Dilemma?

I am stuck in a dilemma workwise,

I am currently working on class2, earning a half right amount of cash, not doing massive hours (average less than 40 a week), home every night,
The only thing is I am going for my Class1 and have been told my opportunities here would be limited to holiday cover as it stands,
But still the job ticks alot of boxes you would think.

But I am thinking of leaving now, Why you may say,

I dont know exactly, I want to ‘get out more’, punish myself :confused: Go further afield than the North West, spend a couple of nights away.

I am asking because there are people on here who have far far more experiance than me,
Would you give up the cushy life and jump into the unknown not knowing whether you are making a mistake or not?

Heard on the news - current statistics show that more men are opting for more time off or shorter hours than pay rises due to putting the family first.

just done what your on about and yes i get about all over the place, 60/70 hrs per week ,goodish money .
but no social life at all , i just want to sleep the little time im at home.
if your doing 40 hrs a week ,good money stick to it ,enjoy your life [only m.h.o]

If I read your post right it seems your present firm are going to put you through your Class1?

If so, stick with them and pass your test. No matter what happens it will be another feather in your cap. :slight_smile:

As for spending nights away (which I have never done) it seems odd to me to sleep out just for the sake of it :confused: . IMHO, If the money is right and the job is a good one then go for it, if it includes nights out then so be it.

hammer:
If I read your post right it seems your present firm are going to put you through your Class1?/quote]

Self funded, the company have no reason to put me through the test as I speak now as they are covered for drivers.

Get the C+E ( :wink: Coffeeholic), and then you have the choice. I’ve been tramping, trunking, multi-dropping on days, and I don’t mind any of it.
So if a job turns up for good money (ie. same as nights out + tramping), and it’s local, and you get to be home every night, you’ll be in a position to take it.
But you have to put the time in first to get the driving hours (at least a year really) so you will have to leave your current job anyway. It sounds like you’ve already decided on that, so go for it - a change is as good as a rest.
I just realised that all that sounds like I want to stay at home, and not do tramping anymore, but hell, if I can get the same money or better without being stuck in a red hot cab next to a noisy fridge all night, then I’m all for it. (and it seems I can get the same money, roll on next week.)

smoker:
Get the C+E

I agree, go for the Class 1, having more options can only be a good thing surely.

a lad on our place was in a similar position to you.
He was on a good number, job and knock and guaranteed 48 hours pay.
Some weeks he was only doing 32 hours and still getting paid!
They then asked him if he fancied doing his class 1 through the firm and he agreed.
He’s now doing nearer 60 hours with varying start times and the odd night out and he hates it!
And it works out that he’s not that much better off in his pocket.
Better the devil you know I think…

Coffeeholic:

smoker:
Get the C+E

I agree, go for the Class 1, having more options can only be a good thing surely.

Well you should be able to double the number of classes really, what with Class 2 and C, C1 and car licence, B, D, etc, etc.
I really want to get my K, or maybe a G …

it doesnt matter how far away you travel ,or which part of the country your seeing ,if you dont like the job ,its crap ,if you enjoy the job your doing and can live on the money ,then take the c+e pass it but keep where you are
nights out are no great shakes ,11hours in a tin box for £19 getting crap sleep smelling other drivers ■■■■ all night(how idle are you people?its not that far to walk) :unamused: eating rubbish food and paying through the nose for it
yes i do a couple a week but i allways stay somewhere with decent food showers and beer it usually cost me more to stop out than i earn
but at the end of the day i love my job and i will put up with it a couple of times a week because thats the way it is and i knew it before i took the job ,but i wouldnt take a different job just for the experiance

Small Update.
Went to see the gaffer and explained the script,
“I finish work and go home and scratch my nuts as theres no missus to scratch them for me, what can you offer me etc”

He said were hopefully gaining a couple of new contracts and will give me a couple of extra locals a couple of times a week at overtime rate, and a good chance of getting my own wagon (a big bug bear of mine is sharing vehicle) so fingers crossed thinks are looking good,
No punishment or sleeping in ■■■■■ car parks yet :sunglasses:

B1 GGK:
“I finish work and go home and scratch my nuts as theres no missus to scratch them for me, what can you offer me etc”

I’d of loved to of seen the look on his face if you said it just like that. I reckon he’ll keep you out all the time so you come nowhere near him !!!

Tramped for 28 years in UK and Europe with longest away 7 weeks.
Not done a night out in 6 years and agency knows that a night out is really spelt ‘handing in notice’.
Home every day, about the same money (assuming I work a full week - and that don’t happen often) and about 30 hours less even if I do work a full week.
Could spend a month thinking of reasons to do tramping but not find one.
Get your Class 1 as insurance and personal satisfaction, but sod the pushing max hours everyday with a layby at the end of the day as ‘home’.

B1 GGK:

There’s your problem.

Get yourself a missus

She’ll do all the thinking for you. :laughing: :wink:

Stan