Why do 4x4 drivers

…think that they can STOP better than normal vehicles on slippery roads? Four-wheel drive is designed to make you GO when its icy but doesn’t give magical, phyisics-defying braking capabilities does it? We have had very little snow here compared with the rest of the UK but it did snow heavily Monday night. Took the dog out and saw one 4x4 arrive at a large roundabout way too fast, anchor on on end up on the grass backwards and another pillock in a ‘proper off road’ Landrover (with snorkel and everything :unamused: ) tailgating a van down a hill so close I thought he was on tow with a short rope! :smiley:

What other snow/ice driving habits annoy you?

A Merc sprinter has just come down my street and performed a dance routine.:imp:

( language edit ) jd

in my experience 4x4s are worse at stopping as the tyres are a much harder compound with a big surface area. Most are also fitted with road tyres not offroad tyres. I like to call them ST’s, like AT’s are all terrain, ST’s are school terrain :laughing:

My pickup has ST’s on and they are awful, they make the 4x4 feature a complete waste of time, i struggled to pull the trailer out of a grassy field the other day :laughing:

The snow was falling pretty fast this morning in nottingham and as I approach a hill/bridge on a tight left turn I saw a car stuck and sliding all over the shop :smiley: I had to go up as I was committed and as such had to stop to to let him go up. Up comes a car and stops about 3 feet from my trailer, then I am stuck due to the amount of snow on the hill and as im inching up he just carries on sitting on my arse all the way up even though its possible at any moment I might start to slip back! I was giving a mate a lift to the train station and he couldnt believe what he was seeing and he doesnt even drive LoL. I had to go up another 3 hills on route and got stuck on em all and everytime I had a car near enough touching my trailer whats wrong with these idiots? I do despair sometimes but rather then get mad I just laugh it off, if it were my car I wouldnt want to risk 50 foot of lorry slipping down into the bonnet :laughing:

hammer:
…think that they can STOP better than normal vehicles on slippery roads? Four-wheel drive is designed to make you GO when its icy but doesn’t give magical, phyisics-defying braking capabilities does it? We have had very little snow here compared with the rest of the UK but it did snow heavily Monday night. Took the dog out and saw one 4x4 arrive at a large roundabout way too fast, anchor on on end up on the grass backwards and another pillock in a ‘proper off road’ Landrover (with snorkel and everything :unamused: ) tailgating a van down a hill so close I thought he was on tow with a short rope! :smiley:

What other snow/ice driving habits annoy you?

Glad I’m not the only one that has noticed this. It because they are thick ■■■■■■

You just gotta give them room and patience and treat them as if they’re all new drivers. I’ve been sliding around in a 12t bus today that was interesting enough. As long as I took it slowly and carefully I was ok. It’s easy to see where the road was good for grip and wasn’t.

Luckily the major slippy parts of the route were taken out of the run…

But I’m glad I walked to work and not taken the car!

Prob is people will drive in one lane… Yes one lane sheep for the slaughter.
I came home this morning and I’m sorry to say I used the untreated lane on the D/C there was no reason driving at 20 mph it dont cut up the snow the virgin snow was better.
Keeping in a lower gear not using the breaks aproaching roundabouts at a slower speed it took me 10mins longer to get home.
If people would just edge on to the snow just a touch it would help break it up thus help keeping all lanes open.
What it all comes downto is Lack of experiance and knowledge of diff driving in diff weathers :unamused:

nick2008:
Prob is people will drive in one lane… Yes one lane sheep for the slaughter.
I came home this morning and I’m sorry to say I used the untreated lane on the D/C there was no reason driving at 20 mph it dont cut up the snow the virgin snow was better.
Keeping in a lower gear not using the breaks aproaching roundabouts at a slower speed it took me 10mins longer to get home.
If people would just edge on to the snow just a touch it would help break it up thus help keeping all lanes open.
What it all comes downto is Lack of experiance and knowledge of diff driving in diff weathers :unamused:

Reminds me of a time in the 90s when the cops on the M1 directed all the LGV rigids onto the snowed up lane to help clear it - only ever seen that happen once.

Car drivers find out early if the accelerater does not work that well in these conditions as the wheels spin due to lack of grip but they do not convert that into that same lack of grip performance that the brake pedal will have - they just don’t think.

Cynic-al:
in my experience 4x4s are worse at stopping as the tyres are a much harder compound with a big surface area. Most are also fitted with road tyres not offroad tyres. I like to call them ST’s, like AT’s are all terrain, ST’s are school terrain :laughing:

My pickup has ST’s on and they are awful, they make the 4x4 feature a complete waste of time, i struggled to pull the trailer out of a grassy field the other day :laughing:

When I lived in Iceland I had mud tyres on my 4x4, 38" Radial Mudders which are equally good on snow, and mine could if necessary be deflated off-road to about 4psi for added grip, especially up on the glaciers.

The kind of 4x4’s people have here are called ‘slitta jeppa’ in Iceland, which basically means they are no good for anything more than a bit of sleet. At least there though people fitted them with winter tyres, whereas here they run on summer tyres. Most idiotic of all, the poseurs here in the UK run them on big alloy wheels with low profiles, about as much use as a chocolate teapot on snow.

If any of you guys want to check out real 4X4’s from Iceland, you can find them here: f4x4.is/new/

Or not as an Icelandic 4x4 is of no use in this country at all and would be just an ego wagon…

Some 4x4 owners know how to drive in all conditions.Only some mind , not all :laughing:

Thats 5 inches of snow hard packed into ice and my 90 on mud terrains.
I also managed to get about without banging into anyone and not hanging on the brakes.Low high range differential is your friend …

Thats just a river :laughing:

nick2008:

Yes. Earlier on the routes I tried to keep the wheels of the bus when on the straight off the black tracks. I wasn’t going fast anyway but safely did my bit to make the tracks wider.

Moot point this evening as most snow on the roads have gone. Might go out later for a drive around Warwickshire though :wink:

Paul :slight_smile: I recognise your river crossing. Did that in my Ltwt in about 2001 ish and, er, had to be towed out backwards as I stalled it in water :astonished:

Bakewell ford mate.Closed now though.

Tempted to say why do some artic drivers think they immune from the snow and ice!
M4 today heavy snow falling two out of three lanes covered and most of us quite happy cars and all sitting at 45 or so— then they came flat three artics in a row, then two fridge units again flat out, not a hope in hell of stopping if they had too.
Worst of all was the fridge sitting inches from the back of a car.
So no its not Just 4x4 drivers but Class one drivers who SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!
Funny though all the drivers from across the water were taking it easy.

Paul@midway the river crossing looks familiar to me■■?

Is it the ford at Geddington, Northants■■?

Came across 2 trucks this morning on A6 that were stuck…then saw one coming opposite way doing at least 30 on single carraigeway compacted snow…the guy was holding onto the wheel soooooooooo tightly LMAO…

Most 4X4 drivers are really stupid…Couple that with adverse weather conditions and the result is entertaining at best, lethal at worst.
Many drivers seem to have no idea of what their vehicle is capable of in the current wintry conditions, both positively and negatively, the only thing that can change this is education and experience, unfortunately the education aspect is dire in the UK and the experience is therefore unexpected and not of any great value. :frowning:

f4x4.is/new/

so whats the iclandic for gallary?! :laughing:

This is my little 4x4 :slight_smile: youtube.com/watch?v=nv9qcizngHE

Had to wait for it to sink before it’d get grip and carry on, also lost a coil spring in the middle of the water and had to borrow some waders to find it :unamused:

Can’t really go any deeper with her though, she tends to die if the coil gets wet, as i’ve found out :laughing:

Off roading, now this is real off roading… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

My 4X4 will go anywhere… Do not tar us all with the same brush.
I never reaslised until I had proper training just exactly how versatile
mine was… Motorway cruiser… Tow barge… load lugger… off roader
Family lugger…Etc…

Deepinvet:
Off roading, now this is real off roading… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

That looks a bit stuck mate :laughing: :laughing:
Rather you than me cleaning that chassis down :laughing:

Back on topic.
The 90 I have been running about in doesn’t even have ABS so if I have had to brake I have had to cadence brake otherwise it will just slide.

But I do agree some people get in them and have no clue.Woman where my missus keeps her horses gets stuck regular as she insists on driving down to the fields.The tyres are road bias for a start and the track to the field is really muddy so she doesn’t stand a chance …