Tipper Drivers.....grrrr.!

On Thursday afternoon (05/08/04) around 2pm-ish i was travelling westbound on the A5 between Norton Canes and the A34 junction at a speed of 45mph on the single lane stretch, when checking my mirror i noticed a tipper on my tail , in my opinion he was too close to me so i moved as close to the kerb as i could get without scraping the tyres, hoping he would pass,no he didnt ! He stayed right on my tail and without any indication of any kind he pulled out and sped past me only to join the end of a queue approaching the roundabout. I thought "what was the point of that?" her could see the road up ahead was getting busy so why go to effort of moving up one space? I know 99% of tipper drivers are o/ds and paid per load but in my opinion that does not excuse poor driving, after all, it`s a dual carriageway after the roundabout, and before anyone says it, i know not all tipper drivers are the same as this one i encountered. What do you think??
cheers ,
roy…

deleted

Rob i drive a 8 wheeler tipper and i take your point, my firm is well laid back and if you drop a load they accept it ok,but when we work with other firms whose drivers r up your backside i just let them by and let them do whatever.
Even this week working nr Wakefield a other driver beat me to the shovel loader by going through a no entry sign just to get by me, i found out why as there are on bonus per load,if that was me id find a other job.
I have done freezer and general haulage and we all know every firm has the prats who has to think they are better than you, i have to admit i like to run on my own some days then a load off us, but a the minute i enjoy the place im at,the day i dont i will go.

I was doing tipper work a few months back. the boss was getting pieved because I was doing 6 loads & other lorries were doing 7/8 loads. I explained I was having to :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: about sheeting & unsheeting & knotting down every load when other lorries had ezysheets. Told him where to go & if he wanted more loads day he should invest in better trucks.

I would not do 8 wheel tippers again. Too much competition.

It reminds me of a film yonks ago hells drivers :smiling_imp:

you were nearly right it was HELL DRIVERS and still the best trucking film going. patrick mcgoohan was brill in it.

i I dont think its just the tipper boys Roy, theres aint no shortage of [zb] brains in all sections of haulage, ive been tailgated and carved up by all sorts! im a bit biased i admit, as ive spent a few years driving buckets, and have some good pals in the game still.

The Hell Drivers! :laughing: thats the best lorry film I ever saw, we did a site job one time in 8 leggers, and had a plastic ■■■-case as a joke, for who did the most loads, in the film it was a gold one :sunglasses:

Small one.L.:wink:

Hell Drivers was on the telly on Friday (daytime, pity we were all at work…)

I was on the M40 recently, doing 65 in the 7.5 tonner, and barely catching the 2 scania tippers in front, both of whom caught up with a truck in lane 2 and went into lane 3 to get past. Professionals at work…

My brother spent some time on the tippers. There is definite pressure to get the most loads in the body. The drivers there were on a percentage of the truck earnings so the more loads = more cash in wallet.

Calv

They are the same the world over :exclamation: wait till you are driving at 68 mph along the New York thruway and one passes you pulling TWO 48 ft tipper trailers at almost 80 mph :exclamation: Scary or what :open_mouth:

I nearly applied for a tipper job a couple of weeks back, that was until they were working jus down the road and i saw the way they were all going all out to get the job done. I kept a close eye on the trucks in question , & I knew where they were tipping,& in a round trip that would take any other driver 45 mins they were rattlling it off in 30 -35 mins.I dont mind working hard but im not going to break me neck doing it. They were paid to do so many loads per day & after that it was all on bonus, not for me,i`ll stay on the milk ,easy money.

Yeah, it’s the same here. I was once offered a job pulling double 45’ garbage tippers here. They paid by the run, and from what I knew was possible, it worked out to only about $11/hr for pulling doubles!! That’s 95’ of trailers and dolly, pulling a total weight around 70 tons total, plus breakdown (only 1 trailer is allowed off the thruway at a time). I can see why those guys are always driving like maniacs.