Our future lorry drivers

what do you think is going to happen in many years to come as there are hardly any drivers in thier 20’s, and young people are totaly not interested in driving a lorry.
we are swamped with polish drivers in the uk now is it gonna get worse?

All driven automatically by GPS

Did u by any chance follow the irish ferry disput a few weeks ago. To cut to the chase they got rid of … how can i say with out being offensive our lads whom were on a higher wage and then empoyed eatern europeans on the irish national minimun wage. Now opperating a ferry requires skill and if a ferry company can operate with cheaper waged people whom are willing to do that, then surly not it could happen here.Our wages to them are big money. It may not effect our wage now but the increase in yearly wages can become less.

The only people at school I remember wanting to be truck drivers were a few who had a haulage background, so grew up with the job and the odd person who just got hooked on trucks, but it was never promoted as a career choice.
And is these days of league tables and trying to get every teenager into higher education I doubt HGV driver is even in the career book, other similar manual jobs like building trades have a problem recruiting young people.
I mean at 16 you can do anything, why would you choose a job with long hours, low pay, Crap job status and you have to pay for your training.

Also whats the point of enouraging young people to join the industry if once they find the truth they leave. Be better to keep drivers by improving the job, but the industry and goverment do nothing and it will bite them in the end. How many drivers out there are in their late 50’s early 60’s? And they can’t rely on East European workers forever. This year most other EU countries are lifting the rescrictions they put on workers from the new EU countries, so those East European workers will have much greater choice and be able to work nearer home.

the other problem faced by many not in the haulage trade by family, is that there’s 2 routes in…

as a young lad working as a drivers mate for a few years paid peanuts, then maybe multidropping in vans for a few years on low wage for big hours and then paying to train up onto them - many leave thinking the whole trade is like the breakneck living white van driver’s life doing silly unregulated hours for minimum wage and think “sod that” to a lifetime of it and do something else.

otherwise doing something else for several years then making a decision to change to haulage around 24/25 years of age and paying to train knowing finally that firms can insure them cos they’re old enough.

either route they’re lucky to find decent regular work with a decent wage for a couple of years and for many taking route 2 they get comfy in their previous career and stick at that instead.

your average youngster now leaves school IT literate is encouraged to take further education, comes out with a degree and is pressured into “not wasting it” and takes other work, or has skills for easier work on regular hours for similar or more money.

there’s no incentive any more and kids don’t particularly want mucky or lonely jobs without realistic tales of earning mega-bucks for doing it.

muckles:
And they can’t rely on East European workers forever.

Really ? One big advantage to the more “developed” countries in the EU is the migration of labour. You only have to look around you to see the demand for skilled/semi-skilled manual labour, if we want it cheap we have to look further a field, next comes Turkey…

muckles:
This year most other EU countries are lifting the rescrictions they put on workers from the new EU countries, so those East European workers will have much greater choice and be able to work nearer home.

That’s as maybe but we know in practise some EU countries will not lift restrictions totally. Besides, the EU will be like one big community where runs just become further, but still covered by cheaper labour.

el gordo 78:
…kids don’t particularly want mucky or lonely jobs without realistic tales of earning mega-bucks for doing it.

Exactly, although I fail to see what many of them especially the lazy, barely literate types, of which there are plenty think they are going to achieve. They are in effect dismissing a job that they probably aren’t ever going to be good enough to do anyway, an attitude that annoys me.

i’m 24 years old and i drive for my dad! haulage is in my blood ive grew up around it and i knew i was gonna drive a truck from a early age. i passed my test at 21, ive been driving since then i have not bumped into any class 1 driver my age now i’m thinking is this a good thing, maybe in years to come money will be really good as there wont be many of us or it could be a really bad thing as more drivers like the polish will take over and we will be a minority so then our earnings will drop to a low wage and we will have no say because we wont be needed.

i’ll have to dig out some of my old truck mags from the late 70’s early 80’s, i do believe they were asking the very same question about how were they going to get young uns into the game back then as wll! :laughing:

i wouldnt mind betting its a question asked every 5 years or so, but the beat still goes on. and yes, there will be a load of eu drivers, the turks aint even started up yet!

Maybe a few of the Trucknet memebers who own, run, work for or with training schools can give aview as to how busy they are and how many guys and gals are training in C+E these days, that way we may get a truer picture of the real situation regarding up and coming Drivers.

530power:
i’m 24 years old and i drive for my dad! haulage is in my blood ive grew up around it and i knew i was gonna drive a truck from a early age. i passed my test at 21, ive been driving since then i have not bumped into any class 1 driver my age now i’m thinking is this a good thing, maybe in years to come money will be really good as there wont be many of us or it could be a really bad thing as more drivers like the polish will take over and we will be a minority so then our earnings will drop to a low wage and we will have no say because we wont be needed.

Thats what Im hoping! :laughing:

Im 23 & just got my class 2. I dont know, and havent seen any other drivers my own age in HGVs. I think the main barrier, apart from the crap pay, working conditions, etc is the fact that when you leave school you have to wait 5 years before you can even think of getting into a truck.

Also, as has already been mentioned, alot of people dont want to spend thousands of pounds on their training when you can pick just about any other trade and get your course paid in full. :confused:

What i cant understand is why so many drivers on here keep saying the job has crap pay…Errrr have you looked in the job centre at “other” jobs within your area as im sure theres a hell of a lot worse paying jobs than hgv work. so to me that says hgv work pays quite well

simon

SimonRS2K:
What i cant understand is why so many drivers on here keep saying the job has crap pay…Errrr have you looked in the job centre at “other” jobs within your area as im sure theres a hell of a lot worse paying jobs than hgv work. so to me that says hgv work pays quite well

simon

i see what you are saying Simon but what are those jobs and how much does it cost an individual to qualify themselves for them? we should be on a decent rate because of the initial outlay and more importantly, the skills involved. when was the last time someone called themselves a professional trolley collector? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the employers will be faced with a decision. do they pay lower wages and higher insurance due to accidents or do they pay a higher wage and lower insurance? if they want a proper competant driver then they will have to keep coming to us and paying for the privelage

scanny77:
… the skills involved. when was the last time someone called themselves a professional trolley collector? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Agree, I don’t think you can compare driving an LGV (of either class) to stacking shelves, basic office work, etc… yet they are expected to work for similar wages.

mrpj:

scanny77:
… the skills involved. when was the last time someone called themselves a professional trolley collector? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Agree, I don’t think you can compare driving an LGV (of either class) to stacking shelves, basic office work, etc… yet they are expected to work for similar wages.

Agreed! :smiley:

mrpj:

scanny77:

The difference is if you shelf stack or work in an office, you know when you are finishing work and can go home to a proper shower and bed. You don’t have to spend allday fighting traffic to reach somewhere at a deadline only to be kept for hours. Unless you have diesel in your blood why would you want to do this job?

Not sure what it is like in other areas but down here, there is a 3rd option

once you have been unemployed for 6 months, the jobcentre pushes you into a new deal training scheme, 1 local school is actually reluctant to take private individuals because that would take a place away from a well paid jobcentre student.

think about it, Why have someone pay for a week when the govt will pay for 6 weeks per student??

The result

More drivers than actual jobs down here, hence lower wages and people who have the licence but have no intention of using them.

we’re all going to hell in a handcart :blush: :blush:

Semtex:
Not sure what it is like in other areas but down here, there is a 3rd option

once you have been unemployed for 6 months, the jobcentre pushes you into a new deal training scheme, 1 local school is actually reluctant to take private individuals because that would take a place away from a well paid jobcentre student.

Schemes like that make me mad! :imp:

I would have gone on the dole for 6 months to get my training paid, but that would have meant losing my home & family. :confused:

Even when I was unemployed for about 2 months I didnt bother claiming JSA for the simple fact it would have taken nearly that long to get the forms filled in. :laughing:

SimonRS2K:

simon

thats why im mad to get my hgv back, besides i like the job! but besides that theres not any other job i could get where i’d get anywhere near the loot, and theres no doubt the ■■■■■■■ would want me to actually work as well, you know what i say, you “colleagues” get my box tipped while i have sleep, i’ll have the 400 quid a week thankee! :wink:

My young nephew is very keen to join our industry , he has just turned 16 years old and wishes to be an apprentice for truck maintainance/ engineer . When he approached the school carrers officer he was told to go and get a proper job. This young man is desperate to get some work but in the mean-time he has gone back to college rather than hang about with other kids who can not find work.

If anyone knows of anything in the Sunderland area that this young man (Tom) can try for please let me know, he is even prepared to work in a garage at weekends for pocket money but a full apprenticeship would be a lot better