Thank You Trucknet!

Most sincerely. :exclamation:

I had my first red air line incident today. Having sworn blind to myself several times on reading various stories that it could never happen to me as I always put the unit brake on before I leave the cab. I got complacent, thinking my habit was automatic. If I have ever posted in response to such a topic with arrogance, then I am sorry (I don’t think I have but just in case). Time to eat some humble pie.

Somehow today I had the moment of “why is that trailer moving by… oh ■■■■!”. For some reason, in this moment of panic I did the right thing and pulled the red airline, and it stopped rolling.

I believe every bit of that reaction was down to reading it so often on here, without a doubt.

In particular I was put in mind of a story by Harry Monk (I think), about how he casually climbed back down after a similar incident as if he did precisely as he intended to do :laughing: . I had a short laugh/cry of panic relief quietly to myself after my rear end stopped contracting.

I was rolling towards a truck parked across the front of the trailers, so it could have been a bit messy. Though I don’t think Johnny Foreigner realise. I think in total I moved about 12 feet.

There is most definately a fair bit of chaff on here, but it seems you guys are imparting the wisdom that really counts when it comes down to it.

So thank you, very much indeed, minor crisis averted, and I will be checking the parking brake much more thoroughly from now on.

:blush:

Glad you didn’t get hurt in what could have been a nasty incident. It’ll be a while before you do that again eh? :wink:

I made that mistake once and now I always recheck handbrake. We all think it could never happen to us til it does and then you realise how easily it can happen.

been there done that … lesson learnt , won’t be doing that in a hurry again I can tell ya :blush: :open_mouth:

Another reason why aswell as making sure the unit park brake is on, that the trailer brake should be checked before reversing under.

If its not on & the trailer has lost its air, its possible that as you reverse under it you push it backwards. Let say its parked back to back with another trailer, like they often are on docks, & another driver you know (or even one you don’t) is at the back of his trailer (the one behind yours) putting his number plate on.

'nuff said.

This happened not long ago at work ( not me ) just after I had the incident with the curtains :blush: one of the driver was boasting that he had never had an accident in 10 years then went to collect a trailer forgot to place handbreak on connected the red airline the the unit started rolling but kept on rolling into a container that was parked up £3k worth of damage but was then sacked

Thank you for this is all I have hoped to hear! We lay Gary to rest tomorrow its been a hard day saying goodbye “Death of a driver struck by his own HGV” Long may you all keep discussing this subject and preventing any more fatalities.
Sam.x

Hello Sam. I’m guessing given the kiss in your signature that you are actually a Samantha? Your’e new here (and very welcome) so non of us really know anything about you or your work circumstances. It seems your reading of this thread is unfortunate timing. I’m sure I can speak on behalf of the majority of TN members, if not all, in saying RIP Gary.

However, we can not get away from the fact that it is indeed a important subject very worthy of discussion.
It may even just prevent a repeat of the unfortunate incident to which you refer. The OP being a fine example.

I always keep my hand on the suzzy for a few seconds just to make sure the world isn’t moving before giving it a twist. I’m never making this mistake again.

Welcome to the club Goosey, glad you didn’t come a cropper :wink:

As I said on the previous thread on this subject, when it happens, and we all think we’re the best thing since sliced bread, but it will happen to nearly everyone, just yank that red line off, you may not be able to look as cool as Harry :sunglasses: but you’ll be in one piece, the one upside is that it’s ormally a once in a lifetime thing, you’ll double check that handbrake now before you go anywhere near your catwalk :wink:

Driveroneuk:
Hello Sam. I’m guessing given the kiss in your signature that you are actually a Samantha? Your’e new here (and very welcome)

You hope D1uk :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63244&start=30&hilit=gary+walters

This is the link to the thread of Gary Walters and his girlfriend Sam(antha)

RIP Gary.

Thanks for your private message Sam, you will be made welcome…

And for Wild Goose, most of us imparting good advice on here have been lucky enough to do the same thing and get away with it. :blush:

Wheel Nut:
And for Wild Goose, most of us imparting good advice on here have been lucky enough to do the same thing and get away with it. :blush:

And in the days before we had the internet to confess our sins on so we just hoped we got away with it. :wink:

Driveroneuk:
Another reason why aswell as making sure the unit park brake is on, that the trailer brake should be checked before reversing under.

If its not on & the trailer has lost its air, its possible that as you reverse under it you push it backwards. Let say its parked back to back with another trailer, like they often are on docks, & another driver you know (or even one you don’t) is at the back of his trailer (the one behind yours) putting his number plate on.

'nuff said.

Think you are wrong here. if the trailer has lost all it’s air the brakes will be locked on. It will only roll back if there is still air in the tanks and you press the shunt button or if it’s a real old pile of crap that has brakes that are wound on with a handle but not many of them around anymore thank god :exclamation:

londonerupnorth:

Driveroneuk:

'nuff said.

Think you are wrong here. if the trailer has lost all it’s air the brakes will be locked on. It will only roll back if there is still air in the tanks and you press the shunt button or if it’s a real old pile of crap that has brakes that are wound on with a handle but not many of them around anymore thank god :exclamation:

I wouldn’t like to bet my life on it. I’ve seen it happen quite a few times. (without consequences).

Driveroneuk:

'nuff said.

Well said.

londonerupnorth:

Driveroneuk:

'nuff said.

I’ve had a trailer roll back when the trailer brake had been left off and I didn’t check it before putting the unit under it and it wasn’t an old type trailer. Soon as the unit made contact with the trailer it rolled back. I’ve also seen it happen on several occasions to other drivers.

Coffeeholic:

londonerupnorth:

Driveroneuk:

'nuff said.

I’ve had a trailer roll back when the trailer brake had been left off and I didn’t check it before putting the unit under it and it wasn’t an old type trailer. Soon as the unit made contact with the trailer it rolled back. I’ve also seen it happen on several occasions to other drivers.

All the shunt button does is save you crawling under the trailer to drain the air tanks, in later years they gave us a piece of wire bowden and a key ring.

Many a time a shunter would drain the air and leave the brass tap open, when you coupled up and went down the road you would find yourself with a few less brakes then you required.

I have been thinking about samiam for a few days and did a search to see her last post was in February.

Now I feel this is a good time to remind everyone about checking unit handbrakes again. Gary Walters was 51 when he was crushed by his own unit while coupling up in Swadlincote.

I have just read the report of the inquest, although I will not post a link to it here.

Just to offer my sympathy to Gary’s family and friends during this difficult time.

Be careful out there. Everyone. :frowning:

Beats me Wild Goose how you managed to pull it when rolling, well done! :smiley: Hard enough sometimes when its when parked up! Suppose thats adrenaline for you. Glad your ok, Ive got the t-shirt too (who hasnt), now Ive got paranoia. It takes make three/four minutes to check and re check :unamused:

Driveroneuk:

'nuff said.

It depends on how old the trailer is. Im not sure of the exact date they changed the parking brake from air operated to spring operated. But basically in the event that your air leaks out, the park brake will set itself. Will also happen if you lose air while your travelling … eg snapped red line