Why i said not thanks to tipper work

Agency asked if i want some tipper work, but after seeing the video i said no thanks, won;t be able to fit ladder in my bag as well :grimacing:

youtube.com/watch?v=O7SWnc-f … re=related

Bloody Tarmac lorry drivers! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink:

what was the guy thinking when he tried to pull it down with his hands while standing beneath the cab ,what a numpty

This is the reason some big quarries are thinking of banning chutes on the back of wagons.

Problem is that the driver has to trust one of the tar gang to watch the body up. If the driver has loaded the material too far to the front and, especially if it has had a lot of time to go hard, it can move pretty rapidly. If it bangs on the back door the scenario in the video can quite easily happen.

I always put mine up very slow and try not to put it up too far, too early. The process of getting this one down did look bloody dangerous though!

was it too simple to drag the tarmac out the back with the digger parked there ?

weve a bit of spare tarmac do your drive sir :laughing:

jonnieboy:
was it too simple to drag the tarmac out the back with the digger parked there ?

I was thinking the same :question: maybe that’s to easy. perhaps they just wanted to keep the driver hanging around :smiley:

Almost been in that situation myself when we were tipping into barrows facing up a steepish hill, the ganger told me to shut the taildoor and tip some to the rear as they couldn’t reach it with their rakes. All went well until the body wouldn’t come down again!! Luckily there wasn’t a lot of material left so I gingerly moved the truck across the slope, no problem as all the weight was at the rear, and the body dropped. Phew!! Got a rollocking off of the ganger for holding the job up though, but I learned early on with tarmac gangs that truckers were second class citizens and that whatever went wrong it was always the drivers fault, never theirs.

Pete.

jonnieboy:

weve a bit of spare tarmac do your drive sir :laughing:

As the back door is against the floor, you would have to remove the sheet (which is possible) and then lift the tar over the back arch using the bucket of the digger. Once you’ve removed sufficient material, the balance of the weight shifts. You would be in trouble as the arm of the digger,complete with bucket full of tar, would catch on the rear arch as it swung back down to earth!

Diggers reaching into the back of a tipper can do a lot of damage,either to the tailgate or the floor of the body,as windrush says you can’t win with tarmac gangs,they couldn’t give a sh*t about drivers or the lorry.

Never done tippers myself so was wondering why the driver climbed the ladder to get back in the cab? Maybe to use some controls? He’d have felt it if it came down all of a sudden!

44 Tonne Ton:
Never done tippers myself so was wondering why the driver climbed the ladder to get back in the cab? Maybe to use some controls? He’d have felt it if it came down all of a sudden!

Not really sure, maybe to push the tipping control into the ‘down’ position. Its possible he sent the body up without actually being in the cab.