West Midlands Training

Hi Guys and Gals

I am new to this so pleas treat me gentle

I have just taken my Theory and passed with a view to a change of career (been an engineer for far too long).

Does anyone have any recommendations for training companies in the West Mids/ Staffs area (I live in Lichfield).

I think i have rung everyone and been on a couple of assesments but would love to here anyone elses comments good or bad before i part with my hard earned cash.

Thanks Nick :sunglasses:

George Lovatt in Coleshill has quite a good reputation, and gets a few recommendations.

G

I took my class 2 with Top Gear. Wish I’d never bothered, I passed but the instructor was a waste of time so went to British HGV in Cannock for my class 1.

Top people, really helpful and a good laugh.

i agree about top gear i done my class 2 with them different instructor every day done my head in.

stvme2519:
i agree about top gear i done my class 2 with them different instructor every day done my head in.

That’s not good, I believe you should have the same instructor for your course. You need to build up a rapor with them and you need continuity, so they now what you need extra help on and what you’re good at.

I personally found sharing the cab with another trianee heplful. Watching the other person and listerning to the instructor when you weren’t driving gave you time to get things straight in your own mind before you got back behind the wheel.

Central Transport Training in Wolverhampton.

I did my class 2 with them and they were really helpful, considering I had never driven anything bigger than a transit van prior to the course.

Ian.

I can also recommend British hgv in cannock.

Just did an assessment with West Midlands Transport Training in Aldridge on Saturday and had a really good ride in their artic.

So impressed with the vehicle and the instructor, that I signed up for my class 1.

I can only recommend on what I have seen so far but I am not one to part with my money that easily.

Ian.

I can recommend Bassetts Transport Training at Tittensor (A34 just north of Stone).

Currently doing C+E with Bassetts (test this Friday) having passed class C at first attempt with them in Feb 2006.

Pity you don’t live within ST postcode area as even though already working as a C1 driver, I got full funding for class C and all but £77 of funding for this week’s C+E course from North Staffs Workforce Development Program which is EU funded. NSWDP was originally set up by the Ceramic and Allied Trades Union when many pottery jobs were being lost, but now caters for any workers within the area as and when hard won EU funding allows.

A bit like getting treatment on the NHS, funding for training programs is very much a post code lottery.

PS. Have today passed C+E at 1st attempt and am well pleased, especially as 5 minutes into the test I was almost certain that I was going to fail having left the test centre in the pouring rain with no lights on. I had been so relieved to do a near perfect stop and my best reverse of the week. The examiner asked casually if I thought it would rain all day. I said the forcast said not, but I had better put some lights on and did so promptly. The examiner smirked and we moved onto the gear exercise.

About a mile further on I managed to hit 8th instead of 6th, then skimmed a kerb on a tight left-hander, so I started to relax more thinking not a lot left to lose now.

Back at the test centre, I missed registration number off the list of what info goes onto a tacho chart, and my mind went blank at the start of un-hitching the trailer. On re-coupling, I only remembered to release the trailer brake because the examiner was staring straight at it.

So as we got back into the cab and I prepared myself for a fail, I was gobsmacked when he said I had passed with only 10 minors. I said thanks and told him that I thought that I had blown it miles back, to which he answered that he wasn’t looking for perfection, just a good safe overall drive without any major faults or persistent uncorrected minors.

So thanks again to all at Bassetts especially Ken (C+E) and Graeme and Les (C) for all their patience and persistence (mirrors, mirrors, mirrors) both this week and same week last year.

After a lot of research before i parted with hard earned cash

I have booked my class 2 training with Westgate in Aldridge. I am amazed at the differing lengths of time the courses from companies offer fo nearly the same money.

I think if you are going to train from scratch you need as much practical training as possible to give yourself the maximum chance of passing.

So fingers crossed for 19th March.

Any tips from anyone to maximise my pass chances would be much appreciated.

Nick

Congratulations ChrisBD. Well done on passing first time.
Good luck Nick P. I am sure you will get on well but keep us informed.