Class 1 Reverse

Hi all,
Having another attempt at my Class 1 reverse on test this week! Completely messed it up on my 1st test after not feeling comfortable with it during the week training. I’m having a days training before test do just hope it all comes together. Any hints? I’m in a full artic not wagon and drag.
Many thanks.

I was the same as you!! pain to sink in reverse!! don’t be a @#!? And take a shunt passed mine luckily… Still can’t reverse proper [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Yeah, so different to Class 2 isn’t it?! Picked that up straight away but this is wrecking my head!

I did 2 hours in the yard at Atkins practicing the reverse on test day and then went on the test. I felt I had not got position but instead of ploughing on and failing my test I used one of the two shunt forwards you get and it is a good job I did because the blind side trailer wheel was lined up to knock the cone over! So if in doubt use those shunt forwards you really don’t need to get TOP marks but only pass your test. :smiley:

Cheers Alder, mate took too shunts and only got another 2 minors so you’re right, it’s just about passing.

Completely messed it up on my 1st test

Give us a bit more information about how/why it got messed up and I may be able to help.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

As Pete mentions, give us a bit more to go on… so exactly which part are you struggling with?

I have to say I thought the Class 1 reverse might be a p.i.t.a., but if you break it down into a few parts then it isn’t that bad.
And as others have said, if in any doubt take that shunt - but do that in a ‘smart’ way and make sure you end up straight with no kinks and somewhere in line with the ‘bay’ and you should be golden.

As for those component parts, at it’s simplest I count 3:

• the initial full right-hand lock
  • the point on the headboard (or header is it?) you see in your right-hand mirror when you should know when to quickly, but smoothly apply opposite lock (being careful not to put the driver’s side of your cab over the yellow line)
  • then depending on how quickly or slowly you took off that initial right-hand lock you will either be ‘inside’ or ‘outside’ the middle cone with a pole. If you see it then you are on the correct path and just need to add in touches of left-hand lock, remove and straighten up cab and trailer and see where you are. Keep adding left hand aiming for just inside that first ‘bay’ cone and when it comes to knowing how far back to go, well you should know your school’s ahem ‘method’ :smiley:

GL,
Jon

Thanks so much for your help guys, much appreciated. I’m fine with the right lock, left lock and then running the unit parallel with the line (as trailer swings towards ‘garage’). From that point on I tend to struggle.
Tell me if I’m wrong, I’m looking out for cone B before I apply slight left hand down steering so unit and trailer and running together straight towards ‘Garage’. Then more left hand down as I straighten up towards finish?
Many thanks.

It sounds like all your problems are behind you.

Haha nice pun! :laughing:

Its quite difficult to describe via text, I’m not sure how I do it!

Come on Radar, texting is easy.

eagerbeaver:
Come on Radar, texting is easy.

I know that, describing how I do it is not!

Haha. I am in a disruptive mood!!

I’m looking out for cone B before I apply slight left hand down steering so unit and trailer and running together straight towards ‘Garage’. Then more left hand down as I straighten up towards finish?

You’re certainly not far out with the description. Remember that the trailer angle will vary according to how much and how quickly you steered coming away from the line. Keep the left on when leaving the line until the whole combination is in a straight line. You will now need varying amounts of left hand down to coax the trailer into the garage. Try to get the trailer wheels close to the entrance cone of the garage. Don’t let a huge angle develop between trailer and unit. If in doubt, steer in the direction the trailer is heading. That will reduce the bend and eventually get the whole lot straight.

Once the back of the trailer is approaching the garage, consider a mega shunt if it’s not going to go in easily. This “mega shunt” will take you over to your left as far as possible. Keep going until you’re in a line with the top, start cones. By now, the truck should be pretty well straight and all you have to do is shove it back into the garage.

Steering movements in reverse are always gentle.

Really hard to describe and even harder to do until you get used to it.

Take your time and make any shunt worth having.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks very much Pete, great advice as always.

i been watching youtube.com/watch?v=XktCX7YHtYQ to try get a idea on this.

Strange as it sounds, I practiced in my living room walking backwards and going through the steps. Oh, don’t forget your observations.

Were you loaded or unloaded? Also why didn’t you use the kitchen, I’m sure that would have been more of a challenge.

eagerbeaver:
Were you loaded or unloaded? Also why didn’t you use the kitchen, I’m sure that would have been more of a challenge.

I had 8 bottles of water in a rucksack, does that count as loaded? And as for using the kitchen, come on man, I was still learning!