Cab happy pricks

i’ve read on a few threads about people being “cab happy”, they want a stylish truck with a light bar, nice paint job, polished alloy wheels, fridge, microwave, and various extra bits.
they have been slated for doing the job for less money, just to get the fancy looking truck.
is this true? i’ve heard about it. i’ve driven some very stylish trucks myself. but i’ve never worked for crap money just for the bling. and i’ve never come across anyone that does.
i think it’s just jealousy by those that think £350 per week is a wage.
these stylish trucks are run by companies that are in the business of making money. image means everything, a well turned out driver in a well turned out truck will get more work and make more profit. this will put more money in your pocket.

I’ve always earned good money when I’ve had a nice motor. They usually go cap in hand. Most bad paying jobs operate some nasty kit imho. Although you’ll always get some local firm that will try and pay crap but offer a v8 or something like that, only a div would drive a nice motor for crap money.

In my experience it’s always been the other way round, the best-paying companies I have worked for have had the best specced trucks and the lowest-paying companies have run old snotters.

Not forgetting those who buy stuff for the truck then cry about poor wages.
Anyone remember Maguires of Cheltenham?

i might have the oldest truck on the fleet, but i get a new one this year, the rest of the fleet is top of the range nothing under 500, and everyone is paid the same and its pretty good for our area so you can have the bling and the wages just got to go to the right place, but they are getting harder to find :wink: :wink: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

limeyphil:
…those that think £350 per week is a wage…

A typical class 2 agency driver would be very lucky to clear that in a week after tax :unamused:

Its always sort of gone hand in hand, companies that run nice motors tend to use drivers that will look after the kit and be paid that bit more for doing so, good companies don’t mind spending a few shilling on the extras because it keeps a driver happy, a happy driver is a productive driver, an unhappy one will treat the motor badly which only leads to problems, a happy driver will tell customers and others what a great company it is to work for whereas the unhappy one slags them off at every opportunity.
I always found that if you look after a driver he will look after your motor and your interests and giving them something nice to drive around in gives them that respect.

A few companies do exist, ‘all flash, no cash’!! E.T Rowlands, shrops. They run some nice motors, chrome trims nice paint job etc . . Trl’s ent the best but usually clean etc. . . BUT at £6.50ph flat rate including Sundays no thanks yet drivers stay there for years?!?

so it looks like it’s just jealousy from fools that know no better.

I have a tired motor not the best looking on the road but im paid quite well.

Tesco run some ■■■■ trucks & claim that they are in good money(I don’t believe that for a second), so I think the motors run say a lot about the company, not necessarily the wages…

Good kit will always attract drivers, both good and bad. Half the problem is that a certain type of driver will be drawn by the bling and then having found out that they are expected to keep the bling blinging get the hump and leave. Now rather than admit that the job wasn’t for them they spout on about crap wages.

Now it would be naive to believe that nobody has ever used this to attract drivers and pay a lesser wage but my experience in general seems to be backed by the other posters.

Having driven both blinged and tatty kit I’ve found that the pay rates are usually more to do with geographic location or type of work done.

I also think that there is a huge amount of jealousy involved. Just looking at posts on here, almost every time somebody posts a pic of a nice truck they are driving, some other ■■■■ will quote MMTM about poor money and mars bars.

Cheers
Neilf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No-one outside road haulage notices any difference between any wagon or trailer of any age.

All they care about is it done in a timely manner, goods undamaged and a helpful driver.

Edit, and price.

who cares.
as long as the money is right, and the truck is legal and right for the job, then i’m happy.
if people want to spend their own money making the truck look pretty, fair play to them. its not my back, as long as i have enough room for all my gear i’m happy. i’m ■■■■ about the cleanliness of the inside of my truck, but don’t do frilly curtains, dream catchers and the like.
its a bonus if i get a big newer cab on a job, but its all about the wage for me.
i’ve done a 3 month tour round europe in an old flat cabbed volvo, it was hard, but not when the money dropped in the bank.

why is someone who wants a nice cab a ‘prick’?

Does it really matter what someone earns, what they want to drive and if they want bling or not? One of the biggest things wrong with this country is people can’t just get on with their own life, worry about themselves being happy etc, and let others do as they want.If they are happy, who gives a …?

How long until the name Sandy Kidd comes up?

I drive £250k worth of kit yet I’m not expected to pimp it.
Money’s better than tipper driving too.

dominicpriestley:

Does it really matter what someone earns, what they want to drive and if they want bling or not? One of the biggest things wrong with this country is people can’t just get on with their own life, worry about themselves being happy etc, and let others do as they want.If they are happy, who gives a …?

Just another forum troll trying to get a rise out of people.
Shame we dont have a numpty filter. :sunglasses:

dominicpriestley:

don’t know, but we see comments by people on this site and others. you may hear people saying similar phrases to “cab happy prick”.
i can’t see a problem with a driver taking pride in his lorry.
it can only be jealousy. they never back it up with any reasoning for their comments.
they just assume it’s all bling, and no money.

In the 1980’s there was a regular saying " There’s many a driver will drive a brand new rig for a bowl of rice . We had old tackle but well maintained and we earned a fantastic wage for that time , but there were some companies running nice new fancy rigs off Boston Docks with their drivers earning peanuts for 15/18 hr days.