.

You will never win against the supermarkets. A firm I used to work for tried charging Tesco for waiting time. He worked out welham green had cost him £300 in overtime over 6 weeks. They ignored 3 letters, so he upped the bill and got his solicitor to send one. He got a letter back saying they look forward to meeting him in court and his company and its employees are now banned from all Tesco sites

It would make the job a whole lot easier if everybody got banned from these places.

I was at M & S RDC Bradford the other day, got there early as I was wise to company’s excuses if you turn up late. Finally tipped 3 hours 45 mins after stated arrival time. Rang the boss who was not happy but I guess they stomach it otherwise they lose the business. I didn’t mind too much as paid by the hour (I was working for agency). On the other hand I was getting bored after the 2 hours! Lazy staff and poorly organised warehouse to blame perhaps.

I did a job for a haulage firm who charged Toys R Us 2 hours demurage as standard as they took so long, which they accepted.

OVLOV JAY:
You will never win against the supermarkets. A firm I used to work for tried charging Tesco for waiting time. He worked out welham green had cost him £300 in overtime over 6 weeks. They ignored 3 letters, so he upped the bill and got his solicitor to send one. He got a letter back saying they look forward to meeting him in court and his company and its employees are now banned from all Tesco sites

And there is the crux of the problem…Tesco (other supermarkets are available) are the type of “blue chip” companys that hauliers are keen to get on with. If you rock the boat…you are out and there are 3 or 4 waiting to take your place.

What I would have done is sent them an invoice, then a couple of reminders. If they ignored these, rather than getting a soliciter to write to them, I would have just issued a winding up order on them :smiley:

Secretelephant:
I had to go to a supermarket RDC in Coventry yesterday. Only delivering 5 pallets, but to cut a long story short it took 3 hours, which apparantly was the average tipping time.
The reason claimed the RDC staff was they were basically overloaded by too many deliveries, much to the annoyence of many a driver who’d seen their schedules blown to crap.

Now the RDC had book in times. I’ve also read many postings on here of how RDCs often turn you away if your roll up late or early, & on the other hand it’s quite common to be left waiting 3-6 hours to be tipped (or even loaded).

When I got back my gaffer was rather miffed (not with me, but the RDC). As he had got to pay me around an extra 3 hours in OT, because of my hanging around, the job as far as he was concerened was hardly worth doing. ( I dare say the price he’d charged was based on me being in & out fairly quickly).

I was wandering though, how many hauliers charge RDC waiting times ?, when they delay their trucks so cronically espeically when you consider most operate these strict delivery times.
When you consider the amount of lost drops caused by being stuck at RDC’s, &
If you did a lot of RDC work, it could kill your buisness simply from the amount of lost deliveries.

Had the same thing at Palmer & Harvey a couple of times, seems to be a Coventry thing.

s
[/quote]
And there is the crux of the problem…Tesco (other supermarkets are available) are the type of “blue chip” companys that hauliers are keen to get on with. If you rock the boat…you are out and there are 3 or 4 waiting to take your place.

What I would have done is sent them an invoice, then a couple of reminders. If they ignored these, rather than getting a soliciter to write to them, I would have just issued a winding up order on them :smiley:
[/quote]
Isn’t that what Wilds transport did to Tesco several years ago?

RDC Lidl, can`t remember which one, but it is in the SE of England, not Enfield…Anyways, one pallet and about 10 - 12 drivers in a queue with one bird on reception/booking in. I was not having it, asked for the manager…Got him and got tipped as I explained my predicament.
:sunglasses:

truckerjon:

semtex:

No, Wilds just parked his trucks across the entrance, blocking them off. No-one could get in or out. IIRC thats the reason the rozzers got involved and he was told either you move them or we (the police) will!!!

Semtex:

truckerjon:

semtex:

No, Wilds just parked his trucks across the entrance, blocking them off. No-one could get in or out. IIRC thats the reason the rozzers got involved and he was told either you move them or we (the police) will!!!

I lived near the head office in cheshunt at the time. He did a rolling road block around the estate, which runs parallel with the high street. Bloody hilarious. Took 2 laps to bring the high street to a halt, causing tail backs to the A10.

Tesco used to advertise that if there were more than two customers at a checkout they would open another one. Perhaps they could extend this idea to RDC’s, if there are more than two lorries waiting they will clear the backlog. Silly me I am dreaming again.

A few years ago i worked for a certain brewery,after many years of waiting hours on end at tosco dc’s they told them “if you want to sell our beer,you collect it”,it happens to be the biggest beer brand in the country,and to this day they are still collecting it.

OVLOV JAY:

result :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

As I have said before, you have to blame the suppliers for tolerating the behaviour of supermarkets. If firms like Nestle, Heinz, Kelloggs, Premier Foods, P&G told the supermarkets that they wanted their goods tipped within 1 hour of booked time, they would have to comply or have empty shelves. It’s not rocket science is it. It just takes a bit of effort to tell businesses what is expected of them.

You wouldn’t wait two hours at a check out and you wouldn’t bother to go to a store that didn’t have any of the above manufacturers goods in stock.