c+e reversing

So did a days training today as my tests on tuesday. Everythings good driving ways. Had couple goes at reversing today and had take shunt forward. Not as easy as i though. Got it first and 2nd time but was putting to much lock on. Bit worried bout this one :blush:

davy1111:
So did a days training today as my tests on tuesday. Everythings good driving ways. Had couple goes at reversing today and had take shunt forward. Not as easy as i though. Got it first and 2nd time but was putting to much lock on. Bit worried bout this one :blush:

You did it within test requirements so whats the problem?

I know but somtimes i was turning to much. Forget somtimes which way ive to turn the wheel. Trainer say i did good and well practise until its pertfect tomorrow

Try to clear your mind on your test & don’t put too much pressure on yourself!! I failed my reverse twice as I took 3 shunts & on the 3rd attempt I didn’t care a ■■■■ & managed to get it done!!

I really sympathise with you cos I had the same problem 40 years ago. In fact, I fluked it on test and it took me another 2 years to master it.

The solution is simple and you’ve already said what the problems are.

Turning too much - not being sarcastic, but try turning less and don’t panic

Turning the wrong way - you’re not being very original! At this stage, ignore all the clever ways of remembering which way to turn. Just turn “a bit” and watch what’s happening. If it starts going the wrong way, undo what you’ve just done and turn the other way - - but not too far.

There is a science and an art to reversing trailers. Don’t get annoyed if it doesn’t go to plan.

If you need a shunt, make it a good’un.

Follow the above and you’ll be fine.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

davy1111:
I know but somtimes i was turning to much. Forget somtimes which way ive to turn the wheel. Trainer say i did good and well practise until its pertfect tomorrow

There you go - come back after that training session and tell us how you did

Dont over think the reversing take it easy dont rush the faster you reverse the less chance you have of catching it if it starts to go the wrong way.

Usually out in an artic work sent me out in a rigid today tried to reverse off a side road reversed as if I was in an artic must have looked a right nana lol :smiley:

Thanks all you guys. Think tomorrow is mainly the reverseing. It sort of confuses me bit turning steering right makes the trailer go left. And turning steering left makes trailer go right. Think you guys know what i mean. Easy said than done in cab. I got it twice 1st time trying today but that was listening to my trainer who is fantastic orginal from uk. Brillant trainer. He told me not to worry if its takes all day tomorrow ill get it :smiley:

You will find that it will just drop into place all at once, little is more when reversing, anyone that says he hasn’t cocked up reversing an artic is a liar, we have all done it. Good luck.

Cheers brados mate for advice. Hope nail it today :smiley:

No fault if you hold it on the footbrake for a couple of seconds while you think what to do next - its not a race

Examiners want thinking drivers not those who rush without thinking

Good luck with your reversing today, think little tweaks not massive turns

Spend all day and cant just nail it all the time. Have my test tomorrow and bricking it

Hi mate, as others have said, take it slow, real slow that way you have time to react to what the trailer is doing. I took my test in a wagon n drag, and I always remember my instructor saying “left to bend it, right to mend it”, when on the final approach to the stripey board bit, worked a treat for me. Good luck!

Thanxs jacksy apprecated mate :smiley:

Lol not the first to use that one and I’m certain not the last :slight_smile:

Good luck today Davy

Well guys did my c+e test and failed with 7 minors. 3 shunts for reverse. The examiner is very fair to be honst. Didnt mark me for 3 rd shunt. Couplen up i thought it was locked in took 2 shunts forward and it seemed locked in. So got out and chain would nt go in the hole. So took it back out lined up properly again. Due to rain i had to get out and wipe both mirrors. So on the drive Examiner asks me to pull over long side of a busy main road. Guy walks rite in front of the lorry i see him. So carry on checking my left mirrors check right blind spot. Then the same guy goes to walk in front of passanger side of lorry again. So that was dangerous 1, so came home phoned training company for retest. Ahh well have too just crack on :smiley:

Aww mate that’s ■■■ sorry to hear that

Not worry mate got it this thursday again :smiley: