Chelsea tractors

When will 4x4 drivers learn that they are not immune to skidding on icy roads.I saw two accidents yesterday in Shropshire both involving 4x4’s :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I used to scrawl this on the back of the trailer:

R U A 4X4 X PRAT?

Few years back a range rover sport overtook me near Alderley Edge, roads were terrible with black ice, snow, got to the roundabout with the shell garage on and he’d gone straight over the top of it and parked his fancy motor on its side in the hedge, he was ok but looked a bit ■■■■■■ off stood looking at it, laughed so much I spilt my tea

4x4 are like every vehicle you just have to know how to drive them proably some of us ex forces did Skid pan training in land rovers and trucks this is what people should all get

Range Rover drivers are the worse ones; every time, if I’m positioning my truck for a wide turn, they always try to get through between me and the kerb, although they can see my indicators are on… :unamused:

Angus25:
4x4 are like every vehicle you just have to know how to drive them proably some of us ex forces did Skid pan training in land rovers and trucks this is what people should all get

Good idea… :wink:

Got to say in these conditions I’ve seen more 4x4 in hedges than any other type of vehicle. The drivers don’t understand the difference between grip and traction. And of course a lot of the Chelsea Tractor 4x4 are completely useless in these condition as the have wide summer road tyres on not thinnish off road tyres.

But most of the the problem is the mentality of the drivers who believe the 4x4 hype and that they can go everywhere because it says 4x4. :unamused:

There only good for slow traction that’s the whole point of them , these dicks realise this until there planted into something . Saw a shogun take a bend to fast yesterday ( only about 15mph) he hit the brakes and slid across the other side head on into a 7.5 merc …

Also seen lots of them overtaking at speed in lane two of a duel carriage way , nothing wrong with that , but when it’s covered in snow and all the other sensible drivers are avoiding it there asking for trouble …

SYE-1:
There only good for slow traction that’s the whole point of them , these dicks realise this until there planted into something . Saw a shogun take a bend to fast yesterday ( only about 15mph) he hit the brakes and slid across the other side head on into a 7.5 merc …

Also seen lots of them overtaking at speed in lane two of a duel carriage way , nothing wrong with that , but when it’s covered in snow and all the other sensible drivers are avoiding it there asking for trouble …

That lanes only snow covered because people won’t go on it, you’ll be surprised how much grip is there especially as there is salt under it that needs working in. and when the sensible drivers are doing 20mph on what is basically a wet road I’m going to be be going down the second lane.

anybody that drives slower than you is a useless doddering ■■■■■■■■ anybody that drives faster than you is a accident waiting to happen :unamused:

muckles:
Got to say in these conditions I’ve seen more 4x4 in hedges than any other type of vehicle. The drivers don’t understand the difference between grip and traction. And of course a lot of the Chelsea Tractor 4x4 are completely useless in these condition as the have wide summer road tyres on not thinnish off road tyres.

But most of the the problem is the mentality of the drivers who believe the 4x4 hype and that they can go everywhere because it says 4x4. :unamused:

had mine 6 years and not once has the traction control light been on :sunglasses: .it wont go anywhere,but itll certainly go places your car won`t…oh and when i fold the seats down,it transforms into a van…which is useful :sunglasses:

commonrail:
anybody that drives slower than you is a useless doddering [zb]…and anybody that drives faster than you is a accident waiting to happen :unamused:

Yea basically :laughing:

But I still don’t understand why people have this fear of going onto a snow covered lane, I not saying drive down it at 70mph+ but you can get on it feel the grip, if it’s ice which it rarely is, then the speed you’d go on it is probably slower than the other lane, but mostly if lane 1 is a clear wet road lane 2 would be a clear wet road once people use it, because it’s snow on a layer of salt.

commonrail:

muckles:

had mine 6 years and not once has the traction control light been on :sunglasses: .it wont go anywhere,but itll certainly go places your car won`t…oh and when i fold the seats down,it transforms into a van…which is useful :sunglasses:

I’m not knocking the capabilities of 4x4’s, I’m knocking the mind set of certain owners who buy what is basically an overgrown estate car with 4x4 and road tyres, then think that 4x4 mean they can go where a landrover will go or they can drive on snow and ice like a rally car.

rocky 7:
‘…chelsea tractors…’

I’m off to SW3 this evening ever mindful of once meeting a stuck-up, old rinse taking up the entire Borough in a pristine, black Merc ‘four-kiss-four Spaceship’ & one bag of shopping (round the backside of Chelsea Manor Street) with me coaxing a 12 m trailer and her bawling at me to ‘…get a proper job, you arrogant man…’ once she fathomed her leccy windows :smiley:

Chelsea tractors? Tolerable, possibly amusing…

Chelsea tractor drivers?

Priceless :smiley: :smiley:

muckles:

commonrail:
anybody that drives slower than you is a useless doddering [zb]…and anybody that drives faster than you is a accident waiting to happen :unamused:

Yea basically :laughing:

But I still don’t understand why people have this fear of going onto a snow covered lane, I not saying drive down it at 70mph+ but you can get on it feel the grip, if it’s ice which it rarely is, then the speed you’d go on it is probably slower than the other lane, but mostly if lane 1 is a clear wet road lane 2 would be a clear wet road once people use it, because it’s snow on a layer of salt.

The problem is in the area where I live, the hills are too steep for anything except a tracked vehicle…All that happens in a 4x4 is all four wheels spin instead of just two… :laughing:

muckles:

SYE-1:

That lanes only snow covered because people won’t go on it, you’ll be surprised how much grip is there especially as there is salt under it that needs working in. and when the sensible drivers are doing 20mph on what is basically a wet road I’m going to be be going down the second lane.

You’re spot on there Muckles. I left Catterick at 15:30 heading home to Bedford, expecting a long boring crawl all the way. You can imagine my surprise at having the third lane as my own personal space, getting me indoors with my feet up at 19:30. Great result, thanks to the lane 1&2 sheep.

commonrail:

Lol so true.

Most people who own a 4x4 think that means they are invincible even with the cheapest nastiest road tyres they can lay there hands on, then drive like a prat because they have 4 wheel drive. Ive spent the thick end of £500 on decent a/t tyres for mine,dont intend getting stuck between Ashbourne and Buxton and I don`t think I drive like a prat, but I do drive to the conditions.

I’ve got a 528i automatic and a 320d manual. The 3 series is on good winter tyres, the 5 series is on rubbish summer tyres. So far last week, neither has had any issues. Both are on standard 16" wheels. Coldest we’ve seen is -10 degrees. My previous 535i had 255 wide 17" wheels and those were useless in the cold and snow. Put smaller wheels on with winter tyres and it was a different car. Who needs four wheel drive?

I don’t know which camp to put myself in here, as I’m a retired TM, ex lorry driver who owns a Range Rover and a CARAVAN!!!

Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with 4x4s, except the big nut behind the steering wheel.

Ref the empty snow - covered lane on D/Cs,(which I use whenever possible), what do I do about the prat who pulls out to stop me using it, please?