Hello From Another Newbie! ........With a slight conundrum!

Hi all
Been checking the site out for a while now and some great advice has been taken :smiley: . Anyway I past my class 1 and 2 back to back in December last year and after much applying and calling around have sort of secured a class 1 job.

The problem is the guy wants me next week to go out with a driver to learn the ropes for no pay! Sort week intensive on the job learning course (I have no problem with)

I have a current job as an Engineering foreman taking home £300 a week. Do I take a week sick risk loosing the engineering job or take the plunge into Driving! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :confused:

Thanks in advance Bensation :smiley:

I personally wouldn’t risk losing a job in pursuit of another that isn’t guaranteed.
You should of booked next week off as holiday,but I suppose that’s a bit late now in hindsight,then you could have seen what the job involves,what the company seem like and whether it’s for you or not.
I’m a very cautious person,but that also has its drawbacks,believe me,but dont be taking the first thing that comes along cause you’re desperate to start driving a truck,only fools rush in as the saying goes. :wink:
It took me 6 months to get a job when passed my class one,i applied everywhere,phoned companies and drove round in the car cold calling,I got a start eventually with a pretty large compnay,but work was PLENTIFUL then.
Just think very carefully before you rush in,£300 is not bad money for an engineering job,I presume you work 8-10 hours a day and get home everynight??(correct me if i’m wrong)
What sort of work are you looking for HGV wise??..day,nights,tramping??
How big is the company that is offering you the position??

Good luck to you whatever you decide,but just think about it properly and realistically. :wink:

why not register with some agencies and do some driving at the weekend this will get you some experience while getting paid at the same time.

Can you not ask company to put the week another time when you have can book the week off your not getting paid so its not like you are putting them out of a driver as you will be with the reg guy :bulb: if u dont ask u dont get !!!

jx

bensation:
Hi all
Been checking the site out for a while now and some great advice has been taken :smiley: . Anyway I past my class 1 and 2 back to back in December last year and after much applying and calling around have sort of secured a class 1 job.

The problem is the guy wants me next week to go out with a driver to learn the ropes for no pay! Sort week intensive on the job learning course (I have no problem with)

I have a current job as an Engineering foreman taking home £300 a week. Do I take a week sick risk loosing the engineering job or take the plunge into Driving! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :confused:

Thanks in advance Bensation :smiley:

I agree with the others, book a week off and do it another time. I don’t think they’re being unreasonable, if you look at it the other way, you’re getting a week of real world training for free.

I don’t think the money you’re earning is anything like what it should be for your position. That’s the reason I’m not a mechanic any more, I’m not prepared to sell my skill and experience for less than I can get driving a truck. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replys guys, I am thinking the same way as you lot are.

But… Well the guy at the trucking firm wants me there pretty sharpish. Due to new contracts and they only run 8 trucks of there own. And nowing how fast jobs are being snapped up at the mo!

Well you see my dylema o and I hate my current job been looking for an out for years!

Well if you take the sickie can u afford to loseya job ?

can you afford to take a cut in wages or are you as said earlier if its a full time job this guy is offering with overtime etc you may well bring home more than 300 a week

if its job satisfaction you want then sometimes its worth more than the pennies in ya pocket at end of week :slight_smile:

good luck whatever you decide

Jen x

bensation:
Thanks for the replys guys, I am thinking the same way as you lot are.

But… Well the guy at the trucking firm wants me there pretty sharpish. Due to new contracts and they only run 8 trucks of there own. And nowing how fast jobs are being snapped up at the mo!

Well you see my dylema o and I hate my current job been looking for an out for years!

I know how you feel, was in a similar position a few weeks ago. If you’re that up for it, which by the sound of it you are (good man!) then go for it. My gut feeling is, you’ll regret it if you don’t.

If you need any advice on any aspect of the job there are loads of nice and helpful people who use this site. :slight_smile:

there is a massive debate about lowering yourself far enough to work for nowt, like any silly bugger can do that, you could go with a mate who owns a lorry on a weekend for that sort of experience and he may even buy you a breakfast.

Your job description sounds like you are foreman by name only, what do your underlings earn?

I would definitely be looking at another job but will not work for nothing, especially if he turns round and says next week, “sorry mate, you are not suitable.”

Thanks again, Is the grass greener I dont have a clue! All I know is after I passed both my tests I had not felt that good about anything career wise for maybe 10 years or more. So its not all about the doe its about being happy :smiley:

O and his guys offering upto 4 nights out and every other so money is more anyway. ( I think this all depends on him giving me ago rather than the other way around)

bensation:
So its not all about the doe its about being happy :smiley:

Oh deer - was that a spelling error :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry, could not resist :blush:

So finally have something to update this thread with, Went for A chat with this firm offering me work and the chap said I can work weekends.
Now I thought lovely I can keep my current job and gain experience all good…But now I am in doubt again :unamused: Can I work a 45 hours a week no driving involved and then drive up to 18 hours on the weekend plus 3 or 4 hours waiting/Other work?

I mean Legally, Not physically/Mentally :confused:

If you do any hgv work you have to take into account your other job and log it , so you would only be able to 1 day every other week to keep yourself legal ,

Jx

if you week day work does not involve driving then you only need to worry about the total hours working. If your not getting paid then officially you could claim training and that would take you out of the 48 hour shizzle. And your looking to do about 3 weekends then jack and go permanent anyway.

I should add that the guy wants me to go out to shadow another driver for 2 days free. And then paid from then on, On my own.

Cheers for the info so far! :slight_smile:

Sounds like a good result to me. :grimacing: :grimacing: