Drivers hours and breaks

hi all been a while since i have been on here alhough i been frequently browsing all those who have recently passed their tests so congratukations to all those who have passed and are now in the trucking world :smiley:

Well i as some of you may know from my old posts passed my class 2 back in april and did a few bits and bobs on agency work but have now been driving bin lorries for my local council on the agency as well for adecco its not bad and is getting me that all important experience that we all need at the start of this career.

anyway without dragging on i am after a bit of advice i am currently driving under domestic regs with the council doing about 6-7 hours driving time per day mon-fri i am looking to do some p/t agency work on the weekends as well. My question is how many hours can i legally drive as i will be mixing domestic and digi/analogue tacho for the weeks i may get work as dont wanna get into trouble as if pulled i would show my log book from the council showing hours worked want to make sure everything is in with the regulations

hope this is understandable if any one wants to ask me a question on the above feel free to pm me or reply to the post

thanks all

john

ALL the domestic work including driving (except breaks) counts as other work for the EU regs

All you now need to do is to work out if you can get in the weekly rest requirements for the EU regs if you intend to drive under EU regs on your days off

As you probably know the EU weekly rest requirements are to have at least 45 hours off in one go at least every other week (or weekend in your case) and to have at least 24 hours off in one go on a non 45 off week

The daily rest requirements also need to be kept to.

As you are on house to house waste collections then I suspect that you will be doing about an 8 hour shift with 6/7 hours of driving in that shift and having a 30 min break - GUESSING THIS LOT !!
That would be other work for the EU regs each day and is under the normal WTD and not the RTWTD - no worries on WTD stuff

For most drivers it would generally mean doing one shift on EU regs every other weekend if you work mon to fri but if lucky you could be clever with the available hours and fit in an EU shift on your 45 off weekend…

So lets say you start at 6am and finish at 2 pm each day …

On a friday you could go direct to an EU regs job but must be finished by 9 pm because you started at 6 am OR on a friday you could have 9 hours off and then start an EU regs job from 11 pm - if that job was for 10 hours and finished at 9 am on the saturday it would still leave you 45 hours off until 6 am on the monday

On a minimum 24 hours off weekend the flexibilty is much greater

Hope this link works
online.businesslink.gov.uk/Tran … s_0511.pdf
If not matey have a look in post title first 7.5ton job its a recent one on the same page as this post cheers Ed

If you did mix them you would them automatically come under EU ( tach driving regs) law

Not sure what page but this may help

online.businesslink.gov.uk/Tran … s_0511.pdf

Wanna-b-a-newbie:
anyway without dragging on i am after a bit of advice i am currently driving under domestic regs with the council doing about 6-7 hours driving time per day mon-fri i am looking to do some p/t agency work on the weekends as well. My question is how many hours can i legally drive as i will be mixing domestic and digi/analogue tacho for the weeks i may get work as dont wanna get into trouble as if pulled i would show my log book from the council showing hours worked want to make sure everything is in with the regulations

In any week when you drive in-scope of EU regulations the domestic driving you do in the same week will count as “other work” for the EU regulations.

It will depend to some extent on the hours you work but it’s most likely that you would legally be able to work one day driving to EU regulations every second weekend.

I assume you meant how many days could you work but if you really meant how many hours could you drive to EU regulations then it’s 10 hours per shift no more than twice a week, but as I said above it’s likely that you would only be able to do one shift every second week.

assume you meant how many days could you work but if you really meant how many hours could you drive to EU regulations then it’s 10 hours per shift no more than twice a week, but as I said above it’s likely that you would only be able to do one shift every second week.

why just every second saturday.I am know company whea drivers work every week 6 day-legaly.drivers work Monday to friday pm shift from 134pm to 09 pm.but saturday start from 06 am and finish about 01pm.if drivers monday start 13 pm,and he finish saturday before 04 pm,it s Ok form 04 pm saturday til 01 pm Monday 45 hours.full legali.if drivers start monday at morning shift example from 6 am,yes he can t work every saturday

Andrejs:
assume you meant how many days could you work but if you really meant how many hours could you drive to EU regulations then it’s 10 hours per shift no more than twice a week, but as I said above it’s likely that you would only be able to do one shift every second week.

why just every second saturday.I am know company whea drivers work every week 6 day-legaly.drivers work Monday to friday pm shift from 134pm to 09 pm.but saturday start from 06 am and finish about 01pm.if drivers monday start 13 pm,and he finish saturday before 04 pm,it s Ok form 04 pm saturday til 01 pm Monday 45 hours.full legali.if drivers start monday at morning shift example from 6 am,yes he can t work every saturday

You never quoted it but I also said that “It will depend to some extent on the hours you work”, certainly you can work a shift every weekend if you can still get a weekly rest period in, but we generally find that most people can only manage one day every second week.