Whoops! Can opener

Whilst driving today I saw a artic double decker stuck under a railway bridge. It was a mail company, who shall remain nameless as I have/hope to work for them. He only took a few inches off the top or the trailer so must have only just been too tall.

Not sure if i heard it right but its somewhere in the region of £1million a minute disruption to the trainline. Ykes.

:laughing: You’ve got it wrong it was a new bridge being delivered :laughing:

Guildford area perhaps ?Saw a picture of that earlier . Scania unit and a doubledeck trailer

Ha ha bridge delivery :slight_smile:

Yep thats the one. The police all looked nervous when I drove up to it but I was only 13’6".

getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/21051 … _guildford

I know this bridge well! There has been some debate locally about the height markers being incorrect. The drains in this area are notorious for flooding and about a year ago, the road was ripped up, drains done and re-laid. The argument is that the new road surface is an inch or two higher than the old one and no-one has bothered to change the height markers on the bridge! The bridge itself is also higher on one carriageway than the other, with height markers being the same for both! :unamused:

jamesfwpurdy:
Whilst driving today I saw a artic double decker stuck under a railway bridge. It was a mail company, who shall remain nameless as I have/hope to work for them. He only took a few inches off the top or the trailer so must have only just been too tall.

Not sure if i heard it right but its somewhere in the region of £1million a minute disruption to the trainline. Ykes.

I just happen to work for the “owner” of said bridge. :laughing: Depends on what line it is but close to london it would be about a grand a minute, per train delayed, so yeah, its a few quid but not quite that much. NR will then go after that money from the drivers company insurance as NR get the bill from the TOC’s (train op comapanys) for the delays incurred. Its a harsh world we live in!

There was another bridge strike on the A638 Doncaster road between Upton and Ackworth yesterday (Thursday)

I cannot find it on the net, But I think it was a TXT or TTX (Sorry Blonde moment) (Green livery)

Basically it looked like a tin of sardines, the truck was on the opposite side of the bridge when we went past

I have noticed the 13’ 9" signs for the Bridge, from both directions and also a Electronic Bridge warning sign telling the driver to turn around, I know they also are working
But looking for this incident, it seems that this maybe another bridge which could be wrongly signed, To me the bridge could of been put into place instead of a level crossing, Could be wrong thou :unamused:

However much the relevant authorities say that they take bridge strikes seriously…I have my doubts.

There is a railway bridge near me, signed at 12’ 6" and on a good short cut from a few trading estates etc.

The warning sign on the bridge itself from the direction of the main destinations has been missing for months. Network rail weren’t interested when it was reported to them…“not our responsibility, goodbye” was their response.
First Great Western expressed their concern but “well it’s down to the council really”

The local council, North Somerset Council, eventually got in touch and said “we will have to organise a road closure and diversions”.

It’s been months now and still not replaced. I wonder what all their responses would have been had a driver actually hit the unsigned bridge ?
It does get occaisonally hit, double deck buses, standard artic trailers and lorry mounted cranes have all been seen in the last year or so.

The bridge at Guildford is signed as 15’ 0" if you look at Google earth, so what height was the UK Mail trailer out of interest?

RobRob:
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2105150_lorry_driver_hurt_in_bridge_strike_crash_in_guildford

I know this bridge well! There has been some debate locally about the height markers being incorrect. The drains in this area are notorious for flooding and about a year ago, the road was ripped up, drains done and re-laid. The argument is that the new road surface is an inch or two higher than the old one and no-one has bothered to change the height markers on the bridge! The bridge itself is also higher on one carriageway than the other, with height markers being the same for both! :unamused:

Trust the driver is OK but why was he standing in the trailer? The rport says he was taken to hospital with head injuries! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

somerset bus driver:
However much the relevant authorities say that they take bridge strikes seriously…I have my doubts.

There is a railway bridge near me, signed at 12’ 6" and on a good short cut from a few trading estates etc.

The warning sign on the bridge itself from the direction of the main destinations has been missing for months. Network rail weren’t interested when it was reported to them…“not our responsibility, goodbye” was their response.
First Great Western expressed their concern but “well it’s down to the council really”

The local council, North Somerset Council, eventually got in touch and said “we will have to organise a road closure and diversions”.

It’s been months now and still not replaced. I wonder what all their responses would have been had a driver actually hit the unsigned bridge ?
It does get occaisonally hit, double deck buses, standard artic trailers and lorry mounted cranes have all been seen in the last year or so.

The bridge at Guildford is signed as 15’ 0" if you look at Google earth, so what height was the UK Mail trailer out of interest?

Be interesting to know if the ‘not my problem’ responses were in writing, if so somewhat risky in these litigious days for corporate responsibility.

Be interesting to know if the ‘not my problem’ responses were in writing, if so somewhat risky in these litigious days for corporate responsibility.

Just telephone conversations on all three responses.

PinkLadyTrucker:
There was another bridge strike on the A638 Doncaster road between Upton and Ackworth yesterday (Thursday)

I cannot find it on the net, But I think it was a TXT or TTX (Sorry Blonde moment) (Green livery)

Basically it looked like a tin of sardines, the truck was on the opposite side of the bridge when we went past

I have noticed the 13’ 9" signs for the Bridge, from both directions and also a Electronic Bridge warning sign telling the driver to turn around, I know they also are working
But looking for this incident, it seems that this maybe another bridge which could be wrongly signed, To me the bridge could of been put into place instead of a level crossing, Could be wrong thou :unamused:

Yup - I’ve seen the trailer in TTX’s yard - its a write off allright. No roof left at all. he made it right under and out the other side :exclamation: 4.4m trailer - 4.2m bridge :blush:

Trailer clearly marked at 4.4m (but only marked in metres no imperial as well). In cab indicator was set at 14" 8’ :unamused: . Mate of mine reckons the driver said the warning lights didn’t come on as he approached so he thought he was ok :wink:

Don’t know if the bridge is wrongly signed or not but a 4.4m trailer wouldn’t go under a 4.2 bridge either way.

D’ya reckon there may be a vacancy at TTX soon?

ex_reme_mech:
Trailer clearly marked at 4.4m (but only marked in metres no imperial as well). In cab indicator was set at 14" 8’ :unamused: . Mate of mine reckons the driver said the warning lights didn’t come on as he approached so he thought he was ok :wink:

Don’t know if the bridge is wrongly signed or not but a 4.4m trailer wouldn’t go under a 4.2 bridge either way.

D’ya reckon there may be a vacancy at TTX soon?

I cannot say if they came on as he passed the sensors, But I can say they certainly was working as I went past, Must of been no more than 30 mins after, as police was there already, and loads of debris on the road (both Sides)
also the Bridge height marker on the actual bridge is also messed up

Re bridge heights in Metric or Imperial, I have a chart ready to use in my driving folder, Its no excuse to hit a bridge unless it is incorrectly marked, and it seems the driver of this one, did not check his height at all.

Hey where is TTX yard, maybe I should put in my CV soon :bulb:

TTX are in Oldham, Greater Manchester

somerset bus driver:

I’m guessing more than 15’ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: