I'm a little dejected!

Hey chaps, had my driving assessment for my C couple of weeks back. Was all fired up and ready to take on this (for me) daunting task, the thought of learning a 4 on 4 box was erm… :open_mouth: Anyhow, the assessment was booked and with my 40 quid I went off to the training school :smiley:

The first disappointment was being kept waiting 20 minutes for the assessor to get his act together, then being shoved into a 7.5 tonne for an hour when I thought id be in the real thing (if only to get a feel for the whole driving experience) At the end of the hour the only problem point was mirrors and was told id need ATLEAST 35 hours tuition running in at 1700 because the 4 on 4 box was SSSSSOOOOOO difficult to learn! :confused: :open_mouth: BUT who’s to say when I DO get in something with more than 5 gears that wont go up-to 45 hours or 50 hours…

My confidence is now shot to sh^t and I’m thinking twice about doing my C.

A waste of 40 quid and its ruined my confidence :cry:

Looking at your profile,you’re a bus driver,you should pass the Class C no problem.
Sounds like you need to find a decent training school though.

as is always the problem wannabes / newbies never let anyone know where
there located if you let us know where youre from someone will steer you in the right direction

Find another instructor.

Where do you live?

Hi Dusty321, WELCOME :grimacing:

I’ll start by echoing gsm31 and scania245’s comments.

Now it might just be that there’s a good reason that you were recommended that amount of training. If you drive a very small type of bus, and were kerbing the rear wheels of a 7.5t then maybe you need all those extra hours, but none of us were there, so nobody knows what was done or said.

As an ex-LGV instructor, I find it a little strange to note that a bus driver would need so many hours to master a Cat “C” vehicle, so I’d advise you to do some research and come up with a shortlist of reputable training schools in your area. IMHO, the only difference between cat “D” and cat “C” is that the cargo can talk :laughing:

If you tell us your town / city the guys will quickly do some of your work for you… :wink:

As for an 8-speed gearbox, you can at least read about them and look at some pics if you CLICK THIS LINK :smiley:
Would you please leave a comment on the end of the link as to whether it was helpful. :question:

I hope this helps. :smiley:

£1700 sounds somewhat extortionate, add to that the fact he charged you £40 for a Class C assessment but actually took you out in a 7.5t, and you never even touched a 4 over 4 so how could he know how well you would take to it.

I’d say go find another training school, a lot give you free assessments too so shouldn’t be a need to pay, would expect nearer £1000 for a standard length course, not nearly 2k.

gsm31:
Looking at your profile,you’re a bus driver,you should pass the Class C no problem.
Sounds like you need to find a decent training school though.

I would agree 100% with this - I currently drive buses and passed my class c with 3 minors - find another training school and go for it :wink:

I’m an Ex Bus Driver, passed my Cat C first time, had a great training school and tutor.

Found the whole Cat C experience not a kick in the ■■■ away from driving a Bus.

Get another training school.

The first disappointment was being kept waiting 20 minutes for the assessor to get his act together, then being shoved into a 7.5 tonne for an hour when I thought id be in the real thing (if only to get a feel for the whole driving experience) At the end of the hour the only problem point was mirrors and was told id need ATLEAST 35 hours tuition running in at 1700 because the 4 on 4 box was SSSSSOOOOOO difficult to learn! BUT who’s to say when I DO get in something with more than 5 gears that wont go up-to 45 hours or 50 hours…

WHAT !!! Name and shame now so no-one else gets stung. Go on, who are they :question: you are allowed to name them :smiley:

Evening all.

To start off have a ganda here eamonnsphotos.fotopic.net/c1292329.html everything you see here Ive driven :cry: so I’m pretty much OK with length and width, judgement etc… Like I said in the opening thread, the only problem he spotted was not looking in my mirrors as much as I should have been :unamused: but I’m sure that will come back when I’m back in the training seat and after a few bollockings…

I live in Wrexham, North Wales and have been thinking about going to PHL on Wrexham Industrial Estate @ 911 for 5 days and the test on the 4 on 4…

The more I think about it the more I get annoyed that I was taken out in a 5 speed, think ill be back there tomorrow asking for the money back!

Best not name and shame, dont want the legal’s getting in touch with me! :open_mouth:

Dusty321:
Like I said in the opening thread, the only problem he spotted was not looking in my mirrors as much as I should have been.

Typical bus driver then. :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

Dusty321:
fotopic.net

:open_mouth: AAAAARRRGGGHHH, they’re all pics of buses!! :open_mouth:

Dusty321:
The more I think about it the more I get annoyed that I was taken out in a 5 speed, think ill be back there tomorrow asking for the money back!

Best not name and shame, dont want the legal’s getting in touch with me! :open_mouth:

As far as I’m aware, it’s OK to say something that’s true, as long as you have some proof… But there’s two sides to every story. :wink:
Did the training school you used actually say that you’d get your assessment in a Cat “C” vehicle :question:

TBF, if all they offered was “an assessment of your driving,” then almost any vehicle might have been sufficient.

Since you’re going for a second opinion, and I do think that’s a good idea, did you have a look at the link in my last post on this thread :question:
I’m fairly sure it will help you to understand the principal of the 8-speed gearbox. That post has pictures and deals with both gearbox types that you’re likely to find in a Cat “C” driving school vehicle. :smiley: