Why do 4x4 drivers

john-sussex:
Funny though all the drivers from across the water were taking it easy.

That’s because it snows more over there and they have more experience of driving on it. My mantra is take it easy, keep your feet off and try to use as high a gear as possible and slow down with the gearbox, and leave plenty of time to stop.

Deepinvet:
Off roading, now this is real off roading… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

What we can’t see is the pajero thats pulling it out :wink: :wink: :laughing:

map-man:

■■■■■!!!

… anyway, it’s bound to have been a suzuki! last landy i recovered was a disco that’d lost drive, a paj had about a dozen attempts to get it up the hill, hooked it on the SJ and it was straight up :laughing: :unamused:

The average 4x4 weighs in at a good 500Kg + than a large luxury saloon & along with it’s high centre of gravity & wide tyres make them v poor for emergency stops. Of course it doesnt help that the drivers think they are in some sort of indestructible tank.

As said however some truck drivers are just as dumb as the a lot of the 4x4 half wits. The snow was hooning down 5am Wednesday morning on the M6 in the West Mids make for poor viability, with the outside lane was covered over in snow all together. Most of us were gingerly doing 40 mph in the nearside lane, but the odd artic came blasting past 55+, using the force to guide them. Unless they had some kind of forward looking radar fitted.

Must have had the radar dish stashed under the air kit.

tofer:

john-sussex:
Funny though all the drivers from across the water were taking it easy.

That’s because it snows more over there and they have more experience of driving on it. My mantra is take it easy, keep your feet off and try to use as high a gear as possible and slow down with the gearbox, and leave plenty of time to stop.

This is what i meant. they know whats its all about.

Cynic-al:
http://www.f4x4.is/new/

so whats the iclandic for gallary?! :laughing:

This is my little 4x4 :slight_smile: youtube.com/watch?v=nv9qcizngHE

Had to wait for it to sink before it’d get grip and carry on, also lost a coil spring in the middle of the water and had to borrow some waders to find it :unamused:

Can’t really go any deeper with her though, she tends to die if the coil gets wet, as i’ve found out :laughing:

Go to the bottom of the page where it says ‘Adrar Frettir’ and click on those blue links, each one is a different 4x4 event. Then when that page opens, on the left under the calander you will see a small photo above which it says ‘mynd ur myndasafni’. Click on the small image and it will load all the thumbnail images for that day into the central section of the page, then just click on the thumbnails. Happy surfing :slight_smile:

I like the SJ - I saw one in Iceland raised up on 33" tyres, it looked really nice.

Neville:
My 4X4 will go anywhere… Do not tar us all with the same brush.
I never reaslised until I had proper training just exactly how versatile
mine was… Motorway cruiser… Tow barge… load lugger… off roader
Family lugger…Etc…

Apologies for any offence Neville, you are clearly someone who has an idea of the capabilites of their vehicle and actually use it as it was intended. Unfortunately, many have no clue about their vehicles and their capabilites (or lack of). I’m sure you’re 4x4 is a good tool but doesn’t stop any better than a standard family saloon (probably worse in fact).

33" on an SJ, thats nothing, what about this one uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a3W70lM9U5c

Owned by a guy from hull :slight_smile:

Cynic-al:

map-man:

■■■■■!!!

… anyway, it’s bound to have been a suzuki! last landy i recovered was a disco that’d lost drive, a paj had about a dozen attempts to get it up the hill, hooked it on the SJ and it was straight up :laughing: :unamused:

Was that just before it fell over?

Cynic-al:
33" on an SJ, thats nothing, what about this one uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a3W70lM9U5c

Owned by a guy from hull :slight_smile:

They look like 38" tyres, I wonder how it performs on the road? :laughing:

Hammer… No offence taken mate I assure you…
Mine has Brembo disc brakes so she does pull up pretty sharp…
but… under ice and snow well… commom sense is the order
of the day whatever your drive methinks.
Regards, Neville.

Mr.Shep:
Was that just before it fell over?

No, after it fell over, and drowned, and the wheels fell off, just get some blutack and string and off it goes again :laughing: