What's it going to be next

google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co … 287003.amp

What’s it going to be next?
It’s crazy if the government fold to haulage industry demands.
Every other industry is suffering aswell.
Most trades are in very high demand at the current climate.
If you want the workforce you have to pay the best.
10,000 visa is a ■■■■■■■ joke if it happens.

In conversation…

With my agency, the majority of drivers who went home did so because of the IR35 rule changes and Covid. Unless that’s changed (unlikely) then, why would they want to come back?
As echoed in other threads, they could just as easily work in Germany or remain in their home countries as the shortage is Europe wide.

However, the government says employers must invest in the UK workforce.

I see no cause for panic here. Wait, if that’s what the gov says then should we expect the exact opposite? Ie. next month as the pre-Christmas panic hits they’ll grant not 10 but 20 000 emergency ‘temporary’ visas, just to be on the safe side

They can grant as many visas as they want…they won’t be coming back!!!

It’s about time we all were given what we deserve. Employers been getting away with poor wages for years because of cheap labour from abroad. Its not how it works look after your own first! Back when I took my first job 5 years ago I was on £8ph! Used it for experience and left after 3 months! Who wants to become a hgv driver to earn a pittance unless you do 70hrs a week and don’t see your family for a reasonable living! Granted immigration can be a good thing such as doctors etc, but not to have them here to stagnate our wages its a joke and they got away with it for far too long. Unless you fix it, it will get worse.

Hauliers have only been “getting away with poor wages” because thick drivers are willing to work for it :unamused: . If drivers said no then they’d either go out of business or have to pay the market rate, like they’re finding out right about now. As per usual, drivers are their own worst enemy.

…And if they do by chance come back, and then this pushes the wages back down, what happens then?

shullbit:
…And if they do by chance come back, and then this pushes the wages back down, what happens then?

Write a strongly worded letter to Bojo crying that it’s not fair.

DCPCFML:
Hauliers have only been “getting away with poor wages” because thick drivers are willing to work for it :unamused: . If drivers said no then they’d either go out of business or have to pay the market rate, like they’re finding out right about now. As per usual, drivers are their own worst enemy.

Thick immigrants who drove the rates down !!

robthedog:
Thick immigrants who drove the rates down !!

Exactly this, what option did we have but to accept these cheap rates when there are 20 drivers waiting to fill your place as soon as you left the job. Keep them out and enforce the rates to as they currently are is only the rates they should have been years ago. I wouldnt mind the flip flops comming back providing the rates do not reduce again, but that is not going to be the case, cheap hauliers will want cheap labour.

DCPCFML:

Its easy saying this when you have money in the bank, not as easy when you are skint.

JeffA:
Its easy saying this when you have money in the bank, not as easy when you are skint.

It’s also easy buying stuff because you don’t have to worry about paying for it (yet) but it is what is

JeffA:

DCPCFML:

Simple solution to that : don’t overextend yourself and debt yourself up to your eyeballs just to keep up the Jones’s next door. No-one cares about your brand new Barratt shoebox on a new-build estate with a close-up view of a motorway from your lounge window. No-one cares about your brand new leased Audi A3 TDi S-line on the drive, in white. No-one cares about your 3 holidays a year to Benidorm.

A vast number who left will have no intention whatsoever to return. In fact around 50000 reasons in the form of bounce back loans that they have to intention of ever repaying.

the maoster:
A vast number who left will have no intention whatsoever to return. In fact around 50000 reasons in the form of bounce back loans that they have to intention of ever repaying.

This^^^^^
Speaking to a customer that we deliver to, them being foreign, all said lots of their Kin, had taken these loans, sent it home, then sold the take-away/ cash n carry to a cousin, gone home and also not paid any Tax or Vat, and will probably come back under another name…

Considering how corrupt certain EU countries are when in comes to issuing driving licenses. I would not be surprised if this was to happen that many refugees would just get a hgv licence instead of paying £5000+ to cross the channel on a dingy.

Heck, the cost of a HGV licence in many EU countries is pretty cheap. Maybe this will be the new method which by refugees get into the UK. :laughing:

It’s fair to say I disagree with the idea. Heck some drivers are going on strike soon over pay parity issues. So its not like the industry is doing much to even keep current drivers on board. It’s silly.

adam277:
Heck some drivers are going on strike soon over pay parity issues. So its not like the industry is doing much to even keep current drivers on board. It’s silly.

Is this like the strike there was supposed to be a couple of months ago or weeks or whatever which never happened? Who is having parity pay issues?

Conor:

adam277:
Heck some drivers are going on strike soon over pay parity issues. So its not like the industry is doing much to even keep current drivers on board. It’s silly.

Is this like the strike there was supposed to be a couple of months ago or weeks or whatever which never happened? Who is having parity pay issues?

www.mirror.co.uk/money/1500-stores-face … 795909.amp

adam277:
Considering how corrupt certain EU countries are when in comes to issuing driving licenses. I would not be surprised if this was to happen that many refugees would just get a hgv licence instead of paying £5000+ to cross the channel on a dingy.

Heck, the cost of a HGV licence in many EU countries is pretty cheap. Maybe this will be the new method which by refugees get into the UK. [emoji38]

It’s fair to say I disagree with the idea. Heck some drivers are going on strike soon over pay parity issues. So its not like the industry is doing much to even keep current drivers on board. It’s silly.

Which EU countries have corruption regarding driving licence issue?

the maoster:

50,000 quid loan is on 25% of turnover.
So either these are for £200k drivers? Or if these are the drivers keeping our pay down, it’ll be more like £6,000 or less.
Whatever the amount, a scam is wrong of course, but are many drivers fleeing the country with pockets full of fivers I wonder?