Whoops

metro.co.uk/2016/11/07/brand-new … e-6239593/

I’ll get in quick.
Another half-■■■■ giving the rest of us , the sensible ones, a bad name.
I’ve never done transporters, but have been beside them when they go under m/way bridges and have always thought, f**k me that’s close What height do they go at normally ?

Looks like he didn’t lower the top deck after delivering a few by the look of that, easily done.

Juddian:
Looks like he didn’t lower the top deck after delivering a few by the look of that, easily done.

easily done.

You are having a laugh aren’t you ■■?

Shouldn’t bridges have height signs displayed though? Oops,just read that it was a new bridge and not open yet. :blush:

Pete.

If that bridge is less than 16’ 6", it will be an expensive lesson for the council.

pierrot 14:

Juddian:

easily done.

You know nothing about the transporter game and as such will have no idea just how much you have to think about, nor the million and one things that can go wrong.

No it didn’t happen to me, thankfully, and thats not cos i’m some bloody expert i was lucky, but i know people it has happened to, people who had exemplary records of many years of delivering thousands of cars without a moments problem, then one day they get distracted or say et pressured to move along by some zealous parking ■■■■ from a roadside delivery to main dealer, and before you know it they’ve buggered off before lowering the decks fully.

You should try the job sometime, its an eye opener, you’ll soon realise i’m not having a larf.

If a bridge isn’t signed new or not its not the drivers fault,surely it’s the councils ■■■■ up they know the height of said bridge and letting traffic thro without signing it ain’t on.

But that said not done transporters but they do look bloody close to motorway bridges or how far you can raise the deck on them.

tango boy:
Brand new Seat car ripped in half after transporter hit low bridge in Crawley | Metro News

The report says the Seat was brand new, yet had a 2015 plate. Those things can’t both be true.

IndigoJo:

tango boy:
Brand new Seat car ripped in half after transporter hit low bridge in Crawley | Metro News

The report says the Seat was brand new, yet had a 2015 plate. Those things can’t both be true.

They also said it was sliced in half.

Just a misjudgement, accidents happen. To be fair to the driver though there was no height sign on that bridge meaning it could have been 18ft plus. No need to berate the guy too much, he could have been just as experienced as any other car trans driver…

Juddian:

pierrot 14:

Juddian:

easily done.

You know nothing about the transporter game and as such will have no idea just how much you have to think about, nor the million and one things that can go wrong.

No it didn’t happen to me, thankfully, and thats not cos i’m some bloody expert i was lucky, but i know people it has happened to, people who had exemplary records of many years of delivering thousands of cars without a moments problem, then one day they get distracted or say et pressured to move along by some zealous parking ■■■■ from a roadside delivery to main dealer, and before you know it they’ve buggered off before lowering the decks fully.

You should try the job sometime, its an eye opener, you’ll soon realise i’m not having a larf.

Read my first post Juddian and you’ll see that I did say that I have never done transporters. But as a professional in whatever trade, you have to ensure that you are aware of what you are doing. Tipper driver, bulk tanker driver and before anyone posts links,yes yes I know that it happens, they have to make sure that the body is lowered before moving off. Tanker drivers have to make sure that the valves are shut, all the equipment is stored away. My point is that lorry drivers will be distracted, I have been while uncoupling and have pulled away forgetting to take off the lines :blush: , minor mishap, (at least the legs were down :slight_smile: But surely on that sort of job, where there is so much to do that is important, raising/lowering the decks, loading/unloading the vehicles, storing away the straps/chocks, surely before moving off you will make sure that you are at a safe driving height, bearing in mind at the extreme height that these vehicles travels at.

I reckon a bit of plastic filler would sort the car out,don’t look that bad[lol]

AndrewG:
Just a misjudgement, accidents happen. To be fair to the driver though there was no height sign on that bridge meaning it could have been 18ft plus. No need to berate the guy too much, he could have been just as experienced as any other car trans driver…

They don’t build low bridges these days. If it was under 5 metres then the builders got it wrong - I would be pretty amazed if that happened.

Either the bridge had less than 5 metres clearance and was lacking a warning sign, or the car transporter and its load were exceeding 5m in height. Bearing in mind that new bridges are designed and built with well over 5m clearance and that no other vehicles had hit it, I know which option I think is most likely.