Weight limits and grey areas

As a trade plater I get to drive every make and size of truck,As we all know most weight limits are imposed by councils under pressure from residents, and nothing to do with weak bridges Etc. last week I was pulled for going through a 7.5 tonne limit with an unregistered volvo FH. My argument is a vehicle is not an LGV until it as been registered. ,The outcome is still ongoing because the copper did not know either. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Nice try.
A good vehicle is…

a motor vehicle or trailer constructed or adapted for use for the carriage of goods - this includes goods or burden of any description.

Whether or not it has been registered is irrelevant and being an FH it is unlikely to be plated at 7.5 tonnes or less.
I would start saving up to pay the fine.

Regards,
Nick.

rocky 7:
As a trade plater I get to drive every make and size of truck,As we all know most weight limits are imposed by councils under pressure from residents, and nothing to do with weak bridges Etc. last week I was pulled for going through a 7.5 tonne limit with an unregistered volvo FH. My argument is a vehicle is not an LGV until it as been registered. ,The outcome is still ongoing because the copper did not know either. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

In Austria you can’t drive at Weekend from Saturday 15.00 it was Years ago to Sunday 22.00
But you can drive a Tractor Unit,as it is a Tractor for pulling Trailers but not an Lorry in itself.
Now,Weight Limit in UK is not for Lorries,but it is for HGV’s and im not sure how to interpret that,as a Unit is heavy.
With my English i can’t answer that Question,but i think you are right,as it is a Tractor,but not a Lorry.You are not carry Stuff with it.You just pull Trailers.

It’s a 7.5tonne weight limit, nothing to do with the class of vehicle. If the FH tractor unit is over 7.5 you are not allowed on that road.
Paddock Wood railway bridge is 7.5 limit but I was allowed over it in a 17ton (MGW) DAF when it was empty, this was confirmed after being reported 3 times and being dropped every time.

Martin:
It’s a 7.5tonne weight limit, nothing to do with the class of vehicle. If the FH tractor unit is over 7.5 you are not allowed on that road.
Paddock Wood railway bridge is 7.5 limit but I was allowed over it in a 17ton (MGW) DAF when it was empty, this was confirmed after being reported 3 times and being dropped every time.

It’s not that simple, weight limits are created by local councils using Traffic Regulation Orders.

These can specify what the council wants, so it may be that the weight limit you describe is literally to restrict the weight on the bridge, in which case it doesn’t matter what the vehicle is, as long as it weighs less than 7.5 tonnes.

However, far more often, the reason is to stop vehicles with a plated weight of over 7.5 tonnes travelling through residential areas, or more cynically, past local councellors’ houses.

Regards,
Nick

This is the other thread.

signs weights.JPG

Occasionally you may get axle weight signs like Maximum 8 tonne per axle which would prohibit a loaded vehicle and is open to abuse.

You may get Maximum weight signs regardless of vehicle type, from 5 tonne shown to 20 or 40 tonne.

It is fairly basic stuff that we should have picked up from our car test days :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:
This is the other thread.

Occasionally you may get axle weight signs like Maximum 8 tonne per axle which would prohibit a loaded vehicle and is open to abuse.

You may get Maximum weight signs regardless of vehicle type, from 5 tonne shown to 20 or 40 tonne.

It is fairly basic stuff that we should have picked up from our car test days :open_mouth:

thats all very well but the OP STATES that this vehicle is not yet registered and VOSA do not issue a plating certificate until such a time as it is registered as they are unaware at what weights the registered owner will operate it at, as far as i am aware it is perfectly legal to register a 6 wheel tractor unit with a design weight of 44 tonnes as a private light goods vehicle and pay normal car ved on it, but of course it can then not carry goods, maybe the law has changed but i know a few years back that many HGV repair garages used to tax artic units in this way and use the vehicle to take empty trailers to vosa test stations with no problems. If this is still the case and the limit was a max gross weight and the vehicle was unregistered and unplated at any weight but below the max gross weight displayed then is it not possible that op has a defence?

green456:
If this is still the case and the limit was a max gross weight and the vehicle was unregistered and unplated at any weight but below the max gross weight displayed then is it not possible that op has a defence?

No.
The vehicle has a manufacturer’s plate which clearly states the weights.
Until it is plated by VOSA, this is its plated weight.
What rate of VED it pays has absolutely no effect on its plated weight
and there is no way an FH will down plate to 7.5 tonnes, it weighs more than that.

Regards,
Nick