What cpc courses would you do

Started a new thread as its a slightly differnt topic to yesterdays but feel free to join it if mods feel it should be.
As said yesterday i have a chance of doing 5 moduels for free.

I want to do the tacho hours/operation one as i sometimes struggle with working time breaks. Another good one for me might be how to secure a load properly as in the past i have only had the option of side rails to strap to and the palets have been too low.

any other suggestions for a relative newbie?

Defensive driving is a good one and so is anything to do with Roadcraft.
Making sure you know the Highway Code or there used to be a specific book for lorries which was extremely helpful.
A real good way to improve your driving.

Load securing is a very important topic.
I have had a couple of courses addressing it but one was average, and tother one was poor. In my experience the DCPC courses arent that helpful.
It does need more hands on experience than you`ll get in a classroom with a dozen or more others, or on-line. .

None if I wasn’t made to , to keep my job. :imp:

I would go for a fairly involved first aid module as we could easily be first on the scene, some tacho and hours stuff , courteous driving and fuel efficiency. Load security relevant to what you are likely to do.

There really isn’t much choice. Most providers have the same basic modules, usually just with different presentation. You’re normally looking at:
Load security
Tacho use
Drivers hours and WTD
First aid
Health and safety
Vehicle checks and defects
Manual handling
Defensive and fuel efficient driving (all as 3.5 hour modules).
Vulnerable road users (7 hour module)
Also, enquire with the people providing the free training if they do these modules, because if you’ve already done them, your hours may not be uploaded due to the change in regulations stating you cannot repeat the same module within the same 5 year period, otherwise you might end up sitting through 3 days worth of CPC for literally nothing. (Before anyone says, yes, you can repeat modules within the same 5 years if it is deemed you have good reason to be doing so, but no, the course being free is not counted as good reason)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Terry Cooksey:
Load security
Tacho use
Drivers hours and WTD
First aid
Health and safety
Manual handling

Pretty much what I do every time with the addition of winter/adverse weather driving. The First Aid one I do at the training provider I go to is a local ambulance service paramedic and the winter driving course is done by a snow plough driver. Training provider is the commercial arm of a college and it shows. The lowest cost free one the agency provided you just sit there listening to a bloke who should go do something else for a living.

Conor:

Terry Cooksey:
Load security
Tacho use
Drivers hours and WTD
First aid
Health and safety
Manual handling

Pretty much what I do every time with the addition of winter/adverse weather driving. The First Aid one I do at the training provider I go to is a local ambulance service paramedic and the winter driving course is done by a snow plough driver. Training provider is the commercial arm of a college and it shows. The lowest cost free one the agency provided you just sit there listening to a bloke who should go do something else for a living.

I can understand a paramedic doing basic first aid but the average snow plough driver wouldn’t have a clue about training drivers in winter driving?

Just want to also say some of the dcpc courses are worth listening to. Saying that I have only experienced it through two different companies. First one was excellent with a lot of hands on.(defensive driving included) Second one was at best average but some good points made for some who were not very well informed at all.

Something which involved a lorry rather than a classroom would be a good start.

Be good idea of on tacho course they brought an actuall tacho in shown you how it works. Or better still show a video of the basics of how to insert a card change modes how read the display etc.
Would be good for a new starter who’s never used one before
Instead of the fella going on about hours and breaks n driving limits etc
Is a lot to take in for a new pass just hearing facts and.numbers etc.

robroy:

i tend to agree for experienced drivers it does seem a little like a tick box exersise. However for newbies that have never seen the inside of a lorry i assume its a lot more helpful than the silly initial cpc thing i did for my test. As someone said how to use a tacho would of been usefull for example.

I guess the way i look at it its loike when my mother used to ask if i wanted my bath before or after dinner i was still having a bath but i could make the most of the rest of my evening.

cooper1203:

robroy:

i tend to agree for experienced drivers it does seem a little like a tick box exersise. However for newbies that have never seen the inside of a lorry i assume its a lot more helpful than the silly initial cpc thing i did for my test. As someone said how to use a tacho would of been usefull for example.

I guess the way i look at it its loike when my mother used to ask if i wanted my bath before or after dinner i was still having a bath but i could make the most of the rest of my evening.

No, in my experience, the quality was so poor that I learnt very little. So as a newbie but entitled to the 35 hrs route, I would say change it rather than scrap it though.

The shortest one

Oh I mean, the hours one. 5 times.

Evolved:
The shortest one

Oh I mean, the hours one. 5 times.

The rules have changed, thats not permitted any more.

none .If I changed jobs ie mixer driver to car transporter or some other transport driver job I would like an hour to show a few things …ha ha mixer driver I would sooner go to the moon :laughing:

1st aid.
Accident management.