Why do some truckers drive such crappy cars?

commonrail:
Always said I would treat myself to something tasty,when I was 50.
48 now and started looking around.
Just want something to tuck away for special occasions…take it to the grave.

Buy a Hearst, that’ll take ya to your grave.

Pleased to see many have the same thought process as me. I’ve got a £500 Transit Connect its ideal, doesn’t matter if it stands in a dusty dirty farmyard for days.

I always scratch my head over why people continue to buy German cars, despite the Euro surely putting them out of reach of most people by this point?

They might drive nice, but so do Fords - but Fords can be fixed with any old bits, whereas “official” Merc parts - cost a bloody fortune, especially if you have to resort to buying them at places like Halfrauds…

When I got one former old banger smacked up the arse in 2014, the insurance payout from the other side who rear-ended me - was double what I paid for the car.
How can I go wrong with a deal like that?

biggriffin:

commonrail:
Always said I would treat myself to something tasty,when I was 50.
48 now and started looking around.
Just want something to tuck away for special occasions…take it to the grave.

Buy a Hearst, that’ll take ya to your grave.

:laughing:

Winseer:
I always scratch my head over why people continue to buy German cars, despite the Euro surely putting them out of reach of most people by this point?

They might drive nice, but so do Fords - but Fords can be fixed with any old bits, whereas “official” Merc parts - cost a bloody fortune, especially if you have to resort to buying them at places like Halfrauds…

When I got one former old banger smacked up the arse in 2014, the insurance payout from the other side who rear-ended me - was double what I paid for the car.
How can I go wrong with a deal like that?

I’ve just chopped my 69 plate Fiesta ST Performance edition in for a 2015 M4 Winseer.

Trust me chap, Ford’s don’t drive as nice as 450 bhp German M cars…

Some people like car/motorbikes…so aspire to nice ones.
As for Germans.
I got my(outgoing)t6, for 9 bags off list.
5yrs warranty and 2 year service intervals.
Still a lot of money for a van,but when you spec the vauxhall up to the same level,it was more expensive.
Ford,and all the ones made in France are sheet.

Do the Germans even make a bad car? I concede that Mercedes used a lot of dodgy Chinese steel back around 2000 that was prone to tin worm, but as a whole is there a bad German car? No expert btw, just asking the question.

Mercedes had a dodgy period where they were in collusion with Chrysler… in an attempt to crack America.
Still not producing the quality they used to…but who does?

commonrail:
Mercedes had a dodgy period where they were in collusion with Chrysler.?

Ah, the epically poor Crossfire! Basically a non convertible SLK made out of chocolate and rabbit droppings! At least Mercedes had the good sense to keep their name off it.

Agreed

the maoster:

commonrail:

Ah, the epically poor Crossfire! Basically a non convertible SLK made out of chocolate and rabbit droppings! At least Mercedes had the good sense to keep their name off it.

May this one never be forgotten:

My mate bought a jeep compass.
Had the 2150 Merc diesel engine in it…but the rest of it was awful.
He only kept it,about 4 months.

ETS:

the maoster:

commonrail:

May this one never be forgotten:

Made in Brazil what did you expect?

The wife has a 67 Fiesta and I find it the worse thing ever to drive. The lads older 2008 Fiesta was comfier until his accident, the daughters KA is the best little car I have driven. My SEAT will be another SEAT

one of the richest men in Suffolk drives an old S1 landrover but it has new Ford Transit mechanicals under it. Hes scruffy ginger frizz and hangs around with doleys as mates, quite convincing . Nacton Nick is his moniker for a while he ran a greasy spoon at Darsham on the A12 ,all a cover as he is a multi millionaire in reality .Last time i saw him at a bikers meet on Felixstowe seafront he was on old moped it wouldnt start this drew attention to him poor bugger cant afford a classic scenario , bleve he did that on purpose

Very happy with my 1998 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, still drives like a dream, good build quality and very little ever goes wrong.

Wish I still had my 1974 M reg LPS 1932, Big Cab, LHD, V10, 320bhp
That was a fine motor, I would say one of the best trucks Merc ever built.

whisperingsmith:
Very happy with my 1998 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, still drives like a dream, good build quality and very little ever goes wrong.

Wish I still had my 1974 M reg LPS 1932, Big Cab, LHD, V10, 320bhp
That was a fine motor, I would say one of the best trucks Merc ever built.

Did that have a switch under the accelerator pedal for the 2nd turbo? Burnt even more fuel than normal!

corij:
one of the richest men in Suffolk drives an old S1 landrover but it has new Ford Transit mechanicals under it. Hes scruffy ginger frizz and hangs around with doleys as mates, quite convincing . Nacton Nick is his moniker for a while he ran a greasy spoon at Darsham on the A12 ,all a cover as he is a multi millionaire in reality .Last time i saw him at a bikers meet on Felixstowe seafront he was on old moped it wouldnt start this drew attention to him poor bugger cant afford a classic scenario , bleve he did that on purpose

sheeran?

carryfast-yeti:

corij:

sheeran?

no not him,this is him
bence.jpg

Some ‘truckers’ are ‘into’ cars some ain’t.

My list started with a Triumph 2.5PI, BMW E3 3.0Si, a couple of manual Granada 2.8 i’s, and two Jaguar XJ12’s.The last of which fitted with a 6.0 TWR engine and 5 speed manual box which I’ve still got.All anything but crap and still wish I had them all because I’d be very rich if I did.
Even the 2015 Zafira petrol general runabout is ok for its job.