What would you do.?

Ive seen a job locally paying 25k for 5 night trunks.Approx 60hours a week.

or i can travel 50miles to work and earn in the region of 27k.This job has some nights out so i dont have to travel every day.And i get the nightout money ontop of the 27k.This job due to the wtd has been droped to 4/5 daysand average 48 hours,because we cant get any poa in. but i’m roughly doing 300 miles a week in the car. £20 in fuel plus wear and tear.This is a large national company as the other is a small haulier.

In other words i dont know what to do.

Any advice would be grateful.

Tony b

I’d go for the one you think you’ll enjoy more…the money and hours aren’t really that different especially when you add your travel time in.

I would go for the large national company if it was me after a couplre of years at one of the big boys i dont think i would go back to a small haulier again.

I did nights for seven years i was shattered all the time only did it for the money, but it is up to you i would also go with the bigger company, i have done this job for 24 years and have learnt it is not just about the money take the job you think you will like.

Thanks for the replys.

I’d gladly stay with the big firm.But the person on the desk makes our life crap.He keeps changeing motors on us.And ive only had one good run this week.So ive been home twice (thats 200 miles so far) and tomorrow he wanted me to do 4 drops north east and have a night out.But if he cant give me work in the week he cant expect me to want it on a friday.And he is an ex driver who used to pick his runs and keep the same motor and it was parked up if he was on holiday.

I went for the interview for the night trunk job today.The boss seems ok.But he’s got others to interview yet.So i’ll just have to wait and see.

I’m probably like the rest of you on here, look after me and i’ll do a good job.But you get crapped on, and they dont like it when you refuse to do things.

Cheers

Tony b

I do think that there are some people (me included) who are just not cut-out for nights!

I did it for quite a few weeks and simply couldn’t get my body clock to adjust. I was near to falling asleep for most of the shift and then couldn’t sleep properly at home during the day.

I could maybe do a night shift if it was something other than driving but i’d certainly be thinking twice about any job driving on nights.

marcustandy:
I do think that there are some people (me included) who are just not cut-out for nights!

I did it for quite a few weeks and simply couldn’t get my body clock to adjust. I was near to falling asleep for most of the shift and then couldn’t sleep properly at home during the day.

I could maybe do a night shift if it was something other than driving but i’d certainly be thinking twice about any job driving on nights.

I feel as though i’m on nights most of the time as it is.
I’m up a 2.30 for a 4am start.Then i can be parking up at 7 at night.then away at 4am the next day.

Ive spoken to the boss again and he said its a 5.30pm start and i’d be home by 4.30am so its not as long a shift as i thought

Tony b

tonyb…:

marcustandy:
I’m up a 2.30 for a 4am start.

In times past I have done work for Corby Chilled on one of their shifts that started at 0200am!!! Most definately the worst start time I have ever had. :cry: :cry:

tonyb…:
I feel as though i’m on nights most of the time as it is.
**I’m up a 2.30 for a 4am start.**Then i can be parking up at 7 at night.then away at 4am the next day.

That sounds familiar :exclamation: :exclamation: