Went for my pre lesson Assessment today

Went to the driving school for my assessment today, was great fun.

Need to use my mirrors more, i think i was concentrating too much on the gears and forgetting my mirrors though.

the instructor reckons i need 4 days training plus the test.

One thing i noticed was the wheel was big which felt strange to hold, but the power steering was light as a feather.

Only a six speed box so no splitter to worry about, although i’ll have to get used to going down through the gears rather than block changing. Brakes seemed to have a big dead spot then suddenly work, which is aparently normal for Merc’s, with a bit of practice i should get used to finding the bite point of the brake pedal though.

I even stuck it back in the yard and reversed it back into the parking space with out problems, he didnt even ask me to put it in the space, i just though what the hell!

Best be off to practice with my Hazard perception CD…

Glad it went well! I think all learners (myself included) don’t use their mirrors enough, sounds like a nice bit of reversing though :sunglasses:

Nice one Dennisw1, good luck with the course and test. :smiley:

dennisw1:
although i’ll have to get used to going down through the gears rather than block changing. …

What. :unamused: Have you selected a dinosaur for an Instructor. Block changing, both up and down, is perfectly acceptable, and is featured in the LGV Driving video.

Which raises the question as to where you first learnt Block changing? IAM?

With regard to Hazard Perception, search back and you will find some sound advice as to how to ‘beat’ this “Computer Game”. It has little to do with driving ability and a lot to do with ‘providing the correct response’.

My instructor taught me to brake and then select the right gear.

i.e. approaching a roundabout on a dual carriageway in sixth, brake on approach and then put it straight into second or third, depending on the situation on the roundabout.

Andyroo:
My instructor taught me to brake and then select the right gear.

i.e. approaching a roundabout on a dual carriageway in sixth, brake on approach and then put it straight into second or third, depending on the situation on the roundabout.

Was told the same thing :slight_smile:

Brakes seemed to have a big dead spot then suddenly work, which is aparently normal for Merc’s, with a bit of practice i should get used to finding the bite point of the brake pedal though.

Found that myself last week on training - thought I was about to launch the instructor through the window on the Monday. You get the hang of it though. Would agree with the others - told to brake then select, although I tended to go 6-4-3 when coming down from top gear…

What. Have you selected a dinosaur for an Instructor. Block changing, both up and down, is perfectly acceptable, and is featured in the LGV Driving video.

Not the instructor that found it unacceptable, but the truck :wink:
Stupid thing is i have to go down through all the gears in my car too as that doesnt like it either.

First taught it on my initial driving lessons years ago (in the car)

Just a question of acliamtising to the vehicle i think really, just like driving a different car for the first time. You have to get used to the feel of the brakes and where the clutch bites etc

mrpj:
Glad it went well! I think all learners (myself included) don’t use their mirrors enough, sounds like a nice bit of reversing though :sunglasses:

Cheers mate, i think it’s the case that learners “can’t” use their mirrors enough. :slight_smile:

Well done on the assessment drive and good luck with
the rest of your training dennisw1 :smiley: . Also good luck with
your training Gazzareth :smiley: .

Krankee:
Block changing, both up and down, is perfectly acceptable, and is featured in the LGV Driving video.

I bought the official DSA sylabus book when I was learning and I’m sure in the gearchanging/gearbox section it mentions block-changing and its benefits.

convoy:

Cheers Convoy, passed LGV2 Saturday at Garratts Green - rather amusing since I was sure that I had failed it about 12 times during the test. Hopefully get some experience in for a month or so then look at LGV1 before I pick up too many bad habits.

Well done with the LGV 2 Gazzareth, and good luck with the C+E training, keep us informed.

dennisw1:

What. Have you selected a dinosaur for an Instructor. Block changing, both up and down, is perfectly acceptable, and is featured in the LGV Driving video.

Not the instructor that found it unacceptable, but the truck :wink:
Stupid thing is i have to go down through all the gears in my car too as that doesnt like it either.

First taught it on my initial driving lessons years ago (in the car)

Just a question of acliamtising to the vehicle i think really, just like driving a different car for the first time. You have to get used to the feel of the brakes and where the clutch bites etc

If it were me, I would check out the instructors pass rate :wink:.

Congratulations on the Class 2 Gazza :smiley: .

Congratulations Gazzareth on passing class 2
and good luck with class 1 :smiley:

If it were me, I would check out the instructors pass rate .

What’s the best way to do that? Surely if i just ask him he could say anything?

Well done Gazza, looks like i have some catching up to do :wink:

Gazzareth:

convoy:

Cheers Convoy, passed LGV2 Saturday at Garratts Green - rather amusing since I was sure that I had failed it about 12 times during the test. Hopefully get some experience in for a month or so then look at LGV1 before I pick up too many bad habits.

Well done :smiley: , I took my test there and also thought I’d failed during the test. I took my class 1 soon after my class 2 for the reasons you mention, I think it’s a good idea.

dennisw1:

If it were me, I would check out the instructors pass rate .

What’s the best way to do that? Surely if i just ask him he could say anything?

Well done Gazza, looks like i have some catching up to do :wink:

Ask at the test centre? If he’s DSA registered, I reckon their’s somewhere you can check. I can’t drag anything up out of the memory though, so I’ll have a look and get back to you :wink:.

Wil the block change (car & truck) work better with a little double de-clutching ?