Well, blow me

Heres something i have never seen before.
walked past a mates cab last night just as he picked up his trailer. Then there was a whoosh of air like he’d ripped his air line off. except he hadnt connected anything, just lifted the trailer up. We looked at his red line and there was a small hole in it, about the size of an airgun pellet. I know lines can wear and maybe split but this just burst.
How would that happen? And we were discussing what if it had happened when he was 44t coasting down corley bank… :cry:

also had something similar happen once, the airline was infront of the rear lamp and it appeared the heat had weakened the plastic and burst a hole. :blush:

Tends to happen more with high intensity halogen bulbs. I adjust the light so it’s not directly on the air line :slight_smile:

lee mc67:
Tends to happen more with high intensity halogen bulbs. I adjust the light so it’s not directly on the air line :slight_smile:

I never understand why most worklamps are down low right next to the airlines :confused:
They should be high up shining down :sunglasses:

I worried when I read the title of this thread :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

4whatitsworth:

The only problem with that is you won`t have the light to illuminate under the trailer when your trying to fix the dog clip to the 5th wheel. Which is why most of the “cat lights” on the trucks I know of are mounted on the opposite side to the steps

well if he was coasting down the the hill at 44 tonnes his trailer brakes would of come on if his red line broke, :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

wildfire:
well if he was coasting down the the hill at 44 tonnes his trailer brakes would of come on if his red line broke, :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Kinda think that was the point he was making, I dont fancy that at 56. though if the repture wasnt complete there might be a few seconds until total lockup :open_mouth:

eddie snax:

wildfire:

Kinda think that was the point he was making, I dont fancy that at 56. though if the repture wasnt complete there might be a few seconds until total lockup :open_mouth:

Yep, thats exactly the point i was making.
Scary thought innit. :open_mouth:

del949:

and yeah, thought you might :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lilysgranpa:

del949:

and yeah, thought you might :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Only reason I bothered to read it. :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

peirre:

4whatitsworth:

The only problem with that is you won`t have the light to illuminate under the trailer when your trying to fix the dog clip to the 5th wheel. Which is why most of the “cat lights” on the trucks I know of are mounted on the opposite side to the steps

Good point. Mind you i can’t find the dog clip on my tug in the day light :wink:

Sorry wrong thread. dam tissues

Further to my original thread, the same guy had the same thing happen last night.
He questioned it at the workshop and they seemed to think it was poor quality air lines.
The office staff were’nt really interested, but thats no great surprise.
The replacement lines are much thicker, makes us wonder if its volvo using cheap parts.
For a curly bit of plastic, they are fairly important in the great scheme of things in my opinion.
Anyone else had any similar problems?
And it doesnt look like its the lines touching the catwalk light.

All his brakes would come on, not just the trailer brakes.

bubbles in the plastic during manufacture, creating a weak point?

More than likely the lines whilst in stock have been close to something that has weakened that particular area of the line, if its happened once you just have to fit a new one and shrug your shoulders but twice with maybe a line that has come from the same stock or shelf then it needs looking into. If the lines are from totally different sources the problem has to be once they are on the unit, this sort of nylon will only burst if weakened by wear or heat. I’ve had a Red line blow out from the emergency relay valve on the trailer once, the olive in the connection just wasn’t nipped enough.
The trailer was empty having just delivered a 19 Ton winch to the then new Submarine Dry Dock in Barrow, with that weight on the whole lot would have come to a halt quickly but steadily as the brakes wouldn’t have locked as quickly, the weight helping here, being empty it locked the brakes much easier but with the resulting clouds of smoke and rattling back end, by the way when this happens the trailer brakes come on before the tractor as the engine is still supplying enough air to the tractor, the leak being after the tractor system, remember how quickly the trailer brakes come on once you pull the red line off. The dodgy thing would be when on a bend and in the wet when this happens, I happened to be on a straight stretch of road and the outfit pulled up in a nice straight line, still gets the old ticker going though.
My Brother who drove for Gateway was on the M1 when his nearside chamber pipes burst and pulled him into the hardshoulder, fortunately without mishap, the workshops had fitted a new exhaust tailpipe and had it pointed at the chamber! Food for thought. Franky.