Reversing practice/tuition (post test)

I have recently passed my C+E. Obviously in the real world you dont reverse around cones into a make believe garage. I am currently doing agency work every so often so not getting much practice. Also Im crap at it.
Anyone have any pointers or any footage. Or know of a reasonably priced scool in the North West area that will do extra (real life style) tuition. :neutral_face:

The advice I got from an old sweat was get a job shunting. You’ll be forced to get good at it, and after a few months of that, you’ll be much better at reversing than (some) drivers who’ve been working 20-30 years.

Just what I got told to do when I pass.

Sounds like the old solution to learning to swim that html…
Chuck em in the deep end and it’s in their interest to learn… quickly :open_mouth:

Have to say reversing is the thing that ‘concerns’ me the most about playing around in the Big Boys.
But I also know that most other people were also probably pretty pooh to start with - and if you don’t just give it a go (all be it taking your time and being safe) then you will make zero progress.
I love the idea of doing some shunting for that particular experience, but am not sure if I would ever recover from watching the gaffer wet himself repeatedly after I asked for a job with no experience.

Jon

It will come with experience hun.

After 10 years I have numerous problems with midi rear steer trailers.

Yesterday I was still trying to get the rear wheel in the right position to get between two trailers.

Trouble is a rear steer only comes to me once in every 6/8 weeks.

I find the longer the better.

Not the same but try this game (that rhymes :laughing: )
marops.net/portfolio/trailer-reversing-game

I have the same problem and also went for a shutting job but those guys have a deadline and no time for you to practise. I suggest that you try on a van with a trailer to start or your father in law caravan ( watch him sweating nervously is fun)
Yes it’s not an artic but the principle is the same left is right and right is left etc.
Easier on a draw bar! Big companies like Stobarts, Gregory’s etc have training schools, no shame in learning !
Good luck

I’m not North West but in York, we use a local transport yard with loading bays to offer exactly this sort of practice with attics, however I guess its too far to travel.

Most drivers just figure out reversing on the job, but be prepared to use your head and figure out what is happening and you should get competent.

Couldn’t you sleep last night laurie lol! :wink: