Another driver shortage thread,,,,,,,

We all know of the apparent driver shortage and experts predict it to get a lot worse!!

So whats gonna give?? The government aint gonna scrap the DCPC and they aint gonna fund newbies to get a licence.

So what do you think will happen in your experience?
Is the haulage industry gonna get rich cos the demand outweighs the supply :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

bagz:
Is the haulage industry gonna get rich cos the demand outweighs the supply :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Hold on to that dream. Youā€™ll be lucky if it comes to fruition though.

Maybe companies will start taking on ā€œapprenticesā€ and making them stay two years or repay the cost of their training.

Terry T:

bagz:

Hold on to that dream. Youā€™ll be lucky if it comes to fruition though.

Iā€™m not a driver, and still a little undecided whether to go ahead yet. Ā£3k is a fair bit of cash to get my licences for a job iā€™m likely to be getting less than Ā£10/hour as a newbie. So yeah, iā€™ll hold onto that dream for now :smiley:

I just think that if current driver wants to change jobs there are a few more options out there, stuck in a rut - make a move :smiley:

What I donā€™t understand is how thereā€™s a shortage of drivers yet companies still want drivers with at least 2 years experience. Makes it hard for people like me who have spent thousands on training and getting qualified to get a jobā€¦

nurburg340:
What I donā€™t understand is how thereā€™s a shortage of drivers yet companies still want drivers with at least 2 years experience. Makes it hard for people like me who have spent thousands on training and getting qualified to get a jobā€¦

Before you spent thousands, how much job research did you do ?

I found many that didnā€™t mention any experience in adverts, now Iā€™m passed and contacted them all I get is a ā€œOh sorry you need to have 2 years experienceā€.

companies with the 2 year rule will employ you if you have some experiance, even without they will employ you but some only if you sign a form saying you will pay the excess as i believe it can be up to Ā£5000 for new passesi applied for 10 calss 1 jobs a month after passing my test and got offered every one of them, if you show willing and inniative they will give you a chance, but again if your willing to take 7.50 an hour theyll start you tomorrow so long as you only kill 2 pedestrians and hit less than 3 cars on the assesment

Judehamish:
Maybe companies will start taking on ā€œapprenticesā€ and making them stay two years or repay the cost of their training.

Its what the oil rigs done when the survival course rule came in. That worked.

Is there a driver shortage. Yes.
Is it a bad as people in the industry say. No.

But the more people talk of one the more the rates will sneak up.

Will drivers see wages increase. Possibly, but not to the level it should and why should it when you can jump on a Ā£49 flight live in your cab for 6 to 8 weeks and think Ā£7.50 is a good wage.

bagz:
So what do you think will happen in your experience?

Zbā€™all will happen, theyā€™ll just keep banging on about it until the cows come home, hopefully a few agencies will cease to trade:grin:

the lazy driver:
Is there a driver shortage. Yes.

No is the correct answer, there hasnā€™t been one & never will be one for a very long time!

the lazy driver:
Is it a bad as people in the industry say. No.

Correct-maybe because there isnā€™t actually a shortage in the first placeā€¦:open_mouth:

the lazy driver:
Will drivers see wages increase. Possibly, but not to the level it should and why should it when you can jump on a Ā£49 flight live in your cab for 6 to 8 weeks and think Ā£7.50 is a good wage.

Just because agencies have put rates up as self employed etc doesnā€™t necessarily mean itā€™s becoming industry norm, itā€™s a smoke screen and just as fast as they can put them up they can bring them back down. If things really were as good as youā€™re making out theyā€™d be more permanent jobs advertised paying a decent wage (Ā£10 minimum)+benefits etc!!!