What should I do

Start a new job tommorow -

I passed my class 1 in April 08 but have only got about 4/5 weeks experience which i gained with an agency earlier last year,but as the work dried up I had to take a position elsewhere which was full time driving a 7.5t . I have not driven class 1 since the agency work last year mainly because I have not been given the break I needed due to lack of experience. Anyway I have now secured class 1 work - probably as the employer asked who I had driven for before I replied ‘’ Tesco,Asda,Currie european and CRW. the thing he didn’t ask was for how long I had driven for them for ■■

Do you think I should mention it or just get on with it, when all said and done I have passed my test like everyone else ■■

Don’t talk yourself out of a job, tell 'em what they want to hear, you’ll be fine :wink:

Good God, no, they’ve given you the job, if they wanted to know how much actual driving you’ve done then they should have asked you at the interview. Their bad!

matt01:
Start a new job tommorow -

I passed my class 1 in April 08 but have only got about 4/5 weeks experience which i gained with an agency earlier last year,but as the work dried up I had to take a position elsewhere which was full time driving a 7.5t . I have not driven class 1 since the agency work last year mainly because I have not been given the break I needed due to lack of experience. Anyway I have now secured class 1 work - probably as the employer asked who I had driven for before I replied ‘’ Tesco,Asda,Currie european and CRW. the thing he didn’t ask was for how long I had driven for them for ■■

Do you think I should mention it or just get on with it, when all said and done I have passed my test like everyone else ■■

take the job you will pick up the exp as time goes on if your not sure about anything ASK AND ASK again if he is a good employer he would want you to ask. before you muck up what sort of work is it :question: because there is easy work and hard work there is nothing like being thown in a the deep end it can be good for you hope it goes well . Adam

Just go for it…I passed my class 1 on the Monday, got a start the Wednesday after, bloke who employed me told me not to tell the transport manager just how new I was, I was straight into London in a Daf XF105 460 and full lenght tri axle trailer…If I can do it anyone can!
Go and enjoy yersen, I just took it easy and thought about what I was doing.

Big ■■■■:
take the job you will pick up the exp as time goes on if your not sure about anything ASK AND ASK again if he is a good employer he would want you to ask

The only thing I would say here is that if you are unsure about anything, you should always ask another driver rather than an office bod or the boss.

This is what I posted in the duplicate thread

Semtex:
Just get on with it mate, take it nice and slow to start with.

In my experience you will find it is like riding a bike…it will come back to you quite quick.

I’ve been similar…a couple of months here…6 month gap…3 months there…6 month gap…etc

Its the reversing you will need to take extra care on

Harry Monk:

Big ■■■■:
take the job you will pick up the exp as time goes on if your not sure about anything ASK AND ASK again if he is a good employer he would want you to ask

The only thing I would say here is that if you are unsure about anything, you should always ask another driver rather than an office bod or the boss.

I am not sure about that one H. He may be better off asking someone on here, or a driver from another company, we all know how the company backstabbers have two faces :smiley:

Here endeth your first lesson, trust only yourself :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for all the responses -

I thought I would see what you chaps thought - Which to be fair was exactly what I thought Keep my mouth shut and get on with it.

I’m looking forward to getting back on the road,

The work i’m going to be doing is day work on bulk tippers, 60 hour week paying £9.44 per hour so money not too bad -

I’ll post some pics and a diary soon.

Thanks for the advice.

Find a gear that makes it go and don’t try to change it until your out of sight and earshot of the yard. Then TAKE YOUR TIME! the rest will come back to you quite quickly. Well done on your new job.

matt01:
Thanks for all the responses -

I thought I would see what you chaps thought - Which to be fair was exactly what I thought Keep my mouth shut and get on with it.

Mate, when I started out (1986 if you really want to know :wink: ) I had to lie like a flatfish to get work. Whenever I was asked "Have you done “such-and-such”, I used to say “Yeah yeah yeah, done that all over the place”.

Driven one of them, had one of those trailers, whatever you want to hear, Treasure!

Just go for it mate…take your time and youll soon get into the groove…good luck and well done :slight_smile:

matt01:
The work i’m going to be doing is day work on bulk tippers .

Done that, Romac, 1988. Here’s a tiny bit of bulk tipper advice.

Only ever tip on level ground, never raise the bucket near electrical lines, watch it all the way up, especially if you have a load which might solidify in cold conditions, abort the tip if anything looks wrong.

Have fun!

I’d give the opposite advice, i lied through my teeth to get work when i first passed my test, exgeratted experience we prob all did. Only way to get on, worked for me.

But your in the door now, and i wouldnt keep it up, espec if your a bit rusty and doing tippers for the first time. I make it clear your a bit rusty etc… i always did this when i was in the door, they may give you a bit more leeway than if they think your experienced and maybe go out their way a bit more to make sure they show you what you need to know.

Don’t try stumbling through the job if you aint sure about anything. I’d make it clear you newish and appreciate any advice or help, every place i went i got it. Maybe the job a lot easier.