What a mess up of a reverse on test. (waggon and drag)

Hi All.
I would like to tell you about the complete mess I made of my reversing exercise.
The examiner waved me forward, I was close to the cones on my left all ok. I stopped. My instructor had said in training one turn right, slowly backwards I see the tape on the trailer and start turning the wheel left hand down(in training I had turned the wheel to slowly and the trailer had gone miles to much to the left) this time I had turned it left hand down it to quickly. Where’s the trailer; almost touching the B cone. How the hell!!!. Nothing for it ,first shunt. I put it back at the start. Start again and blow me exactly the same thing has happened. This time I tried in vain to get the trailer away from the B cone. I thought if I touch the cone I fail use the second shunt. Put the lorry back at the start (well almost) back we go, right hand down see the tape left hand down where’s the trailer exactly where it should be at last. Now I thinking no more shunts left, must get it in the box.Across the test area left hand down It goes in almost straight. Thursday was very hot and even hotter in the cab.
My instructor stood and wached with several other instructors, they all went off saying he will never get that in fancy a tea. My instructor stayed and said "I new you would get it in."As he had seen previous cockup attempts eventually go in.
The moral to this ■■■■ up I made is When you are on test DON’T GIVE UP.
The rest of my test went OK ish I got 3 minuses.

Well done for keeping your cool :smiley: :smiley:

I would be interested to know how you get on with your first artic when you finally get a CE job.
The general recommendation from most on this site is to train in the type of truck that you will be using.
I know you did not have an option as you went with Stirling.

Well done, just goes to show don’t panic and dwell on it, carry on it might not be as bad as you think.

VERY WELL DONE!‘:D’‘:D’
Stu

ROG:
Well done for keeping your cool :smiley: :smiley:

Seconded :wink: :laughing:

The general recommendation from most on this site is to train in the type of truck that you will be using.

I would be amazed if any professional would disagree with that sentiment. Only goes to prove the ineptitude of those who set vehicle tests. :smiling_imp:

it just shows eh, u did good m8 :smiley:

Spardo:

I would be amazed if any professional would disagree with that sentiment. Only goes to prove the ineptitude of those who set vehicle tests. :smiling_imp:

I must admit that I was surprised that they allowed a W&D to be allowed for C+E when the majority will drive CE ARTIC for a job.

Personally, I would like to see W&D banned for the C+E test.

ROG:

Spardo:

I must admit that I was surprised that they allowed a W&D to be allowed for C+E when the majority will drive CE ARTIC for a job.

Banned? I’m sure it’s useful if you only ever drive W&Ds.

An able-bodied person cannot take a motorcycle test with a sidecar fitted, even if they have no intention of riding solos. They have to take a solo test. Two vehicles which are similar, but behave rather differently. Rare situation? Yes, but I don’t think it should have been banned.

I think for test purposes they are similar enough to be considered one. On the other hand I don’t think a bendy bus (with it’s non-detachable rear end) should be classed as D and not DE.

macplaxton:

ROG:

Spardo:

Banned? I’m sure it’s useful if you only ever drive W&Ds.

An able-bodied person cannot take a motorcycle test with a sidecar fitted, even if they have no intention of riding solos. They have to take a solo test. Two vehicles which are similar, but behave rather differently. Rare situation? Yes, but I don’t think it should have been banned.

I think for test purposes they are similar enough to be considered one. On the other hand I don’t think a bendy bus (with it’s non-detachable rear end) should be classed as D and not DE.

Strange one that, when I first got my D I was told I couldnt drive a bendy bus, though was later told that I could as most of them nowadays have the engine in the rear and none of them could be used as they are all one unit… ie there would be no way to keep those polite, nice appreciative public in the back of the front section without the rear section, though some journeys could be made interesting like this!!! All very strange to think that it really is a bus and trailer.
Not that I am bothered these days as now I have my CE it automatically gave me DE, better still I have little intention of having to drive busses again in the near future!

If you train on an artic then you will probably find it OK if you ever get to drive a W&D but if you train on a W&D then you may struggle a little when first taking out an artic.
i trained on Artics and panicked when first faced with a Wagon and Drag but got used to it within minutes - apasrt from the obvious differences.
Artics are easier because you can bend them in half but you would never get away with doing that with a W&D.
Both have their hard bits and their easy bits.
As for banning them from tests I would not go that far.
We use artics as training vehicles as we find them a more realistic vehicle and we do believe it gives the newbies a better feel for the job for the future and also gives them a better chance of getting a job if they say they are trained on artics, but some companies use W&D as they are of course cheaper to run than keeping up two seperate vehicles.

Mothertrucker:
If you train on an artic then you will probably find it OK if you ever get to drive a W&D .

Not if it is the A-Frame traditionnel type, the 2 are totally different in principle and operation with different skills required. In my opinion you should always be required to pass a seperate test for such vehicles.
Now the caravan centre axles are artics, albeit with short wheelbase trailers, and the training and test should reflect that.

Anyone guess what the percentages are for those driving W&Ds against those for artics :question: :question:

I’m guessing that 95% of CE drivers are in artics with 5% in W&Ds…

If we could get this figure then it could be compared with what vehicles training companies use to teach CE and see if the percentages are the same :bulb: :bulb: :question:

Not if it is the A-Frame traditionnel type, the 2 are totally different in principle and operation with different skills required. In my opinion you should always be required to pass a seperate test for such vehicles.

Oh yes, agreed! Totally different animal altogether.

Now the caravan centre axles are artics, albeit with short wheelbase trailers, and the training and test should reflect that.

Centre axles for caravans (as on some drag trailers) but Artic axles on the rear - so in my opinion once again a different animal.
(Quick little devils too :open_mouth: )

Mothertrucker:

Oh yes, agreed! Totally different animal altogether.

Centre axles for caravans (as on some drag trailers) but Artic axles on the rear - so in my opinion once again a different animal.
(Quick little devils too :open_mouth: )

In general and in real life again, a modern close coupled “drawbar” has an axle suspended near the centre of the trailer, (like a caravan)… very similar to an artic where the axles are suspended rear of centre.

I looked around and found 4 totally different animals. Thanks to Commercial Motor and Chris Hodge for the images.

A

B

C

D

While A & B have very similar handling characteristics. C is more difficult and D which is probably common for training with possibly a shorter trailer has such a different pivot point that the rear swing is cut down.

D will also give a much slower and easier response in a reversing exercise.

Most artic training vehicles similar to this set up nowadays :smiley: :smiley:

ROG:

Similar possibly, but that extra little bit makes a big lot of difference. :stuck_out_tongue:

Trailer Length: 12.2m (40’) and 13.6m (45’)

There are still a lot of 40’ trailers around.

Wheel Nut:

ROG:

Similar possibly, but that extra little bit makes a big lot of difference. :stuck_out_tongue:

Trailer Length: 12.2m (40’) and 13.6m (45’)

There are still a lot of 40’ trailers around.

That’s true - at my last place I used a 40 to start but then the newer one was a 45 - total length of set up was 16.5 metres - DSA test length maximum :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: u star- well done!
Everyones favourite- the reverse :unamused:
w+d is totally different from an artic-brother did w+d and advised me to test in what i wanted 2 drive. I then tested and passed in 45’ artic- the joys of that reverse and ever patient instructor :laughing:
Enjoy and well done u

i have to say i learnt in a wag and drag and i wish i had learnt in a proper arctic.

first c+e job i had it took me bloody ages to get the coupling procedure done and i really didnt want to mess it up ad make a ■■■■ out of myself haha

at the end of the day when you are looking for training companies it might be an idea to find out what vehicle they use before booking your training.

i was always told be my instructor that wag and drag behave exactly the same as arctic on reverse but thats a crock of shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!

iceroadrucker:
i have to say i learnt in a wag and drag and i wish i had learnt in a proper arctic.

first c+e job i had it took me bloody ages to get the coupling procedure done and i really didnt want to mess it up ad make a ■■■■ out of myself haha

at the end of the day when you are looking for training companies it might be an idea to find out what vehicle they use before booking your training.

i was always told be my instructor that wag and drag behave exactly the same as arctic on reverse but thats a crock of shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!

Can you expand on this - what was the differences you found with the on-the-road driving :question: :question: