Struggling New Class2 Driver

Hi guys,

As the subject line says, I’m new to HGV driving (passed everything 20th December), and I’ve been looking everyday since then for work. But unfortunately it seem that everyone out there is wanting experience, even the agencies are showing experience needed, anything ranging from 6 months to 2 years. Is there any other way of getting experience as so far I haven’t even had any unsuccessful replies, let alone ones moving onto the next step. I’ve even offered to do a couple of days voluntary or just going out with other drivers to build up my experience but with no luck.
Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

It might help a bit if you tell us where you are.

Anyway, agencies are only rarely the way forward. You need to get out there and knock on doors. Visit everyone around who runs trucks. Go clean and tidy and try to talk to the decision maker (Transport Manager or owner). Make friends with them. If they don’t have anything for you, ask them who you might try next. If you are still looking in a couple of weeks, pop back and see them again.

Successful people are prepared to do what the average person will not do. It may not be easy but it is your best chance and has worked for many on here, including me.

Sorry about that, I live in Hartlepool.
I think the most annoying thing about all this is there is plenty of work out there, but unfortunately I don’t have the extras to go for them (HIAB, EPIC, CSCS etc.), and I’m not in a position to be able to afford to get them at the moment.
I’ll have another run around all the local businesses and see if I can get my name out there a little more.
Thanks Alan, nice to know that there’s a place like this on here where us new guys can get an experienced view of things.

Private message sent - check your inbox.

How far from hartlepool would you travel?? Fracks over in Newton Aycliffe where advertising very recently also a couple of firms in Durham.

As I’ve mentioned to everyone I’ve spoken to whilst looking, I’m willing to put some distance in for work. As long as break even I’m happy as it’s experience, and gets me back into work. Really starting to pull my hair out now, as the highlight of my week is the occasional run out to the shops :confused: ha ha ha.

I’m going to have a run over to a few places tomorrow, and see if I can get drum up some work. Thanks Boo :slight_smile:

Have a look at Vosa website under applications/decisions pages.
It lists small to large firms with their location.
There are one man bands that may be after a driver.
Owner drivers looking for holiday cover.
Any farms that operate trucks nearby?
Refuse/Recycling firms?
Parcel multi drop couriers?
Food and drink deliveries to hotels/pubs and shops?

try tipper and skip firms… they take a lot of new drivers… :laughing:

Is there a Robert Wiseman nearby.They take on newbies for milk tanker work.Farm collections to the dairy.
Katem Intetnational Ltd,not sure if they have class 2 work or not.
I would put an advert in the local paper titled driver seeking work.
You never know,you may get lots of job offers.

Hi,

I’ve got to agree with a previous poster - get out there and go knocking on doors. I did agency work in Lincoln area immediately after passing my test last suumer, but it has dried up since Christmas. Anyway, mid February, I started calling round the firms, called at 4 in the first go, and got offered work by 1 of them within 4 days :slight_smile: Now I’ll be driving 26T Iveco with HIAB.

If you can muster 250 beer tokens for the HIAB cert, it might be worth it, I’m told this is the season for HIAB work, and the building industry is getting going again. I did my HIAB at Doncaster GTA (RTITB) in January, it was about 250 or so for the 3 days for a novice.

Good luck with it fella

Steeps

Maybe try somewhere that runs 7.5s as well as rigids. They will always need holiday and sickness cover. Our place runs vans, about 20 7.5s and 2 12 tonners.

Occasionally we have to hire in bigger stuff, amazing how 12 tonne “mega drivers” brick it when shown a 26 tonner.

Bring it back empty, and nice and straight, and you’ll get it more and more.

In my case you also get first dibs on the nicest 12 tonner when the star driver leaves.

Not had my class 2 for 2 years yet, and I’m now the only full time HGV driver at our place. (Two drivers share the other one)

On another note, I believe many folk are crying out for ADR drivers. You can kill 2 birds with one stone, as taking this course (and any other for that matter) will count towards your CPC.