Questin from newbie

Hello,

I have passed my class 2 licence 2 months ago and since I can’t find any job. I have done 2 working days. If I will pass class 1 straight away will this help to find Class 1/2 job? One guy in agency told me that Class 2 is 15% buisness and class 1 is 85%… is this mean that if Iam class 1 without experience at all I will find job faster than on Class 2 without experience? I am just thinking if this will help or only put me into financial risk :slight_smile: Can someone give me idea what should I do? I have to start somewhere. I am applying every day for all jobs and nothing coming back at all. I have seen some youtube driver they are all saying they did start without experience etc. but I can’t… I understand it is not too busy or agency just tellin me BS? What if I’ll do this class 1?

Thanks for any comments :slight_smile:

BS is a agency thing. Where abouts in the country are you?

I found that being a newbie at such quiet time of year ment that agencies have plenty of experienced drivers who will be placed in jobs before they’d even think of phoning me. I passed my class 1 on the 29th January having done my class 2 the month before & managed to land a full time job last week. The day I passed I sent emails out to local companies (not just the ones advertising & used Google maps to search transport companies within 25 miles of my home address) with my CV and a cover letter. The firm who have taken me on initially said they only had class 2 jobs but they’d keep my details should any class 1 positions become available. As luck would have it I got an email last week asking me to come for an interview and driving assessment, got offered the job same day.

I know I’ve been really lucky landing this job but it goes to show that emailing firms can work aswell.

Good luck on the job hunt!!

I am living in North West. I have signed to around 8 local agencies up to 30 miles away. I am sending CV’s to every company. They are all saying that they will call me back but unfortunately no response from anyone. Today I went to another agency they said there’s a job but first thing they have done is gave me details of NOVA accounters so I was scared to sign into it (Ltd. company) and walkaway without job as well. I am keep trying. Most of agensies keep saying it will pick up at march so companys won’t look that much on experience. Like another fella said above. There don’t really look into no skill drivers because probably there’s still a lot of experienced out there looking for job? I have been offered work for ASH 2 days ago and I have been so happy to do it but than next day when I phoned to agency it looks like they did forgot about me at all and when I asked again and reminded they promises they said that ASH need experienced drivers so I can’t do it. Is it really bad time of year or it is just hard to find anything?

I am in the North West mate (Warrington). Palmer and Harvey at Haydock give newbies a start.(Class 2 multi drop).

Lots of handballing and it gets on your ■■■■, but a start is a start.

Am in the same position although had good things from one local company, but then they’ve stopped responding - helpful.

Would advise you keep looking and ask to be kept on file even if they’ve not got anything, plus ignore anything on their web site about vacancies as many don’t advertise them all. I went through the YELL directory looking for them and just contacted everyone. Food companies do seem to be a good option as mentioned (even smaller local ones) plus skip companies.

As for Ltd companies - if the agency using NOVA has the initials T L then I would personally avoid like the plague. Lots of jobs in theory, but they are worse than most agencies I’ve heard of on here. From what I’ve seen of NOVA’s offerings, don’t believe anything they say about expenses claims as most are in serious disagreement with HMRC.