Which truck sat nav is best on the market?

I am a new to Lgv driving and trying to make things a little easier for myself,I’m thinking of buying a UK truck sat nav.
I will however look out for all sign posts eg: Weight limits and Hight restrictions as I know sat navs are not 100% accurate,(I’m no plonker)!
There are so many different sat navs now I get confused just reading all the specs.
If anyone uses a truck sat nav and can give me any idea which brand to choose I would be very greatful!
Thanks,Kind regards,
Graham.

i use a standard tomtom 720 but with a truck upgrade which you can find on tinternet.
Works perfectly and if you go for 520 will cost around £200

May I suggest using the search feature as this question crops up time and time again.

Searching is no good when what you need is specific advice and feedback , conversation is the best way of gaining knowledge.

I hate sniffy replys like use the search button , why not ask a question ? its a forum.

I use a tom tom 920 , oldie but its got a remote thats invaluable to me with some of the screens in the trucks I drive so far away from my sitting position.
I also use HGV solutions low bridges but they seem to have joined up with tom tom now and offer preloaded units at high street prices ,that sounds just like an advert , . any tom tom will do so long as the map is up to date but be prepared to use your eys as well and get one of those map thingys , they really are rather good for planning routes.

I have
a Navman F20 ,I am happy with it .Why do we so often get given ambgious addresses to try to deliver to .No map or sat nav will help in that scenario.

I dunno if a truck specific satnav is what your looking for … however for a cheap garmin i3 unit (with 2009 UK, ireland, and europe maps) try cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … K:MEWAX:IT
theyre getting rave reviews on biker forums, theyre recon units, but for a bargain price with updated maps I can`t fault em

any sat nav will do and a road atlas with bridge heights. when you set your rout if you go into details of rout on your sat nav then view the rout follow the rout in your map to see if theres any low bridges on route

john

I have a snooper Truckmate, and i must say, it’s the dogs danglers!, all you do is punch in your weight & dimensions, and if your ADR or not, then it works out the best route, avoiding weight limits, low bridges, steep hills, all the usual HGV hazards, and if you miss a turn, instead of screaming “perform a u turn when possible!!!” it works out another route within 3 seconds :grimacing:

Best xmas present i’ve had so far :smiley:

Lincs Lorryist:
I have a snooper Truckmate, and i must say, it’s the dogs danglers!, all you do is punch in your weight & dimensions, and if your ADR or not, then it works out the best route, avoiding weight limits, low bridges, steep hills, all the usual HGV hazards, and if you miss a turn, instead of screaming “perform a u turn when possible!!!” it works out another route within 3 seconds :grimacing:

it avoids steep hills as well, how much are they? sounds very good

Mr B:

Lincs Lorryist:

it avoids steep hills as well, how much are they? sounds very good

£250, well worth it for stress free driving

What ever happened to a decent road map and basic geographical knowlege ?
Ok , when you get to the Town /City - god forbid , you might have to get out of the cab and ask for directions - imagine that :open_mouth:

Lincs Lorryist:

With maps that look like a two year old made them with fat felt tip pens

blueroom1:
Searching is no good when what you need is specific advice and feedback , conversation is the best way of gaining knowledge.

I hate sniffy replys like use the search button , why not ask a question ? its a forum.

I use a tom tom 920 , oldie but its got a remote thats invaluable to me with some of the screens in the trucks I drive so far away from my sitting position.
I also use HGV solutions low bridges but they seem to have joined up with tom tom now and offer preloaded units at high street prices ,that sounds just like an advert , . any tom tom will do so long as the map is up to date but be prepared to use your eys as well and get one of those map thingys , they really are rather good for planning routes.

It’s not a sniffy response as this EXACT type of question has been asked countless times in the past. I was simply pointing our friend in the direction of a wealth of information.

Steve-o:

Lincs Lorryist:

With maps that look like a two year old made them with fat felt tip pens

Ok, it’s no picasso, but in the 8 months i’ve been using it, i’ve never struggled to follow the map, or instructions. i dare say the instructions are actually clearer than my old navman…

Lincs Lorryist:

Unless you’re wanting to go from (say) Felixstowe to (say) Catthorpe. It think one of the bridges under the A14 is actually over the A14.

Or . . . . . just when you really need it to help you out, it pops a little red cross in the bottom left corner to let you know it’s not mapped for where you are.

And it seems to assume you’re going to maintain 58mph all day long at a constant rate.

Worst thick end of 300 quids I’ve ever parted with.

tom tom one basic model about 90 quid,and then the simple truckers atlas in conjunction.

dambuster:

Lincs Lorryist:

Unless you’re wanting to go from (say) Felixstowe to (say) Catthorpe. It think one of the bridges under the A14 is actually over the A14.

Or . . . . . just when you really need it to help you out, it pops a little red cross in the bottom left corner to let you know it’s not mapped for where you are.

And it seems to assume you’re going to maintain 58mph all day long at a constant rate.

Worst thick end of 300 quids I’ve ever parted with.

So I’m not the only one that thinks it’s total ■■■

tasty:
tom tom one basic model about 90 quid,and then the simple truckers atlas in conjunction.

same here chuck a bit of commonsense into the pot and it,s the perfect recipe.zb to many cookery analogys now im starving :laughing: :laughing:

ive got the new snooper s7000, costs a lot (450) but it has a big 7" screen and it has built in freeview so no need for a separate tv when parked up, Picture quality is bang on,

The truckmate software is very good, there are a few things that need adjusting but im sure they will do a update now and then that will correct them, Things like you cant put in, smith street , junction with jones road, it just takes you to smith street.

I find the truckmate software invaluable as i tend to go to new places all the time and sometimes my truck bends in two places not just one , so three point turns in a nice big junction are out of the question lol

Pete

Suedehead:
What ever happened to a decent road map and basic geographical knowlege ?
Ok , when you get to the Town /City - god forbid , you might have to get out of the cab and ask for directions - imagine that :open_mouth:

and what ever happened to wagon drivers being held up by ■■■■ turpin and the flogging of the local toerags down the market,

its called evolution,

get over it :wink:

i do agree you still need maps for a back up but a satnav is an electronic map,

i bet if they give you an auto box you refuse to drive it dont you?