Tough for a newbie

Hey ya

I’m gonna put it out there! It really is tough for a newbie to get a job. I know this subject comes up a lot but it’s nice to read everyone else’s experiences with job hunting as a freshly passed young padawan. I’ve come to the realisation that finding the ideal job just ain’t gonna happen straight away but that’s not a negative comment. I understand the needs of an employer who owns or leases hundreds of grands worth of trucks. It’s a big deal. I have applied for countless jobs and visited various companies but to no avail. I’m in touch with an agency who may be willing to give me a go so am grateful for that. You just gotta persist that’s a fact. It’s funny Coz I can walk into other jobs I am experienced with but can’t just change careers so easily. When you’re stuck in a job you’ve been doing all your working life, change don’t come easy. There have been times where I thought “have I made mistake and wasted a crap load of my hard earned cash training and achieving my qualification” but then think what an achievement!! It’s not easy to obtain a lorry licence this day and age, it’s taken me 5 months. I just hope that all my studying and dedication will soon pay off. I’m still buzzing and still optimistic and will keep trying. You should too. If anyone had any contacts in London or Buckinghamshire then let me know. Thanks.

The HGV job market is very regionally diverse, in some area’s jobs seem to be difficult to find whereas in other areas (like here in Nottinghamshire) there are loads of driving jobs on offer.

In your circumstances the agency route would probably be the way to get a foot in the door and gain driving experience.

MickyB666:
The HGV job market is very regionally diverse, in some area’s jobs seem to be difficult to find whereas in other areas (like here in Nottinghamshire) there are loads of driving jobs on offer.

In your circumstances the agency route would probably be the way to get a foot in the door and gain driving experience.

I totally agree mate. The funny thing is, there are 400 plus jobs round my way so still loads to apply for. I’ll get there eventually I know. Agency is where I’m headed but am just worried I won’t have enough regular work to pay me bills but gonna do it anyway. I just wanna drive man. I love it.

Doobz84:

MickyB666:

I totally agree mate. The funny thing is, there are 400 plus jobs round my way so still loads to apply for. I’ll get there eventually I know. Agency is where I’m headed but am just worried I won’t have enough regular work to pay me bills but gonna do it anyway. I just wanna drive man. I love it.

Try and put a bit of cash to one side to ride out any short term slow periods you might encounter, agency work should be plentiful from now until after Christmas but in order to keep busy you will probably have to accept being shunted around from job to job and be prepared to take short notice work and crappy jobs, all good experience though, sign up to at least a couple of agencies, if one goes quiet you always have another option that way - Crack on drive and Good luck Pal!

I found that HGV firms tend to favour the good old fashioned knocking on the door technique of recruiting.

I applied for different agencies and a dozen different companies and never got a single phone call from them (I might get them. There’s still time) but I got a job in a local small company. The money is alright and the multi drop is easy enough. I’m only in for the experience.

Nice to hear guys. Gonna keep pressing on.

Anyone who persists and isn’t fussy about what they do, will get there in the end…
Yes agencies advertise fictitious jobs to increase driver numbers on their books, but it’s also probably true that they give work to drivers that politely pester them regularly, it’s the best way to shut them up and stop pestering! :wink:

Best of luck, and don’t be shy!
Go and knock on some doors personally, handing over your CV with a quick pitch on how keen you are… :smiley:

Doobz84:

I’m new like you. I’ve be out of work 5 weeks now. Couldn’t get a job for 4 week with agencies so I give up on agencies because they are unreliable for new driver but keep going to them. I want direct to companies and company websites, Called, knocked and sign every application form I can and I got job yesterday with company that give new drive choice. Be persistent but keep your normal job until you find the hgv job.

5 months to get your HGV licence? Why??

Roymondo:

Took me a similar amount of time, waiting for provisional licence to come back, booking in and completing medical, waiting for theory and hazard perception tests, booking and waiting for HGV lessons and test, completing CPC, sending off for digital tacho card, it all takes time and you have to be patient.

MickyB666:

Roymondo:

Took me a similar amount of time, waiting for provisional licence to come back, booking in and completing medical, waiting for theory and hazard perception tests, booking and waiting for HGV lessons and test, completing CPC, sending off for digital tacho card, it all takes time and you have to be patient.

I had and passed my medical on 1st March. Due to medication I am on they requested a doctors report. I have phoned and told I have passed. Then got a letter saying passed and licence in post but I am still waiting. Once I have it I am looking at a minimum 3 weeks to get a theory/hazard perception test. So it is likely to be early/middle June before I can even think of booking practical. I was told it roughly 6 weeks wait for a slot at that. That will be mid/late July. Then still got C&E to book. 6 weeks again be late August to early September, 5-6 months, assuming pass both first time!

Roymondo:

Yeah quite literally because of test dates for theory being booked up and course availability and booking time off work etc. Well worth it though and learnt a lot in the process.

Moreno33:

Doobz84:

I’m new like you. I’ve be out of work 5 weeks now. Couldn’t get a job for 4 week with agencies so I give up on agencies because they are unreliable for new driver but keep going to them. I want direct to companies and company websites, Called, knocked and sign every application form I can and I got job yesterday with company that give new drive choice. Be persistent but keep your normal job until you find the hgv job.

Cheers mate. Well done on the job. Nice to know it can be done.

Evil8Beezle:
Anyone who persists and isn’t fussy about what they do, will get there in the end…
Yes agencies advertise fictitious jobs to increase driver numbers on their books, but it’s also probably true that they give work to drivers that politely pester them regularly, it’s the best way to shut them up and stop pestering! :wink:

Best of luck, and don’t be shy!
Go and knock on some doors personally, handing over your CV with a quick pitch on how keen you are… :smiley:

Cheers Evil. Gonna keep doing that. Thanks for your advice. Always appreciated. :slight_smile:

You think getting a job as a newbie is tough .
My lad spent 4 years working as a trainer and training as an air traffic controller March this year he threw in the towel he’s now working as a dispatcher at our local airport , he’s still applying but there’s not much out there now .
I keep telling him keep trying but where he was he was spending more in living than he was earning . Now it costs him £1 each way to get to and from work , no running costs of a car etc give it a few months and he’ll be back in the black in his bank and starting to live again

nick2008:
You think getting a job as a newbie is tough .
My lad spent 4 years working as a trainer and training as an air traffic controller March this year he threw in the towel he’s now working as a dispatcher at our local airport , he’s still applying but there’s not much out there now .
I keep telling him keep trying but where he was he was spending more in living than he was earning . Now it costs him £1 each way to get to and from work , no running costs of a car etc give it a few months and he’ll be back in the black in his bank and starting to live again

Wow that’s a serious amount of time to then throw in the towel. I sympathise mate. He sounds like a strong person to have battled through it though. All the best.

All that talk and I now have an interview this Saturday with a company that deliver oil and collect waste oil. Cooking that is. Gonna be lots of heavy lifting but I could do with losing a few pounds. Dosh ain’t too bad either and it’s days, Monday to Friday so fingers crossed. They know I’m a complete newbie as well but seem more than happy to give me a shot so let’s see.

Doobz84:
All that talk and I now have an interview this Saturday with a company that deliver oil and collect waste oil. Cooking that is. Gonna be lots of heavy lifting but I could do with losing a few pounds. Dosh ain’t too bad either and it’s days, Monday to Friday so fingers crossed. They know I’m a complete newbie as well but seem more than happy to give me a shot so let’s see.

Good luck mate :smiley: :smiley: