Driving Assessment

Hey guys,

I’ve got a driving assessment tomorrow and am looking forward to it ! Is there anything that I should be aware of ? I’ve driven a bus before but think this will be entirely different.

If anyone has any tips or advice, it would be greatly received!

Thanks

Hi Jamis. It will be just like driving the bus, was it an auto bus you drove? Look in your mirrors before every manoeuvre, gear changes, indication. just listen to your instructor and you wont go wrong.

jamis:
Hey guys,

I’ve got a driving assessment tomorrow and am looking forward to it ! Is there anything that I should be aware of ?

Yes. Remember not to stop at the bus stops. :wink: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers mate. Yeah, the bus was an auto. Looking forward to it!

Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors! :slight_smile:

Are you still going down the bus route as well Jamis?

Think so mate aye. Got my start date with the buses sorted out but eventually got out pay rise at my current job which means backdated pay (plus overtime!) which has come in at quite a lot so thinking of my Class 2 too - gonna see what its like tomorrow first.

I love doing class C assessments :open_mouth: as no 2 are ever the same :astonished:
Putting a person in a lorry for the first time in their life is usually very daunting for them.
i walk them around the lorry so that they can get a fair idea of its size and for some strange human reason, it helps if they touch it every so often as they walk around it.
I then brief them on the controls and the dangers that the size of vehicle poses to other road users.
I then give a demo drive with full DSA style commentary and end up in a quiet industrial estate where they then take over. Before they move the lorry I make sure they use all the controls possible and know where the pedals are by touch alone - after all, I may need to shout STOP - no dual controls for us LGV instructors :open_mouth: :slight_smile:
I include a lot more than what I have written but thats the basic stuff.

Most people struggle with the high low box if it has one, because you tend to want to take your eyes off the road to look at the gear stick, thus causing your brain to hit overdrive remembering to do everything else in correct order while listening to the instructor too - given a few hours behind the wheel you will love it :laughing:

Thanks ROG, that’s given me a few pointers. :slight_smile:

Thanks Toby - I’m doing it with Scania so don’t know what gearbox it’s got !

My assesment went along the lines of …“ahh another lamb to the slaughter” …“in you get”…“right second is a good gear to start in”…“off you go then”.

I make it sound worse than it was, although he was very laid back he told me exactly what to do and I passed first time in the end.

thats exactly what my assesment was like.

he said " have you driven a truck before?" i said “nope”,

the reply i got was “Excellent - take the first turning on the left, oh by the way, theres a switch on the gearstick, push it down to go faster”

I nearly destroyed a ■■■■■■■ 6ltr desiel engine and gearbox :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: