First job interveiw thursday / or stay in old factory job?

Hi passed my class 2 last wendsday ,called at a few agencies friday,was told i should call back when my licence arrivesm The bloke at driverhire told me about a local firm that was after class 2 drivers the wage was £400 a week ,thought no point trying cos got zero experience he said it dont matter so sent my cv and covering letter of saturday just to see what happens, explaining that i was working at the moment in a factory and only had my class 2 a short time lol.
Was at work this afternoon got a call asking me for an interveiw on thursday ,really nice lady asks “oh dont forget your didgi card?” i said i dont know what one of them is and that i only passed my test few days ago.
"Oh ok what time is best for u ect " anyway interveiw 12pm thursday felt i right ■■■ cos i didnt know what a didgi card was so will see.Only thing is i have been at my job 8 years,its a boring factory job pays bills ect and i always whanted my class 1 so i put in for redundancy last month, i was accepted so paid deposit on my class 2 training then use my £5000 for the rest ,so then at the last minute they told me i couldnt go, ■■■■■■■ human recorces had put a block on it!
In a bit of a mess now do i take this job if i get it . The firm have all ther own wagons and its a well known company even got a fleet of arctics
or wait for the firm i with now to make some more redundacys get £5000 maybe after xmas maybe not?
Since i passed i just want to get out and drive a truck should i be patient or what?

How can you take the job if HR have put a block on it? Just forget about it and ask the agency for other work instead. You get that kind of thing a lot when they realise.

No HR were i am working now put a block on my voulantary redundancy,few week back b4 i got my class 2 ,got this job lined up, I just wondering should i take it or hang about 12 months or less cos think there might be more redundancys to come were i am now and £5000 is a lot of dosh to give up on but on the other hand a nice trucking job and £60 a week better pay sounds good to me .

slackeye:
No HR were i am working now put a block on my voulantary redundancy,few week back b4 i got my class 2 ,got this job lined up, I just wondering should i take it or hang about 12 months or less cos think there might be more redundancys to come were i am now and £5000 is a lot of dosh to give up on but on the other hand a nice trucking job and £60 a week better pay sounds good to me .

Well that’s a decision that only you can make. No point asking us as we don’t know your circumstances.

Hello mate, as you know there are good and bad sides to both routes…i think you should sit down with your better half and decide what is best for you both…after all it’ll only affect you two, we could sit here and tell you what we would do, BUT its not US who will be doing it…and everyone’s different.

If it were me, i’d take the driving job if its offered coz if its what you would enjoy you’d be happier…also if it was £60 extra per week, if u saved the extra each week, in 52 weeks you’d have saved £3120…not far off your redundancy pay and obviously in 2 yrs you could save £6240 (more than your redundancy).
well theses my 2 pence worth…good luck with whatever you decide mate.

did your company accept your voluntary redundancy in writting, I thought that once they gave you it in writting it is difficult for them to withdraw it.
Have a word with HR & your union to explain that you were told you were been made redundant, so your out of pockert for paying to retrain yourself to LGV Driver & that you have an offer of a job.

I’m afraid I agree with Rob, it really is up to what you feel would be best.

You obviously don’t like your present job and you’ve been offered a fulltime drving job without experience, no mean task, but it’s going to be a gamble either way.

Good luck with whatever you decide though. :wink:

HI went for interveiw was with britsh bakeries they were really great ,very laid back then i had to have a driving test ! :open_mouth: fella took me down to there yard loads of daf wagons and a few volvos i noticed the dafs had a really long back end from the rear axelThen i had to fill a tacho out lot do my daily checks then i was asked 2 drive her out the yard the fella was a right character ,kept saying dont worry about the drive he had a clipboard with steering,conrtols,etc writen with good ,fair,bad above each one :confused: noticed it was a 6 speed no switch? oh well fella kept telling me to watch the back end when i was turning cos it swings out loads of new starters have hit stuff with ! the brakes were awful like a metro nothing like the scania i trained with god knows what they would be like with i full load,was doing ok then stopped at roundabout handbrake on,ok 2 go stalled! ■■■■ ■■■■ tryed not to panic started again and was off got back to yard he says reverse into a loading bay,soon has its in reverse the incab camera comes on cool! so was reversing b4 i knew it i was right up to the bay.
so got out filled tach out other fella comes down see how i have done driver guy says hes crap then laughs and says no give him job
so just waiting now was thurs afternoon not heard nothing yet fingers crossed

slackeye:
Hi passed my class 2 last wendsday ,called at a few agencies friday,was told i should call back when my licence arrivesm The bloke at driverhire told me about a local firm that was after class 2 drivers the wage was £400 a week ,thought no point trying cos got zero experience he said it dont matter so sent my cv and covering letter of saturday just to see what happens, explaining that i was working at the moment in a factory and only had my class 2 a short time lol.
Was at work this afternoon got a call asking me for an interveiw on thursday ,really nice lady asks “oh dont forget your didgi card?” i said i dont know what one of them is and that i only passed my test few days ago.
"Oh ok what time is best for u ect " anyway interveiw 12pm thursday felt i right ■■■ cos i didnt know what a didgi card was so will see.Only thing is i have been at my job 8 years,its a boring factory job pays bills ect and i always whanted my class 1 so i put in for redundancy last month, i was accepted so paid deposit on my class 2 training then use my £5000 for the rest ,so then at the last minute they told me i couldnt go, [zb] human recorces had put a block on it!
In a bit of a mess now do i take this job if i get it . The firm have all ther own wagons and its a well known company even got a fleet of arctics
or wait for the firm i with now to make some more redundacys get £5000 maybe after xmas maybe not?
Since i passed i just want to get out and drive a truck should i be patient or what?

waited about 7 yrs to get my redundancy and never got it , every year theyd let people go but not me so in the end went on the sick for the max 12 weeks on full pay and did agency and got a fair chunk of my redundancy that way

Hello mate, sounds like you did well on your assessment, only stalled it once, from what you put it sounded good.
I’d probably give em a call to get an update on if i got the job, but thats just my opinion.

would it have been 1 of these slackeye■■?

Which British Bakeries is it?

Anyway the best of luck mate, any news yet■■?

wills

Hi Willis you were spot on with the pic thats the truck ! what a ■■■■■■■ awful thing to drive! lol mind u thought that about the scania i learnt in by the end of my training week i loved it! :slight_smile:
Think ur right if ive not heard anything while wednesday i gonna call them ,also signed up with driver hire and protemp logistics told them i work shifts in a factory just that i want some weekend work cos i only passed few week back im not bothered if its not class 2 anything to get some money and my foot in.
Had to do some tacho and driving time tests and stuff did ok,got to send for my digi card also.
They were happy to sign me up asked if i would get work ,they both said i would,they said they would get me out week on friday cos ill be on lates mon 2 thurs 2 while 12 i dont work fridays .
If i do ok will get me plenty of weekend work ,will see :slight_smile:

Hi aidy 1,i was gonna do that, go on the sick but how can i? wouldnt the taxman or social know cos id be paying taxes right?
Would be great cash in hand but them jobs hard to find!
Some body told me to cliam im deppressed but thats a none starter with driving isnt it?
My plan is to get some weekends agancy thats if i dont get the bakery job,cos if i do im off !
:laughing:
I am gonna try and wait 6 months and see when we move back 2 old factory if theres gonna be redundancies ,blob a few times b4 cos if i got my 6 grand would do my class 1
but its getting hard i did my class 2 for a reason thats to drive trucks and everytime i see one on my way to and from work i just want to be there!
I dont want to wait months never mind years!

The bakeries job is a killer because of the hours, when i was trying to get full time I was always getting offered it by agencies and decent money too. Most of their motors have Drivers Required and a phone number on the tail lift. It would seem like you’ve a good chance of a job offer if you did OK on your drive. If you decide to go down the driving now route it wouldn’t be a bad way to start even if you only did it for a short while. It can be difficult getting a sniff at work as a new driver and even a small amount of experience goes a long way.

And yes those DAF’s are crap, I used to have to drive some like that on DBC and hated them, the only good thing about them was that they were much more manouevrabe than the Iveco equivalent. They do seem to have quite a few plain white LF’s though which are much better.

the brakes were awful like a metro, god knows what they would be like with i full load,

Bread doesn’t weigh much :laughing:

got the job now the learning starts! :open_mouth:

Nice one mate!!! Goodluck :smiley:

Good luck with the new job slackeye :smiley:

nice one fella, good luck with the job… you’ll be reight for bread now as well :wink:

Well done on getting the job mate, i’m still trying to find one.
I know what you mean about hating the truck you started training in, but by the end you loved it…i miss mine now coz i ain’t got any job sob sob.
Here’s the one i trained in, sorry if the pics too big.

Sorry to hear about you not having a job rookie trucker, I signed on with a few agencies and was told about the bakery job by one of the blokes there and also my mate a brickie was doing some work at the bakery and he knew I passed earlier in the week and asked for a job for me and they told him to tell me to call in.
Hope you find work mate you got the licence pity not to use it .
Good luck :slight_smile: