What do u guys think

hi everyone i passed my theory test 2 weeks ago. i work in a factory 5 nights a week and take home 250 a week after tax .im currentley having two 2 hour lessons a week .i like driving and hate working in a factory which is why i am doing my class 2 what is making me think ive started to get into the wrong career is a couple of drivers at my place of work saying dont do it the jobs crap the moneys crap surley they are on the same money as me and there working days :question:

'Orses for courses! You either love it or hate it.

thanks for your reply harry what im trying to say is its got to be better than working in a factory five nights a week it just sounds like these guys are trying to put me off all i want to know is can i make 250 a week after tax driving a class two on days without having to do 20 drops a day? :question:

Well I can’t say about the cash situaution as it’s not my area but there will always be plenty of ‘experts’ out there with their take on a situation. Take some time to read through some of the posts on here an you will find tons of useful knowledge and an insight into just about every aspect of this industry. Whether it’s money, best places to stop or ways to make the job easier it’s all here somewhere.

If you are in a dead end job with no route out, then this could be a good move as there is plenty of variety to be had, one driver’s job can be completely different from another.

You may struggle to get a job to start with, but it’s not impossible. It just means that you might have to do the 20+ drops in a day or early starts or whatever just to get started. Don’t knock it as it’s a good way to learn, delivering to say 20 schools in a decent sized rigid will sharpen up your manouevering skills no end, you’d learn more in a fortnight than six months of trunking.

If you wan’t help just ask, someone here has usually got the answers.

To be honest £250 a week for nights is crap…you will get that easy doing days on vans never mind HGV’s…get your class2 & try to get weekend work to see if you like the driving & this will give you experiance too. As said above every driving job is different & working for an agency you get to see what driving job suits you.

You go for it Cainey. You’ll never look back.

Drivers like nothing more than to moan. It’s what we are best at. :laughing:

I am employed by DHL Exel on domestic general haulage. That means I move anything that will fit into 13.6m long, 4.4m high curtainsider, to anywhere in the UK up to a gross weight of 44 tonnes.

This week I got paid, after National Insurance, income tax, union and pension deductions, £484.69 in the bank for one day of holiday, four days work and one night out.

If you work where I do, you can take home £500 per week for working days Monday-Friday. And still I hear our blokes moan that is not enough. :confused:

You have to put a few hours more in than in most jobs, but I don’t mind because the work is so easy and I genuinely enjoy it.

I’m not suggesting you would get that sort of pay straight after passing your test. You may only be taking home £300 a week for a while till you’ve got a few KMs under your belt, but it gives you an idea of what you can expect in a year or two.

As 8wheels quite rightly points out, transport is a hugely diverse industry, so it isn’t always easy (or relevant) to make direct pay comparisons between different jobs.

Hope this helps and gives you some idea, and Good Luck! :smiley: