Agency don't understand driver's hours

Hi all. As in the title.

I’ve had an argument with the agency once already viz a vis hours (it was about rests actually). They seem to think you can work 6 then 5 then 6 then 5 then 6 then 5 (days that is), and everything will be hunky dory. I spent 2 hours arguing by text to try and get a proper weekly rest when I needed it (you only worked 4 days the week before so you can do these extra shifts today, was the gist of the argument), and now they’ve got me on 6 days again (I asked for 4, essay to write), I know for a fact they’ll start ■■■■■■■ with my hours again (no compensation for reduced weekly rest).

How can I make them understand? Shall I just figure out my hours myself and tell them I’m not available on those days?

Sounds pretty normal for an Agency.

Yes work out your own hours and tell them when you’re available. Of course they may not like this and you’d need to be confident you are correct.

In most cases you can legally work 6 5 6 5 6 5 and be ok on compensation

Give me your hours off for the last few weekly rests and I will see if ok

How can I make them understand?

This is agency work. YOU tell THEM when you want to work. They’re not your boss. Agencies are supposed to give drivers flexibility to work when they want, not act like another set of bosses. The only thing you need them to understand is you’ll be coming in when it suits you, not them.

Of course, they can stop giving you work and put you on a virtual naughty step, you just have to play it the right way. Get what you want without rocking the boat too much.

Im starting soon for an agency as a 7.5t driver untill i get my class C … is it worth getting a tacho card reader on ebay for £25 and software to manage hours and stuff ?

Those hours are probably fine and are quite normal in the industry. Be careful not to alienate folks who are giving you work. On the other hand, make sure you are legal.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

MuddaTruckka:
Im starting soon for an agency as a 7.5t driver untill i get my class C … is it worth getting a tacho card reader on ebay for £25 and software to manage hours and stuff ?

I thought about this, purely for own use as I’m FT.

That said card reader cheap enough and tacho master do basics for £1 a week so I’d do that rather that pay lot more for in depth analysis I don’t need.

I’ve tried best to get a sample of the reader file from the card to see what’s in it but can’t find one. Curious to see if can extract bits I want but looks like I’ll be spending on a cheap card reader

Terry T:

How can I make them understand?

This is agency work. YOU tell THEM when you want to work. They’re not your boss. Agencies are supposed to give drivers flexibility to work when they want, not act like another set of bosses. The only thing you need them to understand is you’ll be coming in when it suits you, not them.

Of course, they can stop giving you work and put you on a virtual naughty step, you just have to play it the right way. Get what you want without rocking the boat too much.

Terry T knows the score :wink:

At a simplistic level it sounds like the agency DOES understand drivers’ hours. Two days off every other week, one day off each week in between is legal as long as you get enough time to make up the reduced rest. However, because a day off usually includes a night as well it shouldn’t be a problem.

For example, if you finish at 8pm on Saturday and they give you the day off on Sunday, then start you at 8am on Monday you will have had 36 hours’ rest, with 9 to make up.

The following week, if they finish you at 8pm on Friday and give you Saturday plus Sunday off, starting again on Monday at 8am you will have had 60 hours off. That covers your 45, plus your 9 to make up, and a bit of extra wriggle room too.

Obviously reality might get in the way of this theoretical principle, and that’s where you might need to explain why it infringes their understanding of the rules. However, as has already been said you ought to be free to choose when you make yourself available and when to rest up. If you do it nicely and maintain the good relationship with the agency you should be able to carry on working together for mutual benefit.

Have to say

Agency -1
Driver -0

Agreed. Dependant on the hours worked,the pattern is fine. As regards the ’ balancing act ’ with the agency,i think some ■■■■■■■■ have been talked.

The folks at the agency are giving you work. Its that simple-they are effectively your employers.

■■■■ your employer off and you will be looking elsewhere.

nick2008:
Have to say

Agency -1
Driver -0

It’s true I do need money in my life, so the agency will always win.

As for everyone else’s responses, I think it usually is fine, (finishing at 4am Saturday morning, back in at 4pm Monday afternoon, gives me 48+12 hours (I think?)), but I just worry about it because it’s me with a big fine if the hours don’t add up.

dcgpx:
I’ve tried best to get a sample of the reader file from the card to see what’s in it but can’t find one. Curious to see if can extract bits I want but looks like I’ll be spending on a cheap card reader

You won’t find it easy to extract the data you require from the raw data file. Can be done but not really worth the time and effort. Get a cheap card reader (always useful) and try to find some free software.

dcgpx:

MuddaTruckka:

I thought about this, purely for own use as I’m FT.

That said card reader cheap enough and tacho master do basics for £1 a week so I’d do that rather that pay lot more for in depth analysis I don’t need.

If your employer uses Tachomaster, they can give you a log-on and password so that you can see your own hours without going to the expense of a card reader.

htmldude:
As for everyone else’s responses, I think it usually is fine, (finishing at 4am Saturday morning, back in at 4pm Monday afternoon, gives me 48+12 hours (I think?)), but I just worry about it because it’s me with a big fine if the hours don’t add up.

Quick question. Do you always start at the same time, 4pm on a Monday ?

Terry T:

htmldude:

Quick question. Do you always start at the same time, 4pm on a Monday ?

3:30-4ish. Days vary sometimes. Jobs vary sometimes. Standard agency stuff.

If you have 33 hours off one week and 57 hours off the next week then all payback has been done

ROG:
If you have 33 hours off one week and 57 hours off the next week then all payback has been done

That’s pretty much what I was angling at. If your start time is rigid you can max your hours out on a 5/6/5/6 pattern ad infinitum.

It’s the changing start times that catch people out doing 5/6/5/6.

MuddaTruckka:

mydrivinghours.co.uk/?cc=1

I found this site the other day. Fanstatic site, you put your times in from that day and it creates a log so you can go back and review all the days you worked, when you can start again based on daily and weekly rest periods. It also tells you if you used a 10 or a 15 and keeps a record on it. Last week it shows that had used all my allotted 15 hour days and one of my allowed 10 drive periods. best part is its free!

Radar, what a great website u found there! I’m gonna sign up straightaway, that’s really useful and it should be kept on trucknet for those who haven’t read this topic, I’m glad I did though mate :slight_smile:

Cheers