Had an assessment this weekend

I had an assessment with a LGV Instructor this weekend and I was very impressed, I now realise just how bad my previous instructor was.

Here’s how the assessment went:

First off he showed my around the truck, a Volvo FM7 18 tonner, very nice indeed.

Then, we got in the cab and he tarted her up to get the air tanks full, which he also explained very clearly.

He showed me the gearbox, a rangechange one and his explanation was very clear.

He explained the handbrake, speedo, revcounter etc also very clearly. Making clear the difference between a car handbrake and a truck one.

We went out on the road, he drove first and we swapped over in a quiet spot.

He explained clearly how to pull away, how to be ready to switch up to fifth etc and off we went.

The drive was great, I was a tad nervous but all the time he was guiding me, tips for road positioning, gear selection, checking mirrors etc. We even dealt with horses and cyclists with no great alarm.

At the end of the assessment I was still a little nervous but his constant help whilst driving had calmed me to the pint wher I was checking my mirrors regularly and dealing with hazards. He was always positive and encouraging and never negative, in fact he thought I was perhaps a little negative in my outlook.

Overall, I thought this was a fantastic opportunity to get acquainted with my future driving instructor, and the difference between him and my previous instructor defies belief.

Wow, a great day. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

good on ya mate. sounds like this new guy is the exact opposite of the other nob head and a good instructor as well.

if you can get any money back and go with him do it mate.

dont worry about messing up it is all a learning curve and it will one day before your test just click together.

im still missing gears and having trouble finding them, i have just had a terrible week learning the artic but passed on friday with only 7 minors, just proves it does come together in the end.

chin up mate you will soon be on the road on your own in a big set of wheels!

Wozzer:
Then, we got in the cab and he tarted her up to get the air tanks full, which he also explained very clearly…Wow, a great day. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Great stuff Wozzer. Glad you sorted a decent instructor out.

I’m impressed by the way “he tarted here up to get the air tanks full” too! :laughing::lol::lol:

I enjoyed learning in a FM7. Problem is you might not get something as nice to drive when the real work starts!

You have a Message Wozzer

Come on then Wozzer - lets have the name of the school and the first name of the instructor -others on here may wish to know for future reference :smiley: :smiley:

There you go Wozzer, we told you the first guy needed a magnifier and tweezers to qualify as a ■■■■■■ :smiling_imp: n Now you know what a decent trainer is like!

And tarting it up? :laughing: Remember the old yank trucker adage, “Chrome don’t help get the job done”
And best of luck with the training! Get out there and pass!

There’s nowt like a funny typo. :smiley: I need a typing instructor. :bulb:

For the benefit of the forum, the assessment was with Hughes Driver Training of Leicester and Loughborough. They have a website, not sure if it’s OK to post a link.

The guvnor himself did the assessment but as he is a small company he assured me all his instructors are to the same standard as he can ill afford to lose his excellent reputation. Indeed one of his instructors has been there for over 14 years.

Wozzer:
For the benefit of the forum, the assessment was with Hughes Driver Training of Leicester and Loughborough. They have a website, not sure if it’s OK to post a link.

hughesdrivertraining.co.uk/

Like the above, you mean :question: :question: :wink:

WELL DONE WOZZER!

Just goes to show what a decent instructor can do for your confidence.

Good luck with the rest of your training.

The FM7 is a great little truck (easy to handle, no suprises)
and reflects the type of truck your likely to be driving should you deside to stick on a rigid.

[example, Wiseman have 100’s of them, and there’s a mass of FM7 Tippers kicking around)

Saidly we only have one on our fleet, she’s an old lady,
but I dont let that worry me, apearence is deceptive (she still drives like a dream). :wink:

Avoild ERF’s (unless its in-house training)

Q says, go with the second (frendly) outfit

best of luck with it mate,hope it all goes ok.