Evaluation Drive

Training for my Class 2. I’m in the process of passing the Theory & HazPer Test and then the training after that. As I have driven larger vehicles in the past I thought it would be relatively easy. Oh how wrong I was.

Where do I start. Well, it has a gearbox :smiley: I’m used to auto’s It’s only a 6sp with high/low which actually is dead easy to use in the high/low side but getting used to a gearbox again is going to be stressful. I have of course dropped myself right in it as my own transport right now is an auto too :frowning:

Oh, and the truck has got a few more mirrors than I am used to. However, there are a few key points with my driving that need to be dealt with

1. N/S. I’m leaving way too much room. I need to tuck further into the kerb and not leave enough room for a pair of cyclists to get past at times! I am used to checking the mirrors to gauge my width from the N/s but I kept choosing the wrong mirror. At one point I actually had an 8 legger up on the kerb on the other side as I thought I was closer to the kerb but wasn’t. It probably didn’t help that this Merc 18t was shorter than the bus I normally drive so I seemed to have more difficulty in gauging the distance. Practice needed there.

2. Gearbox. Planning things more around the gearbox rather than just slowing and let it take care of itself. I just need practice in actually using gears more than anything. Not sure how I can get around that rather than borrow/swap an manual 'box vehicle with a friend :astonished: and let him use mine. Similar models except mine’s an V8 Auto and he’s got a 2.5 TD.

3. Planning ahead seemed to be OK but I need to go slower around some hazards and get into strides in using the gearbox. Hit the O/S kerb on a short dual carriageway section passing some roadworks on the N/S.

4. Attitude to other road users. Planning and speed. Letting the gearbox lull me into a false sense of security. Did I mention the gearbox?

The training school think I need a weeks worth of training and then the test. Slightly over budget but I can manage…

I’ve gone with J Coates, based out of Leicester but from their Coventry depot and it will be in a Merc 18t box.

I certainly thought the eval would be easier than what it was, but clearly I need more practice and stuff :astonished:

This is only the second step (first was actually getting started with the learning/books stuff). Next is the Theory/HazPer followed by Practical… :unamused: :unamused:

Just forget any other previous driving you have done in the past as this is a totally different ball game. Just take in everything your instructer tells you and learn a whole new technique to driving. As you have already discovered the gearboxes are totally different, handling ect.

Goodluck in the future with your training and tests :smiley:

I feel your pain.

Before the drive earlier I didn’t think I would have much of a problem but it is significantly harder than I had imagined :astonished:

PhillH:
I feel your pain.

Thanks :wink: Oh, BTW, I like your signature :wink: Quite fitting within this section of the forum :smiley: