What would you do ?job offer

Right here goes,

Started putting the feelers out looking for job early last week just had a call from a small firm to say can you start monday,

the bones of this job are : 410 pound paid into bank every week,shifts are 4 days on 4 days off (nights out).

Class 1 one box work running supermarket stuff.

The bones of the next job are , Got an interview driving assesment Friday 3 pm ,

The transport guy says you can have any shifts you like tramping,weekends,rolling shifts,uk or european, we are desperate for drivers,

Now alarm bells start ringing when they say you can have what shifts you want etc etc,

Dont know wht the pay rates are exactly , but my dilema is do i go withe guy with 6 units and start Monday (seems a ssound guy by the way)

Or do i turn up at the Interview withe big haulier on Friday, and go with them if offerd a start.

What would you folks do ?

I’d wonder why they admit to being desperate for drivers!

Yeah thats what I was thinking POP and the fact that he said bring your bank details would sugest if I have two arms and legs I will get a start.

Don’t want to mention the leeds based company by name just in case i have it wrong but gut feeling is pointing me in the direction of the smaller firm at the moment.

In my limited experience I have always found the smaller companies to be the better bet. You are treated as a person as opposed to a number, if you have any issues you can speak to the person that counts and can do something about it!

No doubt there are exceptions to this, but this is my experience. You also. as you have said, need to know why the larger company is crying out for drivers.

I think from what you say you have answered your own queries!!

Go for the smaller firm, maybe get the odd agency shift on yer 4 off too :slight_smile:

same as the others coder, go for the smaller firm sounds the better option, alarms bells would be ringing as to why they are desparete for drivers. and if its who i think it is then know need to say any more :smiley:

Isn’t there more money in plastering? (That is what you doing at the moment isn’t it?)
Any decent ones round here are booked up months in advance plus all the big outfits are rubbing their hands due to the potential work in the flood hit zones.

I would go for the 4 on 4 off, its a great shift pattern as you get plenty of time of.

Wayne.

I’d go for the smaller firm, especially if the other outfit you mentioned was supposedly A 1st class company! :wink:

marcustandy:
I’d go for the smaller firm, especially if the other outfit you mentioned was supposedly A 1st class company! :wink:

Yeah Ive worked for many suposedly first class companies and they aint always as 1st class has they think they are.

Im leaning toward the smaller outfit at the mo which seems to be what you guys are saying (opinions appreciated) But gonna go along for the interview tomorrow out of curiosity and if the smaller firm thing falls through before Monday (still waiting for start time instructions etc) I still have option 2 .

:sunglasses:

4 on 4 off sounds good until you land a Fri,Sat ,Sun, and Mon bank holiday !!! sitting in all that traffic for 4 days!!! ■■■■ that!!!

Also most of the Poles in my town seem to have gone home for a while I dont know if theres a big celebration or something on at the minute but theres even a shortage of them at the minute!!!.

I just hope British Industry can last the pace without them. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

thecoder0 is it the people from Hull (small yard) and the main store depot (Nisa?) in Scunthorpe…

If so, get in touch with me :slight_smile:

Note - not going to name the firm for the time being

xlthunter:
thecoder0 is it the people from Hull (small yard) and the main store depot (Nisa?) in Scunthorpe…

If so, get in touch with me :slight_smile:

Note - not going to name the firm for the time being

Hi mate no its not the folks from Hull :laughing:

I just rang up after a job 4 on 4 off too. Tyldsley Distribution advertised it. He said i caught him at a bad time, leave my number and he’ll ring me back the next day. Thats was about a fortnight ago. £450 per week plus your night out money, it was tramping.

the smaller firm will always win ,as been said on ere ,your a person ,not some number on a payroll sheet.

have worked for the big boys, tin hat on :open_mouth: ,(wincanton,wisemans,) and now on for family firm with 4 artics and a few rigids,get left alone to do the run,call when empty,or on way back with load.

max 2 calls per day,some days not even that.

had a coffee with the boss at six this morning before going out,cant be done at the bigger firms most dont come in till 8 if your lucky.

best of luck

mark

Deffinatley the small firm!! As everyone has said you get treated like a person.12 artics and 3 rigids with us and the boss is a top bloke!! Will call about 4pm to check i’m still alive,if he hasn’t heard from me that day, but otherwise lets me get on and knows if i need anything i’ll call him. He’s allways got time for a chat, asks how’s the family or how the weekend went. Small things like that go a long way when everyone is so busy. I think i’d struggle if i had to work for a big firm now.