Driver's hours

Hi and thanks for all the great advice on this site.

I just passed my theory test and am waiting to start my rigid training. One thing I am getting confused about is driver’s hours.

I keep seeing ads for drivers stating things like ‘50 hours per week’ or ‘45 hours per week with lots of overtime’. How can this be, if drivers are limited to 90 hours a fortnight? Am I missing something?

I guess that these hours must include ‘Other work’ or ‘Period of availability’ as well as driving. Or do some agencies/employers just disregard the EU regs? Or is it something to do with the Working Time Directive? I’m getting confused again!

Really I am just trying to get an idea of the reality of driver’s hours and what to expect when I pass my test and look for work.
Any enlightenment would be welcomed. Thanks.

vanman:
Hi and thanks for all the great advice on this site.

I just passed my theory test and am waiting to start my rigid training. One thing I am getting confused about is driver’s hours.

I keep seeing ads for drivers stating things like ‘50 hours per week’ or ‘45 hours per week with lots of overtime’. How can this be, if drivers are limited to 90 hours a fortnight? Am I missing something?

I guess that these hours must include ‘Other work’ or ‘Period of availability’ as well as driving. Or do some agencies/employers just disregard the EU regs? Or is it something to do with the Working Time Directive? I’m getting confused again!

Really I am just trying to get an idea of the reality of driver’s hours

a) yes, 90 hours driving per fortnight. however the WTD (NOT DRIVERS HOURS) limits you to 48 hrs per week average

b) Yep, you are paid for PoA, other work some pay for breaks some don’t. Strictly speaking POA and Breaks are not part of the working week but these adds probably include it as you are still “at work”.

c) No agencies flout drivers hours. The drivers do, its uptop you to keep track of hours

d) go get one of the guides. I got mine from a online shop. 10 pages long with pictures. Makes sure I know what is legal / isnt.

Sockpuppet:
a) yes, 90 hours driving per fortnight. …

And since the 11th April change in the regulations, 56 hours driving per week.

Thanks for the advice.

I’m a bit wary about being ripped off by agencies or employers regarding hours after the bad experience of a family member;

He was told the days driving would take so many hours, for which he would be paid so much an hour. Of course, with traffic jams and loading/unloading he found he was working more hours than he was being paid for but the boss told him ‘hard luck’. Needless to say he told them where to stick the job.

Here is a link to the Drivers’ Hours and Tachograph Rules for Goods Vehicles in the UK and Europe, published by VOSA, so it’s pretty much straight from the ‘horses mouth’.
Here is a link to further explanations of the rules, also from VOSA.
These are both fairly large .pdf files which might take a bit of time to download.

You don’t need to know that stuff until you start looking for work. So concentrate on getting your licence first, then get the hours rules into your head. As you know, there are plenty of people around here who are happy to explain things.

Simon Wrote

Here is a link to the Drivers’ Hours and Tachograph Rules for Goods Vehicles in the UK and Europe, published by VOSA, so it’s pretty much straight from the ‘horses mouth’.
Here is a link to further explanations of the rules, also from VOSA.
These are both fairly large .pdf files which might take a bit of time to download

Thanks Simon, I downloaded the info and will endevour to memorise all 81 pages before I go job hunting :slight_smile: