Want to be a driver, but have a question about hours

Hi all,

My first post on here (although I’ve been reading the posts for a while)

I currently work in an office :frowning: 37hrs a week for really crap money. Really hate it, it’s so repetitive, boring and you get 3 (YES 3) minutes a day toilet break before they are on your case and having to explain why you were longer! A computer tells you when you can have a break and take your lunch and I’m fed up with it.

Been thinking about becoming a driver for a while now, I’ve bought all the books and CD/DVD’s that ROG has mentioned in previous posts and am currently working my way through them.

My problem is, even if I do all the training and pass and then finally secure some work, I’m puzzled about the amount of hours I could be working? I see jobs advertised for 48 hours, but I often read on here drivers saying they work crazy amounts of hours? Is this because they/you choose to work longer hours or what?

I don’t mind working more hours than what I do at the minute, that’s perfectly fine with me, however I have a wife who’s not so keen if I’m going to be working a LOT more hours, I may have to think long and hard about this.

Guess I’m just feeling a little lost at the minute and would appreciate some advice.

Cheers, Martyn.

Edit: should of added I’m wanting my C & C+E licences :slight_smile:

Don’t think jobs are allowed to advertise for more than 48 hours (may be corrected) ■■? But personally my hours average around 55-60 per week (inc poa & breaks) the hours aren’t as set in stone as you’re probably used to in an office, ie you clock in do your work and clock out all at set times, the driving has many variables that will dictate the length of your day, things like traffic problems, loading/unloading delays and you get a couple of awkward days and your hours are right up there.

I do get more money as a rule than alot of my mates (mainly office workers) but at the same time they seem to have alot more time to themselves away from work as they work much shorter days. I’ve tended to find that employers of drivers expect drivers to do long days.

Best of luck with whatever you chose to do :slight_smile:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome MrMartyn1984 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

MrMartyn1984:
My problem is, even if I do all the training and pass and then finally secure some work, I’m puzzled about the amount of hours I could be working? I see jobs advertised for 48 hours, but I often read on here drivers saying they work crazy amounts of hours? Is this because they/you choose to work longer hours or what?

One driver working for a builders merchant on a class C may have set 7am to 5pm hours
Another driver may be on general mutidrop and their hours may vary considerably.
The time from ‘clocking on’ to ‘clocking off’ is not the same as the legal WORK time.
Only driving time and ‘other work’ counts towards the legal work time.
Breaks and POA do not count as legal WORK time.
All the time from ‘clocking on’ to ‘clocking off’ may be paid to you by a company or they may not pay for breaks - ask at interview.
What time a company pay you for and the legal work time for the driver regs are usually different.
A driver may not be on hourly pay (but I recommend they are) but on salary for a set amount of hours - just because they do not do that set of hours but get paid for them is not the same as the hours they put for the driver regulations.
I hope I have made some sense…
Some useful links…
EU DRIVER REGS
VOSA DRIVER REGS
RT(WTD)R regs

I’m guessing from your username that you are now over 25 so that will be one less problem for you as a newbie but you will still come up against that “have you got experience or held your licence for 2 years?” block that many agencies and employers insist on.
A read of THIS POST may be useful.

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Thanks for the replies.

I am 25 :smiley: I do understand that once I get the licences getting some work will be a task and a half, however I can manage to put up with what I have now (it’s work at the end of the day) until things improve and I can eventually secure driving work. I’m happy to think of getting the licences as an investment in the future, as long as it pays off for me.

My main question came about from a conversation with my wife last night, she asked how long would you be out for if/when you got/get a driving job, and I couldn’t really answer, so thought I’d ask for help here :smiley:

Cheers

Martyn.

MrMartyn1984:
My main question came about from a conversation with my wife last night, she asked how long would you be out for if/when you got/get a driving job, and I couldn’t really answer

Tell her that you will be out for as long as possible if she keeps nagging you about it :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Then RUN AWAY - very fast :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

MrMartyn1984:
Hi all,

and you get 3 (YES 3) minutes a day toilet break before they are on your case and having to explain why you were longer! A computer tells you when you can have a break and take your lunch and I’m fed up with it.

Its worse working for a trucking company. They know the location of your dump. GPS !!!

Sticker to the office job, its warmer and less stress.

[/quote]
Its worse working for a trucking company. They know the location of your dump. GPS !!!

Sticker to the office job, its warmer and less stress.
[/quote]
Hi,

They might know the location but at least you can take longer than 3 minutes without explaining yourself?

Anyway, it may be warmer in an office but it’s boring the life out of me :frowning: I just can’t see me sitting in an office all my working life.

MrMartyn1984:
My main question came about from a conversation with my wife last night, she asked how long would you be out for if/when you got/get a driving job, and I couldn’t really answer

If you are getting questions like that now, coupled with the fact she obviously has concerns, I don’t think this is the industry for you. At least not if you want to keep that relationship going.

Even with the jobs where you usually do 8 or 9 hours a day there are days when it goes wrong and you are delayed, leading to late cancellations of planned family and social events. It doesn’t sound as if that sort of thing would sit too well with your current wife.

Coffeeholic:

MrMartyn1984:

If you are getting questions like that now, coupled with the fact she obviously has concerns, I don’t think this is the industry for you. At least not if you want to keep that relationship going.

Even with the jobs where you usually do 8 or 9 hours a day there are days when it goes wrong and you are delayed, leading to late cancellations of planned family and social events. It doesn’t sound as if that sort of thing would sit too well with your current wife.

And it always happens that the day you need an early finish to attend something, you can bet your bottom dollar that’ll be the day you’re fiendishly late

Depends who you work for… I do 42 to 44 hours a week, between 8 and 9 a day. start time averages around 4 and finish time around 12. I’d say once or twice a month you might end up doing 10 or 11 hrs a day.

sounds like you work for nissan :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

can be long hard hrs btw

i suggest you go to

The Goods Vehicle Testing Station
Sandy Lane
Gosforth
NE3 5BH

0191 217 1604

and pick up a free copy of
Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs

welcome to the mad house ( even thou your a macken )

And it always happens that the day you need an early finish to attend something, you can bet your bottom dollar that’ll be the day you’re fiendishly late

This is soo true :laughing: i don’t say anythink now about what time i will be back in the yard it’s always a big jinks… I would say go for it the job is great but look into what area of the lgv there are many and they all have differnt hours and needs, alot of companies will ■■■■■■ your hand off for just weekend work and the pay is more an hour so you could still end up earning more than you do now in just two day :smiling_imp: I am a wife and a mother of three and i juggle it and would never do any other job No way No how love my job :stuck_out_tongue: