WALK AROUND CHECKS

HI ALL
Can some one tell me please, what you put taco on when doing walk around checks before and after shifts.

SORRY TACHO

I use "other work "

Other Work :wink:

Cross hammers.

Legally it has to be other work, any time you’re working the tachograph should be on other work.

Surely it’s other work, I know that and ain’t even passed yet! :wink:

Thanks all, a mate just done he cpc,told to put it on rest.got me going.

3 pages on this■■?

m1cks:
3 pages on this■■?

well Rog aint chipped in with a link so you could be right …

OP should be as said x’s hammers other work just as you knew :unamused:

Think about it…
Are you driving…NO
Are you resting…NO
Are you sat there waiting to do something…NO
You are at work, and working, just not driving so there is only one other option…

Always other work, if you get stopped by VOSA our whatever they are these days, they like to see that you did your daily checks by looking at your tacho records, if they see you’ve got in and driven away, they may question you about your checks.

I can drive a different unit everyday so I’ll do my checks first and make sure all is ok and legal then insert my card but do manual entry and show cross hammers for those checks.

Shouldn’t you get in and start your duty BEFORE doing the walk around checks? Should be no need for manual entries

nvHerman:
Shouldn’t you get in and start your duty BEFORE doing the walk around checks? Should be no need for manual entries

Technically yes you should, but the problem is that if you find a problem that the previous driver never reported you could end up changing vehicles again.

Doing the checks before inserting your card saves some messing about inserting and ejecting the card in vehicles that you end up not driving.

But that time still needs to be accounted for, even if you have to do the checks on more than one vehicle

^^^ Yes but it’s all manually recorded as other work when a manual entry is made.

Lets suppose you put the card in as soon as you get a vehicle and probably have to do a manual entry for work at the end of the previous shift and the start of the current shift before being allotted a vehicle, then find a problem with the vehicle so have to take another one, now you’ve got to take the card out again and do another manual entry for the time the card was out when it’s re-inserted into another vehicle.

It’s just easier and quicker to do the vehicle checks and change vehicles if necessary, then insert the card just once and do just one manual entry for the start of the shift, you’re also less likely to make mistakes with the manual entry.

bald bloke:
I can drive a different unit everyday so I’ll do my checks first and make sure all is ok and legal then insert my card but do manual entry and show cross hammers for those checks.

The reason I do this stems from the old tachodisc days when you had to write name, mileage, date etc etc on it, nothing worse than filling out a chart and inserting it only to find a defect.

nvHerman:
Should be no need for manual entries

yeah ok so I park the car walk across the yard swipe in at traffic get keys sign the breath check sheet sign for a smack pack ( accident pack containing camera and stuff in case of ) go to vehicle then go back and get a set of keys to move the vehicle that’s parked in the way to go back to the vehicle I’m using that’s so 30 min your saying there’s no need for manual entries :unamused: dream on