Why is it so difficult to ....(Devon)

Hi all,

I have been a qualified class 1 driver since October 2014 and been looking ever since for a company to give me further training especially in shunting/ reversing. I think the best would be a double manning scenario and be able to learn from an experience professional… I have wrote emails to companies ( got conned by a big and famous one in Cullompton ), offered my services for min wage, registered with every agencies and even paid for further training ! ( can’t buy experience)
The famous big haulage company offered me free training if i was to sign a contract to work as a class 2 with 20 daily pallet deliveries for one of their sub business. to be told 3 weeks later that they don’t have the time to train a rookie but I could get free forklift training if I wanted to instead.

I am keen to relocate now even abroad !
Ok I’m 40 yld but I’m fit, bright enough, could be working for a company for 30 years still and I have a clean licence.
Please give me your thought and opinion… Good and bad… Thanks

please don’t take this the wrong way chap, but in my personal opinion you gain experience by doing the job.
I does sound you are lacking in confidence in yourself and your ability to do the job.
As a new driver or even a old hand we all make mistakes, even myself after 20 yrs of driving don’t get it right all of the time.
The biggest problem for companies is that they don’t have time to do continual training in driving skills,(after all you passed a test so they see you should have a certain skill level to be able to do that) that’s something that will get better the more you do it.
This job is so time critical it does put pressure on drivers, but my advice would be just keep plugging away applying for jobs. Get in a truck and start to learn because you will find that even after 20 yrs you will still be learning.

Good point taken thanks. Yes I do lack of confidence I agree… I need to get over it I agree and perhaps be honest with employer about my situation. Thanks for responding to my message