Wetherby Services Rip-Off Shocker!

Some excellent replies there chaps and chapettes.

The point I was making is that the place is still under construction and the main services building is not open yet. The fuel station is open for business and has minimal facilities…2 male bogs. Both are of the seatless metal persuasion (like they have in police cells and Mr Vain’s wagon :wink:) and were covered in ■■■■ (which was nice). There are 2 small metal basins (not big enough for a proper wash and shave) and a hand drying thing called an “airblade”. I wasn’t sure if sticking my hands in this was a good idea, didn’t know if they’d still be attached to my arms when I brought them out! :wink: but it is actually quite effective.

For 16 quid, I got knack-all except to park the wagon for 9 hours and 5 minutes. No shower, a long walk to use the toilet (as described above) and absolutely bugger all else. 16 bloody quid is a lot of money for simply parking a wagon don’t cha think?

It’s laybys or truck stops for me in future.

Wetherby didn’t even have any 2nd rate tarts knocking on the cab door at 2 in the morning…most disappointing.

I got a similar shock last week. I had an urgent load for Gateshead so needed to get out of France. I managed Ashford, which surprisingly was full, so ended up going back south to the new M20 services. £20 quid for a piece of tarmac and a broken shower :open_mouth: It was after 2200 so the main building was locked and the garage is a 20 minute :wink: walk away.

Disgusting.

greg50:
its not the point.
why should these parking areas charge so much.
i went to the bp or whoever owns it now at rugby on the a5 a while ago.
they wanted £18.

why don’t you buy some land next to a motorway or mail road , tarmac it, build a proper cafe, toilets and showers, employ lots of staff to keep it clean ( remember lorry drivers will chuck litter everywhere and ■■■■ in the lorry park cos they can’t be arsed to walk to the toilets), pay your council an arm & a leg in rates,

then see how much money you can make at a shilling a night parking
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Shrek:
The point I was making is that the place is still under construction and the main services building is not open yet.

Hi Shrek maybe you should think yourself lucky that they only charged you half price. :laughing: :laughing:

The price might be somewhat higher after they’ve completed the building. :grimacing:

After all, that mobile car park that you drive does take up rather a lot of space. :wink:

£14.50 @ Peterborough services last night. At least the 1 shower worked this morning. Whoopeee!!!
Very noisy with some Spanish fridge wagon chugging away all night. How do people sleep attached to those things??
I had ear plugs in & it was still like sleeping next to the fast lane. :open_mouth: Crap night sleep.

keano1:
£14.50 @ Peterborough services last night. At least the 1 shower worked this morning. Whoopeee!!!
Very noisy with some Spanish fridge wagon chugging away all night. How do people sleep attached to those things??
I had ear plugs in & it was still like sleeping next to the fast lane. :open_mouth: Crap night sleep.

Thought about stopping there myself,but decided to carry on to Stibbington,where I managed to quaff steak pie,chips and beans,washed down with a steaming pot of tea,and when I got up this morning,showered in one of the 4 that were available.

As for fridges…

When you work with them,your brain tunes into the noise,and you don’t recognise it.

Ken.

Quinny:

keano1:

Thought about stopping there myself,but decided to carry on to Stibbington,where I managed to quaff steak pie,chips and beans,washed down with a steaming pot of tea,and when I got up this morning,showered in one of the 4 that were available.

As for fridges…

When you work with them,your brain tunes into the noise,and you don’t recognise it.

Ken.

Ah, truckers at stibbington. Had many a good night in there when I was on the steam railway. Just half a mile up from Wansford station for cheap grub and some beer
MMMmmmmmm beer

i have stayed in the old truck park in weatherby town centre that is a fiver for over night but not been for a while.the guy who looked after it at night said once the services is full open they will be shuttign the town parking fully for truckers.
also if i have had a frigde parked next to me or near me and its a vechile from another country i ask him if he is goingto turn the frigde off if they say no then i say people have to sleep and he should but most places ask them to shut it down by 10 pm.but i do know 1 guy who asked a driver to switch his switch off the guy refused and went to bed so when it cut off when it hit the tempature he flip the power switch off so it did stay off all night.but i have heard of some drivers cutting the fuel lines as some of the drivers will not take no for an answer but most are guys from the east bloc who refuse.
personally i think once the frigde is down to its temo u should shut them off as they stay cool enough these days and do not take long to get back down in the mornings.

thunder367:
i have stayed in the old truck park in weatherby town centre that is a fiver for over night but not been for a while.the guy who looked after it at night said once the services is full open they will be shuttign the town parking fully for truckers.
also if i have had a frigde parked next to me or near me and its a vechile from another country i ask him if he is goingto turn the frigde off if they say no then i say people have to sleep and he should but most places ask them to shut it down by 10 pm.but i do know 1 guy who asked a driver to switch his switch off the guy refused and went to bed so when it cut off when it hit the tempature he flip the power switch off so it did stay off all night.but i have heard of some drivers cutting the fuel lines as some of the drivers will not take no for an answer but most are guys from the east bloc who refuse.
personally i think once the frigde is down to its temo u should shut them off as they stay cool enough these days and do not take long to get back down in the mornings.

And what about the fridges with chemicals or pharmaceuticals or those that have a recording monitor fitted. Because of your “friend” who flipped the power switch it probably cost the driver or his company a large claim when the load was refused.

If I saw you switching a fridge off I would report you for criminal damage :open_mouth:

thunder367:
… also if i have had a frigde parked next to me or near me and its a vechile from another country i ask him if he is goingto turn the frigde off if they say no then i say people have to sleep and he should but most places ask them to shut it down by 10 pm.

Why the difference if it’s a vehicle from another country? A fridge is a fridge.

thunder367:
but i do know 1 guy who asked a driver to switch his switch off the guy refused and went to bed so when it cut off when it hit the tempature he flip the power switch off so it did stay off all night.but i have heard of some drivers cutting the fuel lines as some of the drivers will not take no for an answer but most are guys from the east bloc who refuse.

Yep, I’m all right Jack **** you. I wonder how this guy would feel if someone had ruined his load in the middle of the night.

thunder367:

On a cold night in winter you’ve got a fair argument. On even a mild night in spring/ autumn the temp in a fridge will rise quickly - in summer don’t ask.

Agreed they can be a pain when you’re trying to rest next to one, but the purpose of chill trailers is to keep their contents cool.

Stan

7 hours on POA? What the hell was you doing?

4 of those 7 hours on rest and you coulda done a 16 no?

Koop:

NO

Stopped in clacket lane services on m25 for the night only to find out the prices have gone up now £28 to park…does include a £10 meal voucher or £24 without the voucher…I know i dont have to pay these chatges as the company pays but im sure it will only be a matter of time before we wont be allowed to park there..............Well anyway at least ive got loads of meal vouchers for nowt…

Koop:

Well, I had a little sleep, I got up and had lunch, I listened to the radio, I fixed a couple of little things that need doing on the truck. …It put me in mind of the days when I drove round the country with big metal boxes on the trailer :wink:
Don’t think it’d do for me now though…too much time sitting around, it’s not for me.

Koop:

Why bother? I wouldn’t have been thanked for getting back to the yard at 22:30hrs, “nipping” 16 miles home to"nip" back 9 hours later…might as well have more time asleep and get paid £25 for it :wink:

gotta blame you neil i would have done the extra 15 mins to the yard. :smiling_imp:

Noodles:
Stopped in clacket lane services on m25 for the night only to find out the prices have gone up now £28 to park…does include a £10 meal voucher or £24 without the voucher…I know i dont have to pay these chatges as the company pays but im sure it will only be a matter of time before we wont be allowed to park there..............Well anyway at least ive got loads of meal vouchers for nowt…

noticed Taunton Deane prices on Fri - gone up to £18 with a £10 voucher ( from £17 with a £7.00 Voucher)

hmm, better get some new batteries for my calculator :laughing:

Koop:

I take it the April 2007 rule changes went over your head? :smiley:

macplaxton:

Koop:

I take it the April 2007 rule changes went over your head? :smiley:

I tried that one above, but there was no response :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s about time we started complaining on mass, the union won’t do anything, RHA and the like are a waste of time, start with a template and keep firing one off every week to the minister of transport, if enough do it regular it MAY start to ball rolling. who knows we may get somewhere we may not, but it’s no good preaching to the converted.

dieseldog6:
It’s about time we started complaining on mass, the union won’t do anything, RHA and the like are a waste of time, start with a template and keep firing one off every week to the minister of transport, if enough do it regular it MAY start to ball rolling. who knows we may get somewhere we may not, but it’s no good preaching to the converted.

It would be a good way to find out how many wheel clamps CP actually own :stuck_out_tongue: