Securing loads...

Hi Folks!

Happy new year to you all. Well, the good news is, I passed my Class C just before Christmas first time, and today I passed my Mod 4.

I’m guessing all I need to do now is get my digicard, and then look for some work at last.

I was just wondering though…I don’t know what I expected from the Mod 4, but I thought it would be a lot more comprehensive regarding securing loads. Also I didn’t even get a load securing question in the mod 4. So I am left feeling rather under-prepared for any real life scenarios.

Should I do my 35 hours of CPC training before I look into jobs, or just jump in the deep end and ask for help when I need it?

Obviously I don’t even know what kind of job I’ll end up with as yet. But I’d like to feel like I have more of a comprehensive understanding of one of the most fundamental areas of expertise required by a professional driver.

Cheers in advance all :slight_smile:
Gary.

I like you passed mod 4 today and didn’t get any question on securing loads either… :open_mouth:

I’ve been shown how to do straps, chains and the dolly knot, but don’t feel like I could go straight into a job knowing exactly what to do. Same with equations for placing the load over axle’s etc.

I know its not the same

youtube.com/results?search_q … y-OlM-ClTA

Some of the Videos on here may help, some people find reading not as informative as watching someone doing the job. there are loads of different ways in securing loads on a variety of trailers. you will also find the use of fridges etc there

Oh that’s cool. Congrats on doing your Mod 4 DJC…and thank you for the link Nick, I will check it out. Do they actually go through it all when you do your 35 hours of CPC training? I would hope a lot of it would be practical and not just sitting in a classroom…

gizzlechops:
Oh that’s cool. Congrats on doing your Mod 4 DJC…and thank you for the link Nick, I will check it out. Do they actually go through it all when you do your 35 hours of CPC training? I would hope a lot of it would be practical and not just sitting in a classroom…

Dunno fella I’ve been driving 30 + years doing all sorts rope + sheet fridge dry box tippers containers tilts abnormal loads etc I was lucky the company I first worked for was a small family concern and the old Man (Boss) taught me tons and as you work you progress.
You could always have a look for a small local haulier and as if you could spend a day with a driver as a mate learning a few things

My dad told me that most of the learning is done on the job and it is. Yeah he taught me a lot but where did he get his knowledge from? they didn’t have a CPC 20 years ago. He told me if you don’t known how ask how and thats what he did just ask other drivers and im sure they will help you out.

Thanks again Nick, and cheers Ian. You have confirmed my thoughts, but it’s nice to know not to be too worried about being unsure. I have always been a believer that the only way to learn is to DO and not just to be TOLD. The only way.

Really nice to have a place like this to come for advices.

Take it easy
Gary :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your passes :slight_smile: :slight_smile:, if ever your not sure of what or how to do something, ask, better that than have a mishap!