Recently passed class1

could anyone give me some advice at getting employment,i have recently passed my class 1 test and want to pursue a new career in driving,everytime i see a job posted,they state two years experience,hows newly passed drivers suppose to get the experience if companys want the two years relevant experience,every new driver has to start from somwhere to gain the experience…i would be grateful for some tips…thanks

I think this is the old ‘chicken & egg’ situation again!! no job = no experience ; no experience = no job!!

The best option would be to do some agency work. There are quite a few drivers who prefer agency work for a variety of reasons but as with most things, there are good & bad points.

I’ve also known of companies who try to ‘poach’ agency drivers that they have been happy with; it’s often a ‘dodgy’ one as some agencies want an ‘introduction fee’ which can be lots!!

Hi Mickyfive

I agree with Marcustandy, get yourself registered with a few agencys, that is a way of getting experience. The only thing is that agency work is going to be a bit quiet now for a couple of months. (as you will see from some of the other threads)

I’m similar to you having just passed my test (class2)

I was advised on here to get the yellow pages out and contact all the transport companies in there, Don’t forget parcel companies either (night trunking)
I did just that on Tuesday when they all opened up after Xmas and got myself a start for Monday. :smiley:

If your feeling braver than me, put your kit in the car and go and see them in person. “Got me kit with me I can start now!!!”

hope this helps you.

Oh by the way, Welcome to trucknet

Welcome to Trucknet mickyfive :slight_smile: . Also agree sign up
with agencies and try phoneing some companies.

Good luck :slight_smile: .

Hi Micky5 and welcome to the madhouse that is TrucknetUK :wink: . As well as the above, it may be worth ringing the ads that state two years/turning up at the sights for a chingwag, it’s suprising how different it is when you turn up in person, rather than being a voice on the other end of the 'phone :wink:. Having said that, the guys who’ve had it cushty on agency for the past few months will all be looking for jobs now as it’s as dead as a dodo round here (Leicester) on agency work . What Sniper means (I think) is by all means look for a day run, but tell them you’ll do nights out and take a change of clothes for the week, cooking instruments, (small stove), food (some you can eat cold), teamaking kit and 12/24 volt telly if you’ve got one reading material etc with you. You might just find someon’s driver’s 'phoned in sick on a Monday morning and you’ve got a week of nights out (living in the cab so be prepared). I was lucky when I passed. The firm I was with gave me a chance on the artics rather than loose me to another one :wink: .

Hi Mickyfive welcome to Trucknet.
Having only recently passed class 1 myself the best bit of advice i can offer is to go round the local haulage firms, they are the ones most likely to give you a go, smaller firms are probably the best. I got a start with a local firm after a tip from my sister, one of her friends works for them & she asked if they wanted drivers gave me there phone number when i rang they were expecting my call & asked me to go see them, up to now they have been ok with me, had first day out with one of there drivers & rest of this week on my own & next week or so doing local work going on to nights out when i feel ok with it all.

Mick

Whereabouts you livin Micky5?
Depends on where you live and what type of work you want to do?I found it very hard to get a start,as like you say everyone seems to wants 2 years experience.
I passed my class 2 december 2003 and my class 1 last March and it took me until September to be offered a decent job that I was happy with.I have never driven a Rigid in my life (apart from on training)and I was taken on driving class 1 container work,and I love it :slight_smile:
But I tramp all week and go home weekends,which suits me,but does nt suit everybody.
There are companies who will take on newbies,you just have to go down the motorways,look at the trucks,and phone some of the companies you see up :wink: :wink:

hi Micky5 if you live anywhere near a Morrisons depot they’ll take you on- ours at Northampton will almost certainly take you on subject to an interview and assessment drive (ie can you drive in a straight line and not bounce off kerbs).