WHY ??

why did i see at least half a dozen artics involved in accidents in the snow and ice on the 74 last night ■■?
because the stupid idiots won’t slow down
thats why…

cos they’re REAL drivers 10-4 :unamused:

To be fair if the M74 was anything like round here, a lot of the drivers would just have been passengers with absolutely no control once the vehicle lost traction. Mrs parked the car halfway up the steps to our house when she came home from work last night, not a thing she could do about it. Son was waiting on a call to help plough A76 (ex council plough adapted for the front tractor linkage), no idea if they were called out or not. Reckon I chose the right week to take off :laughing:

Trukkertone:
why did i see at least half a dozen artics involved in accidents in the snow and ice on the 74 last night ■■?
because the stupid idiots won’t slow down
thats why…

dude, you’re wasted steering a truck, you wanna set up tone’s no nonsense accident investigation company, you can have the name, i’ll let ya :smiley:

Or perhaps they like the muppets I keep seeing that tap the brakes constantly?

happysack:
Or perhaps they like the muppets I keep seeing that tap the brakes constantly?

Going on the new DAFs we have, that’ll be the engine management doing it as it uses the exhaust braking to slow especially if its got automatic EBS radar distance control rubbish on. Used to wonder myself why drivers did this until we got 64 plate motors.

I think every driver needs at least one bum clenching moment to realise their limitations. Also grasping the fact that brakes only reduce the speed off the wheels, slowing the vehicle is a secondary effect.

Prolly all agency though… :wink:

think you meant ajenski :laughing:

Should have used cadence breaking, oh sorry that’s what abs does for “not real” drivers

I went up there at about 7ish last night and quite happily sat in the middle lane on my own for over 10 miles whilst everyone else was virtually crawling along in the inside lane, there wasnt a great depth of snow but when people cant see black tarmac they go into panic mode

Was just starting here around 7, local roads haven’t been ploughed or gritted at all this winter.

ABS would have been worse than useless and pretty much takes cadence braking out of the tool box, planned braking relies on there being at least some grip somewhere, round here there simply wasn’t any. Only options are to cut speed, engine braking and look for a ‘soft landing’ :open_mouth:

drive to fast in ace weather sometime to danger.but drive very slow as well to danger.some people drive 20 m/h by car and think who he drive safely.but it is not all the time safely.all depend.some people if skid car press to break and make final flying.but if we drive car with front drive wheels ,after skid must turn wheels in right direction and little bit press to accelerator.but of cource all depend from situation .lorry problem???because to many lorry go empty or with light load,so for truck rear axle pay load just couple tonne .in this situation no good connection with asfalt.

This one out here don’t have to worry about ABS or cadence braking for a minute or two.

1am on the m82/73/74 was great, outside lane overtaking everyone and got to glasgow without incident.

Just need to make sure and leave yourself enough time/distance to slow if needed.

098Joe:
Should have used cadence breaking, oh sorry that’s what abs does for “not real” drivers

I’m assuming you past your class 1 test before ABS was fitted to trucks as standard.

Yeah 1979 for class 3. But I can’t understand how guys on here can insist that aids such as ABS etc are not a good thing. The problem is drivers who don’t understand the limitations of these systems in certain road conditions and expect to be able to drive at the same speed regardless of conditions. ABS is great but it can only utilise what grip is available, same as any other means of retardation.

I think there seems to be a lot of drivers out there who don’t realise how abs will save your skin, perhaps you should watch this educational film and thank your lucky stars trucks especially artics now have it fitted.
I think it’s more down to blind panic that cause many of the truck incidents we see on the roads now!!

How do you know they were all idiots who didnt slow down? There could be mny reasons they skidded or spun out. Maybe get all the facts before name calling and throwing blame around

I’ve driven bikes, cars, tractors and trucks both with and without ABS.

ABS is very effective in most normal conditions, where a good, safe driver should never need it. On wall to wall snow/ice it is a liability. I still believe it is a crutch for bad drivers, the video didn’t demo it on gravel, snow or ice

BMW tried to demo a bike with and without ABS on gravel and it was way less than convincing.

The-Snowman:
How do you know they were all idiots who didnt slow down? There could be mny reasons they skidded or spun out. Maybe get all the facts before name calling and throwing blame around

They are doing it in the middle of the summer on dry roads, so they must be idiots!!

chicane:
I’ve driven bikes, cars, tractors and trucks both with and without ABS.

ABS is very effective in most normal conditions, where a good, safe driver should never need it. On wall to wall snow/ice it is a liability. I still believe it is a crutch for bad drivers, the video didn’t demo it on gravel, snow or ice

BMW tried to demo a bike with and without ABS on gravel and it was way less than convincing.

At one time ABS was switchable on certain cars (Audi etc) to allow better control on ice and snow with it turned off, I understand that bikes still have it switchable for that reason?

Pete.