Cab happy pricks

Meathauler:
In the 1980’s there was a regular saying " There’s many a driver will drive a brand new rig for a bowl of rice . We had old tackle but well maintained and we earned a fantastic wage for that time , but there were some companies running nice new fancy rigs off Boston Docks with their drivers earning peanuts for 15/18 hr days.

not too bad then. i’m sure peanuts are worth more than rice. :laughing:

I have never had any bling on any of my trucks, well turned out but as it comes.Nice livery OK but in my opinion bling simply looks silly. If I were in the position of giving work to O/D’s or companies that spent large amounts of money on decoration I would come to the conclusion that I must be paying them too much !!
In the early 1980’s I worked with someone who spent £3000 of his own money on light bars, cowcatchers etc on a truck that he used on night trunk and was used by others on days, we were on good money then, not now. Perhaps employers came to the above conclusion.

Thorntons international?

Company I work for atm will not buy brand new everything is a couple of years old but then he spends out to tart them up. 2 light bars 10 spots in total mirror gaurds train horns rear lights etc, when its like that its not to bad but I wouldnt spend my own money on extra spots etc but yes I have my own frilly curtains seat covers etc and I dont see anything wrong with it. its my home for the week (used to be more) so make it as comfy and nice looking as poss

If i was a tramper, falling short of spending my own money on exterior stuff i would put effort into making the cab flash. I couldnt live in a bin and i like my home comforts.

As it is, im a day worker, so my main concern is getting the job done so i can go home… so if the cabs clean, litter free and the radio works im happy.

As for bosses spending money on bling… id rather it was in my pay packet tbh. Pretty sure most places arent that arsed about how many spotlights etc. their delivery trucks are sporting.

rob22888:
If i was a tramper, falling short of spending my own money on exterior stuff i would put effort into making the cab flash. I couldnt live in a bin and i like my home comforts.

As it is, im a day worker, so my main concern is getting the job done so i can go home… so if the cabs clean, litter free and the radio works im happy.

As for bosses spending money on bling… id rather it was in my pay packet tbh.

I totally agree with all this!! :grimacing:
Mo money mofo!!! :laughing:

Each to their own. If someone drives a blinged up motor for little cash
(all flash no cash). That’s their own choice. Who cares!

It is nothing new. I first heard the term in about 1970 when the blue eyed boys were being given F86 Volvos, the ones who stayed behind to wash them were cab happy, they didn’t get paid any more, but they did get the first of the F88 when they arrived and the grafters got the hand me downs.

At that time they weren’t pricks, just cab happy… :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a tool like a grinder/lathe/hammer/spanner look after it and it shouldn’t let you down (apart from breakdowns etc).
My views on bling are well known but if you want to spend your cash on someone else’s “tool” so be it.
I keep mine clean and ask other peeps to leave it clean if they use it, I check oil/water etc and run thru wash when i can.
it’s a daf 85 “super space” and works for me, what i don’t like is curtains covering 50% of side windows (seen one with drapes arrange same way on windscreen :open_mouth: :unamused: ).
What i REALLY don’t understand is guys/firms who have all the blingbling and the driver is still using a phone against his ear rather than handsfree,which costs abot a tenner,whats that all about (big fine if caught) :unamused:
Your licence/livelihood or a tenner…no contest :wink:

In my first stint as a shovel driver. I was “cab-happy” and would take my boots off when driving my machine; The pedals and floor were polished but I was sure that when I was off, at least one quarry worker would go out of his way to get my cab filthy. My current machine wasn’t that clean when I took it on so I just brush the floor and occasionally wipe the dust off the dash with a rag.
I don’t buy this “if it’s dirty, he doesn’t look after it” as I check my machine over every morning just as if I was checking over a lorry, and when i refuel, I go around the bucket pins with a grease gun and a quick walk around check. Other machine drivers take the pee but this is one way I take pride in the job.

limeyphil:
a light bar, nice paint job, polished alloy wheels, fridge, microwave,

Oh dear, I have all of that… except that I have two light bars, a Hella and a Kelsa.

I’m on the most appallingly low wages too, my employer only pays me £750 a month.

Still, if we are both happy! :wink:

most of our trucks are blingy ,mine was the first and theyve got nicer and nicer,some of the lads have spent some of their own money on curtains etc fair play to em if thats what they want to spend their money on.i dont spend all weekend cleaning it but its tidy(ish) inside and i dont live in it so it doesnt really matter too much,id rather have the 6 grand or whatever in my pay packet but that isnt going to happen as im well paid (ish) and the boss likes a good looking motor(cant explain the m a ns though) so if a drivers happy in his job why does that upset others,jealousy or somthing else ,if they can live on the money they earn and enjoy what they do ,carry on

Harry Monk:

limeyphil:

Oh dear, I have all of that… except that I have two light bars, a Hella and a Kelsa.

I’m on the most appallingly low wages too, my employer only pays me £750 a month.

Did you get the microwave already in (is it a Renault option?) or have you just bought one since?

Harry Monk:

limeyphil:

Wouldnt get out of bed for that Harry :wink: :wink: :wink: lmaooo

Own Account Driver:
Did you get the microwave already in (is it a Renault option?) or have you just bought one since?

Just a cheapie Asda microwave which runs off of the 240v mains supply. Same as the kettle and toaster. Can’t understand why a 240v supply is not standard fitment in trucks these days.

I wondered if you’d got a 24v one as have been considering one for a while but can’t really justify the extreme cost without being sure they’re worth it.

Will have to get myself a payrise harry i am on only £150 a week but bonus is greedy ex’s and the csa cant bend me over and i dont pay tax on it, and like you i have the bling two lightbars 8 spots full width aluminium checkerplate catwalk durabrites all round and fridge and microwave in the cab
simon

Own Account Driver:
I wondered if you’d got a 24v one as have been considering one for a while but can’t really justify the extreme cost without being sure they’re worth it.

It’s cheaper to buy a 2000w inverter for £150 and a £29 microwave than pay £450+ for a 24v microwave.

turnbull2012:
i am on only £150 a week but bonus is greedy ex’s and the csa cant bend me over and i dont pay tax on it

Exactly! :wink:

Harry Monk:

limeyphil:

But would you have paid to have the light bars and polished alloys fitted if they weren’t already on when you bought it? Or paid for a nice!! airbrushed arty paint job?
I would consider a fridge essential these days on distance work but always managed with a gas ring, if I was doing it now I think I would have a microwave as well.

Incidentally have you( or your company) started earning yet?